    Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.

    From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c each
    International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no longer be
    included.

    Bet vodafone will be happy with this!

    Carl Elphick, May 1, 2004

  2. Carl Elphick

    Carl Elphick Guest

    Sorry, URL with it is:

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,101535-201458,00.html

    "Carl Elphick" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    >
    > From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c

    each

    Carl Elphick, May 1, 2004

  3. Carl Elphick

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:51:46 +1200, Carl Elphick wrote:

    > Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    >
    > From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c each
    > International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no longer be
    > included.

    Remember gentle people, the capalist and the pusher agree on this; first
    you get them them hooked and then you up the price.

    I wonder if they teach that in schools, HA!

    Gordon, May 1, 2004
  4. Carl Elphick

    pbs Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:51:46 +1200, Carl Elphick wrote:
    >

    >>Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    >>
    >>From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c each
    >>International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no longer be
    >>included.
    >>

    > Remember gentle people, the capalist and the pusher agree on this; first
    > you get them them hooked and then you up the price.

    If this was true, how do you explain that many things have a high price
    when they are first launched and then fall in price during the product
    life cycle?

    pbs, May 1, 2004
  5. Carl Elphick

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 17:36:46 +1200, pbs
    <> wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >> On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:51:46 +1200, Carl Elphick wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    >>>
    >>>From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c each
    >>>International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no longer be
    >>>included.
    >>>

    >> Remember gentle people, the capalist and the pusher agree on this; first
    >> you get them them hooked and then you up the price.

    >If this was true, how do you explain that many things have a high price
    >when they are first launched and then fall in price during the product
    >life cycle?

    Because they are being superceded by newer greater products with even
    less features reducing demand on the older model. Anyway, I think
    economies of scale come into it.

    GraB, May 1, 2004
  6. Carl Elphick

    MarkH Guest

    pbs <> wrote in

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:51:46 +1200, Carl Elphick wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    >>>
    >>>From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that
    >>>20c each International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas
    >>>will no longer be included.
    >>>

    >> Remember gentle people, the capalist and the pusher agree on this;
    >> first you get them them hooked and then you up the price.

    > If this was true, how do you explain that many things have a high
    > price when they are first launched and then fall in price during the
    > product life cycle?

    Can you give an example of something that fits in with the business model
    that is the subject of this thread?

    It may be that a service that is introduced at a low price to get people to
    try it, then has the price increased later may not be that similar to a DVD
    player or whatever.

    Of course it WAS quite a few years ago when I did economics at university
    so I could be mistaken!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 1, 2004
  7. On Sat, 1 May 2004 05:50:37 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    wrote:

    >pbs <> wrote in
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >>> Remember gentle people, the capalist and the pusher agree on this;
    >>> first you get them them hooked and then you up the price.

    >> If this was true, how do you explain that many things have a high
    >> price when they are first launched and then fall in price during the
    >> product life cycle?

    >Can you give an example of something that fits in with the business model
    >that is the subject of this thread?
    >
    >It may be that a service that is introduced at a low price to get people to
    >try it, then has the price increased later may not be that similar to a DVD
    >player or whatever.
    >
    >Of course it WAS quite a few years ago when I did economics at university
    >so I could be mistaken!

    Heroin, cocaine, etch

    Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce, May 1, 2004
  8. Carl Elphick

    TEX Guest

    Carl Elphick wrote:
    > Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    >
    > From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c each
    > International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no longer be
    > included.
    >
    > Bet vodafone will be happy with this!

    So does this include all users who have currently signed up with $10 txting?

    If this does. It is total BS. They can't truly get away with this sort
    of shit.

    Just my opinion anyway.

    TEX

    TEX, May 1, 2004
  9. Carl Elphick

    Damon Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 19:42:57 +1200, TEX <> wrote:

    >Carl Elphick wrote:
    >> Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    >>
    >> From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c each
    >> International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no longer be
    >> included.
    >>
    >> Bet vodafone will be happy with this!
    >>

    >So does this include all users who have currently signed up with $10 txting?

    That's almost 17 messages a day. Who on earth could use that many
    messages?

    Damon Nomad, May 1, 2004
  10. Carl Elphick

    Nigel Guest

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 23:01:43 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:

    > That's almost 17 messages a day. Who on earth could use that many
    > messages?

    Not me for sure, but I think you would be surprised how many do.

    Nigel

    Nigel, May 1, 2004
  11. Carl Elphick

    geoffm Guest

    wrote:

    >It may be that a service that is introduced at a low price to get people to
    >try it, then has the price increased later may not be that similar to a DVD
    >player or whatever.

    ATM fees

    geoffm, May 1, 2004
  12. Carl Elphick

    brundlefly Guest

    "Damon Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 01 May 2004 19:42:57 +1200, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    > >Carl Elphick wrote:
    > >> Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    > >>
    > >> From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c

    each
    > >> International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no

    longer be
    > >> included.
    > >>
    > >> Bet vodafone will be happy with this!
    > >>

    > >So does this include all users who have currently signed up with $10

    txting?

    > That's almost 17 messages a day. Who on earth could use that many
    > messages?

    herds of teens with thumbs of steel

    brundlefly, May 1, 2004
  13. > That's almost 17 messages a day. Who on earth could use that many
    > messages?

    My teenage daughter and her friends ! On reflection, 17 a day might be a
    little on the short side. They use it instead of using the old fashion way -
    talking to each other.

    ~!@#$%^&*()_+

    Comic Book Guy : "Inspired by the most logical race in the galaxy, the
    Vulcans, breeding will be permitted once every seven years. For many of you
    this will mean much less breeding, for me, much much more."

