Energy saving

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector_NZ, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Collector_NZ, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Collector_NZ

    Max Burke Guest

    > Collector_NZ scribbled:
    > While cruising good ole /. The pole turned up the following links
    > http://www.dansdata.com/sbs22.htm
    > http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/myths/webmystemp.html
    > http://www.tufts.edu/tie/tci/pdf/Computer brochures.PDF
    > Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    > essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on
    > for the PC.
    > So what do the resident nz.comp people say.

    Switch it off; Treat it like the 'appliance' it's designed to be.....

    Of course that will f**k up your bragging 'rights' to uptime. ;-)

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    > essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on for
    > the PC.

    errr, yeah, it'll use less(none*) if it is off, than on(some#), is this
    something new to your thought process?

    *it'll probably still use some if it is an ATX mobo. but willing to be
    corrected.

    #more than if it is off anyway.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Collector_NZ

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:40:06 +1300, Collector_NZ
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >While cruising good ole /. The pole turned up the following links
    >
    >http://www.dansdata.com/sbs22.htm
    >http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/myths/webmystemp.html
    >http://www.tufts.edu/tie/tci/pdf/Computer brochures.PDF
    >
    >Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    >essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on for
    >the PC.
    >
    >So what do the resident nz.comp people say.

    I only skimmed read the articles - alas, I suffer from attention
    deficit syndrome, lol.

    But my thoughts are..........

    Leave the PC on as long as you feel the need warrants. (servers are up
    24/7/365), so they can hack it (assuming the hardware is up to it of
    course). But, common sense dictates, if you've finished with the PC -
    turn it off (full power down) - it'll save you a little power
    consumption. And with modern OS's (such as XP), boot up time is
    minimal.

    Screen savers actually do more harm than good (IMHO). Unless you need
    to "hide" something, and you're away from your desk for a period of
    time.

    Yes, do turn off the monitor (if you're away for a long period). The
    benefit is prolonged lifespan of the monitor.

    One of my pet hates is telling people "shut down the PC".... and they
    respond "I did, I pushed the button on the monitor and it turned the
    PC off"..... and I just want to take a frigging hammer to their head!

    My 0.02cents.

    /Begin Sig
    Welcome to RJ's house of puppets
    #1. Redbaiter - the original - dances when I say so!
    #2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
    #3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig
    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 12, 2004
  5. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 12/10/2004 22:25:
    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    >> essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on
    >> for the PC.

    > errr, yeah, it'll use less(none*) if it is off, than on(some#), is this
    > something new to your thought process?
    >
    > *it'll probably still use some if it is an ATX mobo. but willing to be
    > corrected.
    >
    > #more than if it is off anyway.

    Perhaps I was a little to obtuse, most of the articles also deal with
    the supposed wear factor involved (increased failure rate etc due to
    thermal cycling etc).
    Collector_NZ, Oct 12, 2004
  6. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Ryan_Jacobs said the following on 12/10/2004 22:38:
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:40:06 +1300, Collector_NZ
    > <> provided this moment of wisdom:
    >

    >>While cruising good ole /. The pole turned up the following links
    >>
    >>http://www.dansdata.com/sbs22.htm
    >>http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/myths/webmystemp.html
    >>http://www.tufts.edu/tie/tci/pdf/Computer brochures.PDF
    >>
    >>Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    >>essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on for
    >>the PC.
    >>
    >>So what do the resident nz.comp people say.

    > I only skimmed read the articles - alas, I suffer from attention
    > deficit syndrome, lol.
    >
    > But my thoughts are..........
    >
    > Leave the PC on as long as you feel the need warrants. (servers are up
    > 24/7/365), so they can hack it (assuming the hardware is up to it of
    > course). But, common sense dictates, if you've finished with the PC -
    > turn it off (full power down) - it'll save you a little power
    > consumption. And with modern OS's (such as XP), boot up time is
    > minimal.
    >
    > Screen savers actually do more harm than good (IMHO). Unless you need
    > to "hide" something, and you're away from your desk for a period of
    > time.
    >
    > Yes, do turn off the monitor (if you're away for a long period). The
    > benefit is prolonged lifespan of the monitor.
    >
    > One of my pet hates is telling people "shut down the PC".... and they
    > respond "I did, I pushed the button on the monitor and it turned the
    > PC off"..... and I just want to take a frigging hammer to their head!
    >
    > My 0.02cents.

