    TIA, Eugene

    P.S. This a repost of my earlier message in a different thread that did
    not get any responses. So if you saw it already - my apologies.
    Eugene F., Aug 4, 2005

  2. Eugene F.

    Guest

    In alt.internet.wireless Eugene F. <> wrote:
    > I'm getting around 40% signal mark. Antenna is on the level with
    > monitor's base. Length of the cord does not allow me to place it
    > higher. My LinkSys router is on the second floor.

    http://www.edimax.com.tw/html/english/products/EW-7126.htm
    That antenna might like to have a ground plane, maybe a cookie sheet or 9"
    pie tin, under its base.

    You could put a reflector on the Edimax antenna.
    You could put a reflector or two on your Linksys.

    http://www.freeantennas.com EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock,
    with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in
    signal.
    http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/EZ12-windsurfer.jpg
    http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/windsurfer-dining.JPG The signal with
    the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

    > If I to get a replacement antenna with somewhat longer cord (at least 2
    > Ft more) which one should I pick? Obviously would prefer from lower
    > price range.

    Since you already have an extended antenna, and not one buried behind the
    PC, you are already in better shape than most. I wouldn't bother.
    If you put reflectors on both ends of a link that already works, you should
    have an excellent signal.

    The "Hawking HAI6SDA Directional 6dBi 2.4GHz Antenna"
    http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=143

    The system where I installed the Hawking antenna has a Netgear WG311, which
    has a tiny antenna. The Hawking improved the signal, according to the
    simple WinXP graphic, from one bar to three or four.

    --
    ---
    , Aug 4, 2005

  3. Eugene F.

    Eugene F. Guest

    Eugene F., Aug 4, 2005
  4. Eugene F.

    Guest

    In alt.internet.wireless Eugene F. <> wrote:
    > <<< That antenna might like to have a ground plane, maybe a cookie
    > sheet or 9" pie tin, under its base. >>>

    > Do you mean something like this?
    > http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Canning/pan-crust-step-09.html

    Yes. To be proper, the groundplane would like to be 9.5" of flat surface,
    and I think the 9" pie tin is measured at the rim, but if you turned that
    one over and used the bottom side of the bottom as a resting place for the
    antenna, I would think it would improve the signal.

    Or maybe not... it's hard to say what that antenna is, but it looks like it
    wants a ground plane. Actually, looking at the web page says that it is a
    dipole, so it doesn't want a ground plane.
    I thought it was similar to my mag mount, which does want a ground plane.
    http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/pdf/re05u.pdf

    --
    ---
    , Aug 4, 2005
  5. Eugene F.

    E.F. Guest

    <<< ... but if you turned that one over and used the bottom side of the
    bottom as a resting place for the
    antenna, I would think it would improve the signal.

    Or maybe not... it's hard to say what that antenna is, but it looks like it
    wants a ground plane. Actually, looking at the web page says that it is a
    dipole, so it doesn't want a ground plane. >>>

    As a matter of fact, I did try to flip it over (before I read your message)
    and I lost the half of strength.

    Just using the tin in "upright" position with the antenna standing at its
    center does not seem to have any visible effect on the signal (as reported
    by the card's utility).

    Eugene
    E.F., Aug 5, 2005
  6. Eugene F.

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Try you find what is your actual transfer "Speed". Signal Strength is not
    that important if you have clean quiet environment.
    Extending the Antenna few feet in an Indoor environment might not provide a
    real relief. A good Direction Antenna Might.
    Depending on your specific environment the preferred method might be the use
    of a second Wireless Router and placing it closer to the client.
    May be this can Help.

    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Eugene F.

    Guest

    In alt.internet.wireless E.F. <> wrote:
    >> Actually, looking at the web page says that it is a dipole, so it
    >> doesn't want a ground plane.

    > As a matter of fact, I did try to flip it over (before I read your message)
    > and I lost the half of strength.

    The end of a dipole should be more than 9" above a reflective surface. If
    the desktop is metal, the antenna should be 9" above that. It should also
    be 5" away from the monitor or other metal off the broadside of the
    antenna.

    > Just using the tin in "upright" position with the antenna standing at its
    > center does not seem to have any visible effect on the signal (as reported
    > by the card's utility).

    Jeff Liebermann would have to model that one. I just accept oddities and
    move on. I didn't expect the pie tin to be good that way. It does work as
    a backing reflector for a mini-USB dongle, but that's a different thought.

    Someone else suggested that the effective speed that you get is a
    better indicator than just the little four bar graph.

    With 54g connections, I find that watching the "current bandwidth" in the
    Windows perfmon.msc is a pretty good signal indicator.
    start-run-perfmon.msc
    + Performance Object = Network
    Numbers agree with dslreports.
    + Performance Object = TCP
    "current bandwidth"

    Applying that to the windsurfer reflector test shows 54-48 fluctuations
    with the reflector and 36-28 fluctuations with an occasional 54 without the
    reflector.

    --
    ---
    , Aug 5, 2005
  8. Eugene F.

    Eugene F. Guest

    <<< The end of a dipole should be more than 9" above a reflective
    surface. If the desktop is metal, the antenna should be 9" above that.
    It should also be 5" away from the monitor or other metal off the
    broadside of the antenna. >>>

    Desktop is plywood. It's a computer desk.

    I have barely enough cable from the back of CPU to the desktop to
    position the antenna on its surface. Antenna itself is rather short:
    less than 4 inches from base to top.
    Eugene F., Aug 5, 2005