    Waylon Smithers, May 1, 2004
  14. Carl Elphick

    TEX Guest

    Damon Nomad wrote:

    It's not just the 17 messages a day, it is the fact you loose the
    international txting too. Think about the number of that have changed to
    027 just for the free texting and now they decide they gonna change the
    way they play the game. WTF is with that. This is the sort of thing that
    pisses me off.

    I have always been with telecom, but I could have stayed with my 025
    considering changing to 027 has not given me additional benifits.

    TEX

    TEX, May 2, 2004
  15. Carl Elphick

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 02 May 2004 13:02:37 +1200, TEX wrote:

    > Damon Nomad wrote:
    >
    > It's not just the 17 messages a day, it is the fact you loose the
    > international txting too. Think about the number of that have changed to
    > 027 just for the free texting and now they decide they gonna change the
    > way they play the game. WTF is with that. This is the sort of thing that
    > pisses me off.
    >
    > I have always been with telecom, but I could have stayed with my 025
    > considering changing to 027 has not given me additional benifits.

    There was probably some technical benefit for Telecom to get youse to
    convert over to numbers beginning with 027.

    So it dangled a carrot to get youse to change numbers.

    Now that people have changed over, it removed the carrot.

    Divine

    --
    "What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
    Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."

    Divine, May 2, 2004
  16. Carl Elphick

    TEX Guest

    Divine wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 May 2004 13:02:37 +1200, TEX wrote:
    >

    >>Damon Nomad wrote:
    >>
    >>It's not just the 17 messages a day, it is the fact you loose the
    >>international txting too. Think about the number of that have changed to
    >>027 just for the free texting and now they decide they gonna change the
    >>way they play the game. WTF is with that. This is the sort of thing that
    >>pisses me off.
    >>
    >>I have always been with telecom, but I could have stayed with my 025
    >>considering changing to 027 has not given me additional benifits.

    > There was probably some technical benefit for Telecom to get youse to
    > convert over to numbers beginning with 027.
    >
    > So it dangled a carrot to get youse to change numbers.
    >
    > Now that people have changed over, it removed the carrot.
    >

    > Divine

    Fully agree. Although I would really like to shove that carrot where the
    sun don't shine....

    TEX

    TEX, May 2, 2004
  17. Carl Elphick

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 02 May 2004 14:16:23 +1200, TEX wrote:

    >>>I have always been with telecom, but I could have stayed with my 025
    >>>considering changing to 027 has not given me additional benifits.

    >> There was probably some technical benefit for Telecom to get youse to
    >> convert over to numbers beginning with 027.
    >> So it dangled a carrot to get youse to change numbers.
    >> Now that people have changed over, it removed the carrot.

    > Fully agree. Although I would really like to shove that carrot where the
    > sun don't shine....

    Personally, I don't, and never have, used text messaging. Actually, I have
    an oldish prepay cell phone which I only ever use for emergency calls
    outwards.

    Divine

    Divine, May 2, 2004
  18. Carl Elphick

    A Guest

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 13:51:46 +1200, "Carl Elphick" <>
    wrote:

    >Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    >
    >From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c each
    >International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no longer be
    >included.
    >
    >Bet vodafone will be happy with this!

    Maybe - depends how much they use to make from charging Telecom for
    the Telecom->Vodafone text messages. (they could probably hook up an
    027 phone to a PC to continually send text messages to an 021 number
    to drive up the revenue :))

    I don't mind Telecom changing the terms and conditions (hands up those
    of you who thought the $10 text deal would last forever? Come on -own
    up - I've got a bridge to sell you) but it should have lasted a bit
    longer than it has.

    A, May 2, 2004
  19. Carl Elphick

    Max Burke Guest

    Damon Nomad scribbled:

    > On Sat, 01 May 2004 19:42:57 +1200, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    >> Carl Elphick wrote:
    >>> Just received a letter from them, and found it on their website.
    >>>
    >>> From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c
    >>> each International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no
    >>> longer be included.
    >>>
    >>> Bet vodafone will be happy with this!
    >>>

    >> So does this include all users who have currently signed up with $10
    >> txting?

    > That's almost 17 messages a day. Who on earth could use that many
    > messages?

    According to a news item seen of Tech TV recently....

    Teenagers. Teenage girls in particular....

    Ask Woger; He knows all about teenagers....

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, May 2, 2004
  20. Carl Elphick

    Don Gould Guest

    Carl Elphick wrote:

    > From 1 June, you get 500 national text messages for $10, after that 20c each
    > International texts and texts sent while roaming overseas will no longer be
    > included.

    Humm...

    1. This now puts a price back on the data - 2c per unit.

    From an economic point of view is this a good thing for the market?

    Does this mean that it will force a new price point to come from Vodafone?

    2. Limited to 17 messages per day.

    What does this mean from a social point of view?

    Will this force teens to start talking to each other again? (Yes, I
    have made the assumption that 'unlimited' texting is leading to people
    not talking to each other in favour of non-verbal communication.)

    > Bet vodafone will be happy with this!

    I doubt vodafone are going to care either way.

    The InfoTech published an interesting article recently about the 'txt
    war'.

    This will slow the trickle from Vodafone to Telecom.

    People won't send as many txt to vodafone users as they have been so
    interconnect revenue will drop off a bit.

    Users want to be able to send messages back (I know I do). How many
    users will have changed over to telecom so they're on the same network
    to collect the benefits.

    Many people in Australia have more than one phone so they can use the
    benefits of both networks to stay in contact with all their firends.

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 2, 2004