    Wel done that man, you caught the drift
    Collector_NZ, Oct 12, 2004
  7. Collector_NZ

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:50:48 +1300, Collector_NZ
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >Ryan_Jacobs said the following on 12/10/2004 22:38:
    >> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:40:06 +1300, Collector_NZ
    >> <> provided this moment of wisdom:
    >>

    >>>While cruising good ole /. The pole turned up the following links
    >>>
    >>>http://www.dansdata.com/sbs22.htm
    >>>http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/myths/webmystemp.html
    >>>http://www.tufts.edu/tie/tci/pdf/Computer brochures.PDF
    >>>
    >>>Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    >>>essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on for
    >>>the PC.
    >>>
    >>>So what do the resident nz.comp people say.

    >> I only skimmed read the articles - alas, I suffer from attention
    >> deficit syndrome, lol.
    >>
    >> But my thoughts are..........
    >>
    >> Leave the PC on as long as you feel the need warrants. (servers are up
    >> 24/7/365), so they can hack it (assuming the hardware is up to it of
    >> course). But, common sense dictates, if you've finished with the PC -
    >> turn it off (full power down) - it'll save you a little power
    >> consumption. And with modern OS's (such as XP), boot up time is
    >> minimal.
    >>
    >> Screen savers actually do more harm than good (IMHO). Unless you need
    >> to "hide" something, and you're away from your desk for a period of
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Yes, do turn off the monitor (if you're away for a long period). The
    >> benefit is prolonged lifespan of the monitor.
    >>
    >> One of my pet hates is telling people "shut down the PC".... and they
    >> respond "I did, I pushed the button on the monitor and it turned the
    >> PC off"..... and I just want to take a frigging hammer to their head!
    >>
    >> My 0.02cents.
    >>

    >Wel done that man, you caught the drift

    There's a first time for everything.

    So, what did I win?

    #1. Redbaiter - the original - dances when I say so!
    #2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
    #3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig
    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 12, 2004
  8. Collector_NZ

    Geronimo! Guest

    wrote:

    >While cruising good ole /. The pole turned up the following links
    >
    >http://www.dansdata.com/sbs22.htm
    >http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/myths/webmystemp.html
    >http://www.tufts.edu/tie/tci/pdf/Computer brochures.PDF
    >
    >Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    >essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on for
    >the PC.
    >
    >So what do the resident nz.comp people say.

    Any 6 yar old would know this.

    May be you are only 5...??
    Geronimo!, Oct 12, 2004
  9. Collector_NZ

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:04:00 +1300, Geronimo!
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:40:06 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>While cruising good ole /. The pole turned up the following links
    >>
    >>http://www.dansdata.com/sbs22.htm
    >>http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/myths/webmystemp.html
    >>http://www.tufts.edu/tie/tci/pdf/Computer brochures.PDF
    >>
    >>Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    >>essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on for
    >>the PC.
    >>
    >>So what do the resident nz.comp people say.

    >Any 6 yar old would know this.
    >
    >May be you are only 5...??

    Damn, I knew there was a contender to fill the vacancy at #4.

    #1. Redbaiter - the original - dances when I say so!
    #2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
    #3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig
    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 12, 2004
  10. Collector_NZ

    Chris Hope Guest

    Ryan_Jacobs wrote:

    > One of my pet hates is telling people "shut down the PC".... and they
    > respond "I did, I pushed the button on the monitor and it turned the
    > PC off"..... and I just want to take a frigging hammer to their head!

    I wonder just what they think that noisy whirry fan sound underneath the
    desk is...

    Chris Hope, Oct 12, 2004
  11. Collector_NZ

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:16:33 +1300, Chris Hope
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >Ryan_Jacobs wrote:
    >
    >> One of my pet hates is telling people "shut down the PC".... and they
    >> respond "I did, I pushed the button on the monitor and it turned the
    >> PC off"..... and I just want to take a frigging hammer to their head!

    >I wonder just what they think that noisy whirry fan sound underneath the
    >desk is...

    OMG, I've never thought about that......

    I can imagine the answer though........"don't touch that - that's the
    air-con unit for my desk"

    #1. Redbaiter - the original - dances when I say so!
    #2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
    #3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig
    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 12, 2004
  12. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Ryan_Jacobs said the following on 12/10/2004 23:01:
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:50:48 +1300, Collector_NZ
    > <> provided this moment of wisdom:
    >

