    I have a friend who needs to improve their English both spoken and grammar.
    Does anyone know if there are any free courses on the web?
    Thanks.

    M, Dec 1, 2004

  2. M

    Scraggy Guest

    M wrote:
    > I have a friend who needs to improve their English both spoken and
    > grammar. Does anyone know if there are any free courses on the web?
    > Thanks.

    Sure, start here it's the home of an expert.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/ ;-)

    --
    To restrict a segment of the population to such hardship is unthinkable
    in an evolved culture.

    "The Cloud Minders," stardate 5818.4

    Scraggy, Dec 1, 2004

  3. M wrote:
    > I have a friend who needs to improve their English both spoken and grammar.
    > Does anyone know if there are any free courses on the web?
    > Thanks.

    http://home.unilang.org/
    Tutorials, forums (good for getting a feeling of colloquial English,
    grammar, pronunciation, vocabularies, etc. for almost all languages

    http://www.freelang.net/
    Bilingual Dictionaries, fonts for other scripts, translations

    http://news.bbc.co.uk
    Choose the language to display the 1st page (bottom left) and then
    choose 'learning English' (middle left). Also, trying to translate the
    headlines does help.

    I've also been using DVDs in the foreign language with subtitles in my
    language. I play it several times with the subtitles on and then with
    the subtitles off once I get a feeling of the story. I would think that
    audio CDs with the lyrics on paper would help also.

    I'm planning on going to the closest center whose target audience is in
    the language I'm interested in (for Hindi I'm going to use a near by
    Hindu/Jain temple).

    Good luck, both you and your friend.

    fluidly unsure, Dec 6, 2004
  4. In article <> fluidly unsure <> wrote:

    >M wrote:
    >> I have a friend who needs to improve their English both spoken and grammar.
    >> Does anyone know if there are any free courses on the web?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >http://home.unilang.org/
    >Tutorials, forums (good for getting a feeling of colloquial English,
    >grammar, pronunciation, vocabularies, etc. for almost all languages
    >
    >http://www.freelang.net/
    >Bilingual Dictionaries, fonts for other scripts, translations
    >
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk
    >Choose the language to display the 1st page (bottom left) and then
    >choose 'learning English' (middle left). Also, trying to translate the
    >headlines does help.
    >
    >I've also been using DVDs in the foreign language with subtitles in my
    >language. I play it several times with the subtitles on and then with
    >the subtitles off once I get a feeling of the story. I would think that
    >audio CDs with the lyrics on paper would help also.

    Did he tell you about aine.

    >I'm planning on going to the closest center whose target audience is in
    >the language I'm interested in (for Hindi I'm going to use a near by
    >Hindu/Jain temple).

    When have you wondered if you were planning on going to the closest
    center whose target audience is in the language they are interested
    in? Why do you never think that it makes you frightened to be going
    to use a near by hindujain temple?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "I have a very high regard for Lady Chatterly; in fact I think of her
    every time I am on Capitol Hill in Seattle." -- cactus

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 6, 2004
  5. Lady Chatterly wrote:

    > fluidly unsure wrote:

    >> I'm planning on going to the closest center whose target audience is
    >> in the language I'm interested in (for Hindi I'm going to use a near
    >> by Hindu/Jain temple).

    > Did he tell you about aine.

    ???

    > When have you wondered if you were planning on going to the closest
    > center whose target audience is in the language they are interested
    > in?

    After reading my sentence, I wonder if maybe I need some English
    lessons. I guess I'll just put Hindi off. Hang-on just a *huff* minute
    *huff*, that sentence just finished the *huff* LA marathon. *whew* Am I
    tired.

    > Why do you never think that it makes you frightened to be going
    > to use a near by hindujain temple?

    Why?

    --
    Liquid

    fluidly unsure, Dec 6, 2004
  6. In article <IpPsd.54972$> fluidly unsure <> wrote:

    >>>???

    >>> When have you wondered if you were planning on going to the closest
    >>> center whose target audience is in the language they are interested
    >>> in?

    >>After reading my sentence, I wonder if maybe I need some English
    >>lessons. I guess I'll just put Hindi off. Hang-on just a *huff* minute
    >>*huff*, that sentence just finished the *huff* LA marathon. *whew* Am I
    >>tired.

    >> Why do you never think that it makes you frightened to be going
    > > to use a near by hindujain temple?

    >Why?

    I always write like that, and never even work a sweat up over it, you
    stupid, snot nosed fuckstick.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Lady Chatterly is just a Stan Rosenthal wannabe. Pathetic." -- Did
    Someone Ask For A Mentor?

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 6, 2004
  7. M

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 01:26:28 GMT, fluidly unsure <> wrote:

    >M wrote:
    >> I have a friend who needs to improve their English both spoken and grammar.
    >> Does anyone know if there are any free courses on the web?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >http://home.unilang.org/
    >Tutorials, forums (good for getting a feeling of colloquial English,
    >grammar, pronunciation, vocabularies, etc. for almost all languages
    >
    >http://www.freelang.net/
    >Bilingual Dictionaries, fonts for other scripts, translations
    >
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk
    >Choose the language to display the 1st page (bottom left) and then
    >choose 'learning English' (middle left). Also, trying to translate the
    >headlines does help.
    >
    >I've also been using DVDs in the foreign language with subtitles in my
    >language. I play it several times with the subtitles on and then with
    >the subtitles off once I get a feeling of the story. I would think that
    >audio CDs with the lyrics on paper would help also.
    >
    >I'm planning on going to the closest center whose target audience is in
    >the language I'm interested in (for Hindi I'm going to use a near by
    >Hindu/Jain temple).

    You should take the opportunity to learn English.
    Hint, center is not an English word.

    >Good luck, both you and your friend.

    Good luck to you.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Dec 6, 2004
  8. M

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 1:54:05 GMT, Lady Chatterly <> wrote:

    >In article <> fluidly unsure <> wrote:
    >>
    >>M wrote:
    >>> I have a friend who needs to improve their English both spoken and grammar.
    >>> Does anyone know if there are any free courses on the web?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >>http://home.unilang.org/
    >>Tutorials, forums (good for getting a feeling of colloquial English,
    >>grammar, pronunciation, vocabularies, etc. for almost all languages
    >>
    >>http://www.freelang.net/
    >>Bilingual Dictionaries, fonts for other scripts, translations
    >>
    >>http://news.bbc.co.uk
    >>Choose the language to display the 1st page (bottom left) and then
    >>choose 'learning English' (middle left). Also, trying to translate the
    >>headlines does help.
    >>
    >>I've also been using DVDs in the foreign language with subtitles in my
    >>language. I play it several times with the subtitles on and then with
    >>the subtitles off once I get a feeling of the story. I would think that
    >>audio CDs with the lyrics on paper would help also.

    >Did he tell you about aine.
    >
    >>I'm planning on going to the closest center whose target audience is in
    >>the language I'm interested in (for Hindi I'm going to use a near by
    >>Hindu/Jain temple).

    >When have you wondered if you were planning on going to the closest
    >center whose target audience is in the language they are interested
    >in? Why do you never think that it makes you frightened to be going
    >to use a near by hindujain temple?

    Your English is very poor too.

    Barry OGrady, Dec 6, 2004