EndNote vs Zotero

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. Company trying to keep out competition by claiming copyright infringement.

    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081104-endnote-reverse-engineering-case-looks-headed-to-courtroom.html>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    news:geudds$fv9$...
    > Company trying to keep out competition by claiming copyright infringement.
    >
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081104-endnote-reverse-engineering-case-looks-headed-to-courtroom.html>

    Hopefully they created their own journal styles from the ground up and can
    prove so.
    Would hate to see competition kill itself by taking a shortcut (by reverse
    engineering EndNotes style format against their user agreement).

    J&H.
    Je|, Nov 7, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    > In message <4913f990$>, Je| wrote:

    >>> Company trying to keep out competition by claiming copyright
    >>> infringement.
    >>>

    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081104-endnote-reverse-engineering-case-looks-headed-to-courtroom.html>
    >>
    >> Hopefully they created their own journal styles from the ground up and
    >> can
    >> prove so.
    >> Would hate to see competition kill itself by taking a shortcut (by
    >> reverse
    >> engineering EndNotes style format against their user agreement).

    > Since when is reverse-engineering illegal, and since when is it legal to
    > tell users they can't do it?

    Dunno, but that's the case that Thomson Reuters are making against Zotero.
    If they're allowed to then case closed I guess.

    J&H.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 7, 2008