    >>Ryan_Jacobs said the following on 12/10/2004 22:38:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:40:06 +1300, Collector_NZ
    >>><> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >>>I only skimmed read the articles - alas, I suffer from attention
    >>>deficit syndrome, lol.
    >>>
    >>>But my thoughts are..........
    >>>
    >>>Leave the PC on as long as you feel the need warrants. (servers are up
    >>>24/7/365), so they can hack it (assuming the hardware is up to it of
    >>>course). But, common sense dictates, if you've finished with the PC -
    >>>turn it off (full power down) - it'll save you a little power
    >>>consumption. And with modern OS's (such as XP), boot up time is
    >>>minimal.
    >>>
    >>>Screen savers actually do more harm than good (IMHO). Unless you need
    >>>to "hide" something, and you're away from your desk for a period of
    >>>time.
    >>>
    >>>Yes, do turn off the monitor (if you're away for a long period). The
    >>>benefit is prolonged lifespan of the monitor.
    >>>
    >>>One of my pet hates is telling people "shut down the PC".... and they
    >>>respond "I did, I pushed the button on the monitor and it turned the
    >>>PC off"..... and I just want to take a frigging hammer to their head!
    >>>
    >>>My 0.02cents.
    >>>

    >>Wel done that man, you caught the drift

    > There's a first time for everything.
    >
    > So, what did I win?

    Ah um Nothing :cool:

    BTW do you have any of the other simple text encoders
    I saw your tests in Test
    Collector_NZ, Oct 12, 2004
  13. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Geronimo! said the following on 12/10/2004 23:04:
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:40:06 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>While cruising good ole /. The pole turned up the following links
    >>
    >>http://www.dansdata.com/sbs22.htm
    >>http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/myths/webmystemp.html
    >>http://www.tufts.edu/tie/tci/pdf/Computer brochures.PDF
    >>
    >>Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    >>essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on for
    >>the PC.
    >>
    >>So what do the resident nz.comp people say.

    > Any 6 yar old would know this.
    >
    > May be you are only 5...??

    ..... . .- -.. .. -. --. ..-. --- .-. -- -.-- .... .. - .-.. .. ... -
    .- --. .- .. -. .- .-. . -.-- --- ..- --..-- -.-- --- ..- .-. .--.
    --- ... - .. -. --. .... .- ... -... . . -. --. --- --- -.. ..- .--.
    - .. .-.. .-.. -. --- .-- .-.-.-
    Collector_NZ, Oct 12, 2004
  14. Collector_NZ

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:29:28 +1300, Collector_NZ
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >Ryan_Jacobs said the following on 12/10/2004 23:01:
    >> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:50:48 +1300, Collector_NZ
    >> <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >>>Wel done that man, you caught the drift

    >> There's a first time for everything.
    >>
    >> So, what did I win?
    >>

    >Ah um Nothing :cool:

    Well, damn. Last time I play that silly game :)

    >BTW do you have any of the other simple text encoders
    >I saw your tests in Test

    It's only ROT13 encoding. Most clients *should* have the ability to
    encode/decode it. Even OE can.

    #1. Redbaiter - the original - dances when I say so!
    #2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
    #3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig
    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 12, 2004
  15. Collector_NZ

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:33:25 +1300, Collector_NZ
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >Geronimo! said the following on 12/10/2004 23:04:
    >> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:40:06 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>While cruising good ole /. The pole turned up the following links
    >>>
    >>>http://www.dansdata.com/sbs22.htm
    >>>http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/myths/webmystemp.html
    >>>http://www.tufts.edu/tie/tci/pdf/Computer brochures.PDF
    >>>
    >>>Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    >>>essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on for
    >>>the PC.
    >>>
    >>>So what do the resident nz.comp people say.

    >> Any 6 yar old would know this.
    >>
    >> May be you are only 5...??
    >>

    >.... . .- -.. .. -. --. ..-. --- .-. -- -.-- .... .. - .-.. .. ... -
    > .- --. .- .. -. .- .-. . -.-- --- ..- --..-- -.-- --- ..- .-. .--.
    >--- ... - .. -. --. .... .- ... -... . . -. --. --- --- -.. ..- .--.
    >- .. .-.. .-.. -. --- .-- .-.-.-

    -- -.-- | --. --- -.. | -- .- -. | -.-- --- ..- .-. | --. .-. .- -- --
    ..- .-. | .. ... | .- .-.. -- --- ... - | .- ... | -... .- -.. | .- ...

    #1. Redbaiter - the original - dances when I say so!
    #2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
    #3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig
    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 12, 2004
  16. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Ryan_Jacobs said the following on 12/10/2004 23:33:
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:29:28 +1300, Collector_NZ
    > <> provided this moment of wisdom:
    >

    >>Ryan_Jacobs said the following on 12/10/2004 23:01:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:50:48 +1300, Collector_NZ
    >>><> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >>>There's a first time for everything.
    >>>
    >>>So, what did I win?
    >>>

    >>Ah um Nothing :cool:

    > Well, damn. Last time I play that silly game :)
    >

    >>BTW do you have any of the other simple text encoders
    >>I saw your tests in Test

    > It's only ROT13 encoding. Most clients *should* have the ability to
    > encode/decode it. Even OE can.

