    portions of the program should also.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on the settings for this to get it to
    work. Thanks
    I Are Confused, Jan 13, 2004

  2. I Are Confused

    °Mike° Guest

    Check your motherboard manual on how to set the power
    management in your BIOS. Also make sure that Advanced
    Power Management is installed in Windows.

    On 13 Jan 2004 15:14:19 -0800, in
    <>
    I Are Confused scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Thanks Mike. In trying to verify that I had the Advanced Power
    Management installed I searched and found a pmtshoot.exe tool that
    monitors the process as it happens and logs to a text file. I
    verified through the same site that I had the advanced management set
    up and then started the tool. Based on the tool's log file, it
    appears to be shutting down. I am still not seeing the request for
    password when it comes out of standby, so I am concerned that I am not
    looking correctly for the signs of the stand by mode or the hard disks
    turn off. I was asked this question, so I will ask you, how do you
    know the hard disks have turned off? My come back was that I could
    hear it, but I am not hearing a change in the noise level from the
    unit, so I am not sure how to answer that question. Can you possibly
    help on this. Thanks

    I Are Confused, Jan 14, 2004
  4. I Are Confused

    °Mike° Guest

    If the drives are powering off, you should be able to
    here the difference. Though why you want to power
    your drives off, I don't know. Is this a laptop?

    On 14 Jan 2004 09:11:40 -0800, in
    <>
    I Are Confused scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 14, 2004
  5. I would prefer to not power the hard drives off. This is a desktop
    and a company idea to possibly save money. I have tried to find
    documentation to show that Hard Drive powering down is not a good
    route, but I have not to this point found any good back up. We chose
    to put our monitors into sleep mode after no use of 15 minutes to save
    on energy costs a few months back. My experience at that point was
    that most 98 machines do not go well into stand by mode. I have seen
    these machines unable to come out of stand by mode and a re-boot is
    required. I am testing on both a 98 and a 2000 machine to see the
    outcome. I am not able to hear the difference on the 98 machine of it
    going into System standby through the power management or the hard
    drives turning off. If at the log off screen I put the machine into
    system standby, the machine will require a password when the mouse is
    clicked. So I know that it is in stand by mode. It will not require
    one when I let the power management put it into stand by. In system
    standby, the machine does not turn off the hard drives - is this
    correct? I am testing on the 2000 machine today. The tool I
    installed is not showing any problems with the power management on the
    98 machine. I am needing to verify that the 98 machine is in stand by
    mode so that I can ensure that our nightly scans on network computers
    are not effected and we are still able to connect to the computers
    through VPN connections or modems while in stand by mode. Thanks for
    your help so far and any more you can give!

    I Are Confused, Jan 15, 2004
  6. I Are Confused

    °Mike° Guest

    You company *may* be incurring extra costs by continually
    powering components on and off, rather than saving money.
    Turning components on and off produces power surges which
    can be damaging to components over and extended period.
    Monitors should be sent to sleep when not in use, as they
    tend to take up most of the electrical current, and the tubes
    have less of a life span (generally) than other components.
    Hard drives (IMO) tend to wear out much quicker when
    faced with continual switching on and off; not to mention
    the risk of data loss when your system refuses to return
    from standby, and/or your drives fail to awaken.

    On 15 Jan 2004 06:43:30 -0800, in
    <>
    I Are Confused scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 15, 2004
  7. Thanks Mike I have passed this on. Also in my testing I found that I
    could not scan the computer with our antivirus scan engine while the
    machine was in stand by mode no matter what I set in the Bios and the
    power management console. I think that will clinch it for sure.
    Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!

    I Are Confused, Jan 16, 2004
  8. I Are Confused

    °Mike° Guest