    --
    *>>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!*
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Mar 16, 2005

  2. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:08:17 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Okay a number of pedants in these here groups love to hit up posters
    > over correct usage of words and language.
    > If you are one of them try your hand at this
    > http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=14457200288064322170
    > http://tinyurl.com/5hlx8
    >
    > I got 100% can you?

    bah i Dun got me
    English Genius
    You scored 80% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 83% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence!
    You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that
    most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not
    afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

    Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

    For the complete Answer Key, visit my blog:
    http://shortredhead78.blogspot.com/.

    ima get paw an show him

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 16, 2005

  3. Collector»NZ

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:47:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > bah i Dun got me
    > English Genius
    > You scored 80% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 83% Expert!

    I'm impressed that your beginner score was the lowest! ;)

    My score:

    93% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Mar 16, 2005
  4. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:05:41 GMT, "AD." <> proffered, in
    : news:p:

    > My score:
    >
    > 93% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert

    Similar to mine:

    100% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert. I take
    issue, though with the answer given for question 40:
    ––––––––––––––––––––
    40. The water from the river flows through the __________ into the
    ocean.
    The correct answer is channel.
    Definitions:
    canal - n. an artificial waterway or artificially improved river used
    for travel, shipping, or irrigation
    channel - n. a broad strait, especially one that connects to seas; a
    passage for liquids; a conduit
    Explanation:
    Water flows naturally through channels. Water does not flow from one
    body of water through a canal into another body of water.
    ––––––––––––––––––––

    By the definitions given above, the correct answer is “either”, imo.
    The other expert questions I got wrong were ones in which I chose the
    answer I would use when the “correct” answer was a multiple selection.
    --
    noho ora mai, ka kite ano
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:51:41 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > 100% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert. I take
    > issue, though with the answer given for question 40:
    > –––––––––––––––––––– 40. The water from the river
    > flows through the __________ into the ocean.
    > The correct answer is channel.
    > Definitions:
    > canal - n. an artificial waterway or artificially improved river used for
    > travel, shipping, or irrigation
    > channel - n. a broad strait, especially one that connects to seas; a
    > passage for liquids; a conduit
    > Explanation:
    > Water flows naturally through channels. Water does not flow from one body
    > of water through a canal into another body of water.
    > ––––––––––––––––––––
    >
    > By the definitions given above, the correct answer is “either”, imo. The
    > other expert questions I got wrong were ones in which I chose the answer I
    > would use when the “correct” answer was a multiple selection.

    Your objections and wrong answers sound exactly like mine :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Mar 16, 2005
  6. Collector»NZ

    Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:15:09 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:51:41 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:
    >
    >> 100% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert. I take
    >> issue, though with the answer given for question 40:
    >> –––––––––––––––––––– 40. The water from the river
    >> flows through the __________ into the ocean.
    >> The correct answer is channel.
    >> Definitions:
    >> canal - n. an artificial waterway or artificially improved river used for
    >> travel, shipping, or irrigation
    >> channel - n. a broad strait, especially one that connects to seas; a
    >> passage for liquids; a conduit
    >> Explanation:
    >> Water flows naturally through channels. Water does not flow from one body
    >> of water through a canal into another body of water.
    >> ––––––––––––––––––––
    >>
    >> By the definitions given above, the correct answer is “either”, imo. The
    >> other expert questions I got wrong were ones in which I chose the answer I
    >> would use when the “correct” answer was a multiple selection.

    >Your objections and wrong answers sound exactly like mine :)

    I got question 11 wrong, Principal should be capitalised :)
    , Mar 16, 2005
  7. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:47:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> bah i Dun got me
    >> English Genius
    >> You scored 80% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 83%
    >> Expert!

    > I'm impressed that your beginner score was the lowest! ;)
    >
    > My score:
    >
    > 93% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert

    Mine:
    English Genius
    93% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 88% Expert

    How the hell is that worked out anyway? Seems like a strange scoring system
    to me.

    Lower down the page it says:

    You scored higher than 40% on Beginner
    "" 15% on Intermediate
    "" 18% on Anvanced
    "" 98% on Expert
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Mar 16, 2005
  8. Collector»NZ

    Ron McNulty Guest

    She has obviously not seen the canals of the Tongariro hydro scheme...

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Mar 16, 2005
  9. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:47:28 +1300, "Shane (aka froggy)"
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:08:17 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Okay a number of pedants in these here groups love to hit up posters
    >> over correct usage of words and language.
    >> If you are one of them try your hand at this
    >> http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=14457200288064322170
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5hlx8
    >>
    >> I got 100% can you?

    >bah i Dun got me
    >English Genius
    >You scored 80% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 83% Expert!

    NIce i got

    English Genius
    You scored 93% Beginner, 80% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 83%
    Expert!

    "Any sufficiently advanced political correctness is indistinguishable from irony." - Erik Naggum
    Robin Halligan, Mar 17, 2005
  10. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:47:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:08:17 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Okay a number of pedants in these here groups love to hit up posters
    >> over correct usage of words and language.
    >> If you are one of them try your hand at this
    >> http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=14457200288064322170
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5hlx8
    >>
    >> I got 100% can you?

    > bah i Dun got me
    > English Genius
    > You scored 80% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 83% Expert!
    > You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence!
    > You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that
    > most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not
    > afraid to use it properly! Way to go!
    >
    > Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

    why am I the only one that got easy ones wrong ???

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 17, 2005
  11. Collector»NZ

    Richard Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:47:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:08:17 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>>Okay a number of pedants in these here groups love to hit up posters
    >>>over correct usage of words and language.
    >>>If you are one of them try your hand at this
    >>>http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=14457200288064322170
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/5hlx8
    >>>
    >>>I got 100% can you?

    >>bah i Dun got me
    >>English Genius
    >>You scored 80% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 83% Expert!
    >>You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence!
    >> You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that
    >> most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not
    >> afraid to use it properly! Way to go!
    >>
    >>Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

    > why am I the only one that got easy ones wrong ???
    > --
    >
    > Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

    You scored 80% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 66% Expert!
    You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced
    level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these
    three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these
    are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them
    properly. You got an extremely respectable score.

    Richard, Mar 18, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote:

    >40. The water from the river flows through the __________ into the
    >ocean.
    >The correct answer is channel.
    >Definitions:
    >canal - n. an artificial waterway or artificially improved river used
    >for travel, shipping, or irrigation
    >channel - n. a broad strait, especially one that connects to seas; a
    >passage for liquids; a conduit
    >Explanation:
    >Water flows naturally through channels. Water does not flow from one
    >body of water through a canal into another body of water.

    If you got the two mixed up, you're in good company--with Percival
    Lowell and his Martian "canals". Schiaparelli used the Italian word
    "canali" to describe the markings he claimed to see on the face of Mars.
    That should have been translated into English as "channels", but Lowell
    used the word "canals" instead. And thus we had Barsoom and John Carter
    and all the rest of it...
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 19, 2005
  13. Collector»NZ

    KewlKiwi Guest

    My score:
    " You scored 93% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 72% Expert!
    You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and
    advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of
    each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional
    score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means
    most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score"

    Could be better if designed to show you the ones you got wrong, rather
    than having to look through the complete set of answers to find them.
    KewlKiwi, Mar 19, 2005