    Actually I have a few different ones on here thought a couple of
    stirrers could have some fun with the less known ones.

    Pmpmppppppppffm
    -- --- .-. ... .
    633|< (not correct name as it is to obvious
    esreveR
    01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001
    48 65 78 61 64 65 63 69 6d 61 6c
    1V]O9"!O;&0@555%
    %45%73%63%61%70%65
    Each line a new one and I have others as well
    Collector_NZ, Oct 12, 2004
  17. Collector_NZ

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:42:50 +1300, Collector_NZ
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >Ryan_Jacobs said the following on 12/10/2004 23:33:
    >> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:29:28 +1300, Collector_NZ
    >> <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >>>Ah um Nothing :cool:

    >> Well, damn. Last time I play that silly game :)
    >>

    >>>BTW do you have any of the other simple text encoders
    >>>I saw your tests in Test

    >> It's only ROT13 encoding. Most clients *should* have the ability to
    >> encode/decode it. Even OE can.
    >>

    >Actually I have a few different ones on here thought a couple of
    >stirrers could have some fun with the less known ones.
    >
    >Pmpmppppppppffm
    >-- --- .-. ... .
    >633|< (not correct name as it is to obvious
    >esreveR
    >01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001
    >48 65 78 61 64 65 63 69 6d 61 6c
    >1V]O9"!O;&0@555%
    >%45%73%63%61%70%65
    >Each line a new one and I have others as well

    Ok, you have me at a disadvantage now. Care to enlighten me? Flick me
    an email please.

    Btw, how long do you think wogor will take to figure out the MOST
    basic one lol.

    #1. Redbaiter - the original - dances when I say so!
    #2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
    #3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig
    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 12, 2004
  18. Collector_NZ

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:47:50 +1300, Ryan_Jacobs <>
    provided this moment of wisdom:

    >On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:42:50 +1300, Collector_NZ
    ><> provided this moment of wisdom:
    >
    >>Ryan_Jacobs said the following on 12/10/2004 23:33:
    >>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:29:28 +1300, Collector_NZ
    >>> <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >>> Well, damn. Last time I play that silly game :)

    >>> It's only ROT13 encoding. Most clients *should* have the ability to
    >>> encode/decode it. Even OE can.
    >>>

    >>Actually I have a few different ones on here thought a couple of
    >>stirrers could have some fun with the less known ones.
    >>
    >>Pmpmppppppppffm
    >>-- --- .-. ... .
    >>633|< (not correct name as it is to obvious
    >>esreveR
    >>01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001
    >>48 65 78 61 64 65 63 69 6d 61 6c
    >>1V]O9"!O;&0@555%
    >>%45%73%63%61%70%65
    >>Each line a new one and I have others as well
    >>

    >Ok, you have me at a disadvantage now. Care to enlighten me? Flick me
    >an email please.
    >
    >Btw, how long do you think wogor will take to figure out the MOST
    >basic one lol.

    Opps, duh!

    Second look & i recognised 3 - binary & "net speak" & backwards.
    Probably with more time the rest would come - but I already mention i
    suffer from ADS :)

    #1. Redbaiter - the original - dances when I say so!
    #2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
    #3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig
    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 12, 2004
  19. Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>> Each of them deal with energy saving as relates to computers, but
    >>> essentially they are all advocating Switch Off rather than leave on
    >>> for the PC.

    >> errr, yeah, it'll use less(none*) if it is off, than on(some#), is
    >> this something new to your thought process?

    > Perhaps I was a little to obtuse, most of the articles also deal with
    > the supposed wear factor involved (increased failure rate etc due to
    > thermal cycling etc).

    oh ok, didn't bother reading them, took your post at face value.
    umm yeah, turning off will save power, and, unless you're in a really
    cold(ie sub-sero) environment, it'll be better for the life of the PC.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 12, 2004
  20. Ryan_Jacobs wrote:
    >>Any 6 yar old would know this.
    >>May be you are only 5...??

    got roger kill filed, but ummm, dont most "6 yar(sic) olds" know how to
    spell "year"

    yes Im well aware that my spelling and comprehension is not perfect(or
    anywhere near it), but my basic spelling is usually fine.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 12, 2004