    Steve
    "http://batterydata.com/"
    Digital Camera Battery Information

    SMS, Apr 8, 2006

  2. SMS

    Paul Rubin Guest

    SMS <> writes:
    > Suffice it to say, the the Eneloop batteries are a major advance in
    > NiMH battery technology, eliminating one of the biggest issues with
    > current NiMH batteries, the self-discharge issue.

    It's only a big issue for a few users. Most people who NiMH cells
    also own a charger, and recharging the cells when they need it
    (whether through self-discharge or regular discharge through use) is
    just a normal part of using them. What we really want is cells with
    infinite capacity, that never need to be charged at all. Eliminating
    self-discharge is one small step towards that, since it gets rid of a
    secondary reason for recharging, but since it doesn't get rid of the
    main reason, for most of us it's not that big a deal.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 8, 2006

  3. SMS

    ASAAR Guest

    On 07 Apr 2006 18:36:39 -0700, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    >> Suffice it to say, the the Eneloop batteries are a major advance in
    >> NiMH battery technology, eliminating one of the biggest issues with
    >> current NiMH batteries, the self-discharge issue.

    > It's only a big issue for a few users. Most people who NiMH cells
    > also own a charger, and recharging the cells when they need it
    > (whether through self-discharge or regular discharge through use) is
    > just a normal part of using them.

    That's been my point for quite some time. Several years ago
    self-discharge was an issue for many users, but with battery
    efficient cameras the situation has changed. For those that use
    their cameras lightly, and only a small number of times per year,
    cheap alkalines can last a year or more with no significant
    self-discharge. For those that use their cameras frequently,
    self-discharge shouldn't be an issue. For the smaller, and
    diminishing number of users that lie somewhere between these two
    groups, as you say, recharging when needed is not only normal, but
    very easy to accomplish. We're far from the days of overnight
    chargers, and there are many good ones to choose from that can do
    their magic in anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or two. And if
    the batteries are only partially discharged, they'll get topped off
    even quicker. As nice as Eneloops are, assuming that they're priced
    the same as regular NiMHs, I'd pass on them if it meant trading 25%
    capacity for a low self-discharge rate.

    ASAAR, Apr 8, 2006