    not sure how.
    Thanks

    Andrew Holder
    Nod, Jul 17, 2003

  2. "Nod" <> wrote in message
    news:3f16b002$0$12152$...
    > Hi there. I often find that I'd like to "improve" a sky in PS7. However,

    at
    > the moment I'm only managing to do it by doing a gradient fill from a

    colour
    > to transparent. How can I do it so that I am gradient darkening the

    existing
    > colours in the picture, rather than imposing something new on top of it?

    One way would be to make a copy of the image to a new layer. Add a layer
    mask to the top layer and make the sky area transparent by editing the mask
    (or make the mask from the blue channel, which might already be close to the
    required silhouette). Then create a curves adjustment layer above the
    bottom layer and put a gradient in the adjustment layer mask. Now you can
    adjust the sky in the bottom layer to your requirements.

    > The same thing goes with panoramas. I'm trying to stitch 4 photos

    together and
    > they are all getting lighter towards the right hand side. I would like to
    > grade the brighness/contrast gently across the width to even it up but I'm
    > not sure how.

    You should preprocess the images to correct the gradual lightening (assuming
    all the images are similarly affected). Use quick mask mode: switch into
    quick mask mode and gradient fill, left to right with black to white. (It
    will show as a red overlay). Switch out of quick mask mode and you will
    have a gradient selection. Now tweak brightness, or use curves or levels,
    and one side will be affected and the other not. If it is the wrong way
    round, just invert the selection. You need to establish how much to tweak
    the brightness, of course.

    John
    John Houghton, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Nod

    Nod Guest

    Very comprehensive answer John, thank you very much.
    Andrew.
    Nod, Jul 17, 2003