Energy Saving Tips

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ..., Aug 30, 2010.

  1. ...

    ... Guest

    1. Reduce heater's room temperature
    For each extra degree (Celsius) of temperature, your heater will
    consume 7 to 11%
    more energy. Adjust it to 18degrees which is also better for your
    health.
    2. Install a programmable thermostat
    You will be able to control the heater's temperature during specific
    hours every day.
    3. Insulate your house
    Loss of heat is loss of energy.
    4. Fix air leaks
    5. Close the chimney of the fireplace when you don't use it
    It is designed to drive smoke (hot air) out of the house!
    6. Get an energy audit to advice you about the necessary fixes and
    insulation
    7. Install energy efficient windows
    8. Install storm windows
    In cold climates they may save up to 50% of energy loss of your
    current windows
    during the winter.
    9. Shade the windows properly
    A tent outside the window will prevent more solar energy to enter the
    house that a
    curtain.
    10.Plant deciduous trees to shade your house.
    During the winter they will loose their leaves and allow sunlight
    penetrate the house.
    11.Mount aluminum sheets behind your space heaters
    It will reflect the thermal energy in the room, not on the wall.
    12.Put the refrigerator far from any heat sources
    13.Don't overload the fridge
    14.Don't put hot food in the fridge.
    It will drain energy for no reason. Leave it out until it gets to the
    room temperature
    before putting it in the fridge.
    15.Tidy up your fridge
    Firstly, you will need less time with the door open until you find
    what you need.
    Secondly, the frost will be distributed better.
    16.Keep your fridge clean
    You can save up to 30% of loss of energy by cleaning the dust from the
    back of your
    refrigerator. Also, clean it from the ice which reduces its
    performance.
    17.Switch off the lights where you don't need them
    18.Use CFLs
    Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs are way more economic. Save up to 70%
    of
    electricity costs for lighting.
    19. Look for Energy Star qualified appliances
    20.Use the “eco” mode to reduce your appliances electricity
    consumption
    21.Don't use the air-conditioner with the windows open
    22.Clean the air-conditioner's filters regularly
    23.Shade your air-conditioner's compressors properly
    They will use 10% less energy.
    24.Walk, walk, walk
    Walk to the supermarket, walk to the school, walk and save energy.
    25.Drive slower to reduce emissions
    Aggressive driving consumes more fuel.
    26.Don't pre-heat the car engine.
    Instead, you can drive at low velocities during the first minutes
    until the engine is
    properly heated.
    27.Keep your car tires pressure at the proposed limits.
    This will save you fuels and it will make your car safer too.
    28.Go Hybrid
    Hybrid cars produce less greenhouse gases. Check out the local funds
    and buy one
    at a better price
    OR
    29.Buy an electric car
    30.Use public means of transport
    31.Buy proper cookware
    Make sure that your pans and the other kitchenware fix properly on the
    cooker.
    Otherwise you will loose energy for no reason.
    32.Turn the cooker off before the food is finished
    It will remain hot for a little and the food will be cooked without
    wasting any energy.
    33.Don't use a cloth dryer
    It consumes too much energy. Remember, sun can be a really good friend
    if used
    properly.
    34.Wash your clothes on lower temperature
    Avoid energy loss when possible.
    35.Don't leave electronics on stand-by mode
    They will not stop using electricity. Use a plug-board with a switch
    to completely
    switch off all appliances.
    36.Say no to screen savers
    Turn the monitor off instead.
    37.A plugged charger will consume energy even when it is not connected
    to the
    device
    38.Go Local
    Avoid transportation to far away distances if you can do the same
    thing nearby.
    Choose a local supermarket, buy from the bakery of the neighborhood.
    Also prefer local products to reduce the CO2 emissions cause to their
    transportation.
    39.Go On-line
    Make your bank or any other transactions using the Internet. This will
    save you time
    and transportation costs too.
    40.Don't use the microwave oven to defrost food
    Instead, you can just leave it at room temperature for a little bit
    longer.
    41.Go Passive
    Using the sun properly can save you lots of money.
    42.Use solar water heaters
    They provide free hot water.
    43.Maintain your water heater regularly
    Badly maintained heaters consume way more electricity.
    44.Insulate your water pipes
    45.Install a Green Roof
    It will save you lots of energy along with multiple other advantages
    it provides.
    ..., Aug 30, 2010

  2. ...

