End of Support for AVG 6.0

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Hans Moleman, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Hans Moleman

    Hans Moleman Guest

    Not sure if this means it's no longer free, but if you are a Free AVG
    users, you should check this release.

    End of Support for AVG 6.0

    Grisoft announces the end of support for AVG version 6.0 effective on
    December 31, 2004 for technical reasons. This version has been available
    since 1999. It's structure does not allow for further improvements
    planned for version 7 nor improvements of detection techniques expected
    to come in the future.

    End of support means we will no longer provide program updates or Virus
    Database updates for version 6.0 and therefore, within days, this
    version will not protect against new virus outbreaks!

    Current AVG 6.0 users should upgrade to AVG 7.0. Information on
    upgrading to version 7.0 can be found at
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_upgrade.php.
    - October 25, 2004 -

    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

    Hans Moleman, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Hans Moleman

    DoggNZ Guest

    DoggNZ, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Hans Moleman

    colinco Guest

    In article DoggNZ says...
    > Bummer

    There is a free 7 Beta that will be replaced by a free 7 version after
    30/11

    colinco, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Hans Moleman

    Geronimo Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:31:03 +1300, DoggNZ <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:41:58 +1300, Hans Moleman
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Not sure if this means it's no longer free, but if you are a Free AVG
    >>users, you should check this release.
    >>

    ><snip>
    >
    >Bummer

    Many old Virus programs have full support for upto date Virus definitions.

    So this does not say much about Grisoft does it..

    And AVP is the best you can get..

    www.avp.ch

    Geronimo, Oct 26, 2004
  5. It seems like Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:41:58 +1300 was when Hans Moleman
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >End of Support for AVG 6.0

    <snip>

    I never really tried AVG. Any good compared to AntiVir?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Hans Moleman

    Keith Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article DoggNZ says...
    > > Bummer
    > >

    > There is a free 7 Beta that will be replaced by a free 7 version after
    > 30/11

    I tried v7 when it first came out (I was prepared to pay for it) but it
    killed my Win98 P200MMX system=3Fjust bogged the system down entirely. I
    hope they've improved it else I will need to look elsewhere.

    Keith, Oct 26, 2004
  7. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:12:16 +1300, Geronimo <> says...
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:31:03 +1300, DoggNZ <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:41:58 +1300, Hans Moleman
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Not sure if this means it's no longer free, but if you are a Free AVG
    > >>users, you should check this release.
    > >>

    > ><snip>
    > >
    > >Bummer

    > Many old Virus programs have full support for upto date Virus definitions.

    Only for a little while, for example the version of McAfees that I had
    some years ago became useless when it was no longer supported with
    definitions after a couple of years. The old version of eTrust is the
    same.

    > So this does not say much about Grisoft does it..

    It doesn't say anything in particular as far as I can see. They aren't
    necessarily any better or worse than other software makers.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 26, 2004
  8. Hans Moleman

    ***** Guest

    *****, Oct 26, 2004