    ... Guest

    ..., Aug 31, 2010

  3. .... wrote:
    > 1. Reduce heater's room temperature
    > For each extra degree (Celsius) of temperature, your heater will
    > consume 7 to 11%
    > more energy. Adjust it to 18degrees which is also better for your
    > health.
    > 2. Install a programmable thermostat
    > You will be able to control the heater's temperature during specific
    > hours every day.
    > 3. Insulate your house
    > Loss of heat is loss of energy.
    > 4. Fix air leaks
    > 5. Close the chimney of the fireplace when you don't use it
    > It is designed to drive smoke (hot air) out of the house!
    > 6. Get an energy audit to advice you about the necessary fixes and
    > insulation
    > 7. Install energy efficient windows
    > 8. Install storm windows
    > In cold climates they may save up to 50% of energy loss of your
    > current windows
    > during the winter.
    > 9. Shade the windows properly
    > A tent outside the window will prevent more solar energy to enter the
    > house that a
    > curtain.
    > 10.Plant deciduous trees to shade your house.
    > During the winter they will loose their leaves and allow sunlight
    > penetrate the house.
    > 11.Mount aluminum sheets behind your space heaters
    > It will reflect the thermal energy in the room, not on the wall.
    > 12.Put the refrigerator far from any heat sources
    > 13.Don't overload the fridge
    > 14.Don't put hot food in the fridge.
    > It will drain energy for no reason. Leave it out until it gets to the
    > room temperature
    > before putting it in the fridge.
    > 15.Tidy up your fridge
    > Firstly, you will need less time with the door open until you find
    > what you need.

    Try putting a thermometer back of the fridge, watch how fast the temp
    goes up in 5 10 20 seconds when the door is open

    > Secondly, the frost will be distributed better.
    > 16.Keep your fridge clean
    > You can save up to 30% of loss of energy by cleaning the dust from the
    > back of your

    worked for a retired Sergeant just getting back from Iraq painting his
    house he just bought and the back of the fridge had at least 3 inches
    of fur after wondering why an empty fridge ran continuously. Our food
    and sodas got cold fast, it was a real good fridge, it just needed the
    mat of fur in the back removed.

    > refrigerator. Also, clean it from the ice which reduces its
    > performance.
    > 17.Switch off the lights where you don't need them

    Never used to bother but decided having the luxury of not having to
    take half a second flipping didn't outweigh
    having the power company raising rates every year.

    > 18.Use CFLs
    > Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs are way more economic. Save up to 70%
    > of
    > electricity costs for lighting.

    They started with lame looking lighting but I use them in every light
    in my office area. Never had one go out indoors. But gets below 5
    degrees zero and go through a lot.

    > 19. Look for Energy Star qualified appliances
    > 20.Use the “eco” mode to reduce your appliances electricity
    > consumption
    > 21.Don't use the air-conditioner with the windows open
    > 22.Clean the air-conditioner's filters regularly
    > 23.Shade your air-conditioner's compressors properly
    > They will use 10% less energy.
    > 24.Walk, walk, walk
    > Walk to the supermarket, walk to the school, walk and save energy.
    > 25.Drive slower to reduce emissions
    > Aggressive driving consumes more fuel.
    > 26.Don't pre-heat the car engine.
    > Instead, you can drive at low velocities during the first minutes
    > until the engine is
    > properly heated.
    > 27.Keep your car tires pressure at the proposed limits.

    had a gas guzzler and that was all the difference

    > This will save you fuels and it will make your car safer too.
    > 28.Go Hybrid
    > Hybrid cars produce less greenhouse gases. Check out the local funds
    > and buy one
    > at a better price
    > OR
    > 29.Buy an electric car
    > 30.Use public means of transport
    > 31.Buy proper cookware
    > Make sure that your pans and the other kitchenware fix properly on the
    > cooker.
    > Otherwise you will loose energy for no reason.
    > 32.Turn the cooker off before the food is finished
    > It will remain hot for a little and the food will be cooked without
    > wasting any energy.

    I have been doing that for a while.

    > 33.Don't use a cloth dryer
    > It consumes too much energy. Remember, sun can be a really good friend
    > if used
    > properly.

    eh, my clothes feel funny if I don't use a dryer. Turn off heated dry
    early though.
    monkeywintest, Sep 3, 2010