    batteries. Have xD cards a long time to run?

    Thanks.
    , May 20, 2006

  2. Only a couple of companies made cameras that used the SM...Fuji and Olympus
    are the ones I know of. Because of the way they are designed there is no way
    to go above a certain number of megs...128 I think....maybe 256. Imagine
    using one of those in a 8 mp camera!

    There are programs that can recover the file structure of a SM....googling
    for it might take awhile....but the card may not be lost.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, May 20, 2006

  3. Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > Only a couple of companies made cameras that used the SM...Fuji and Olympus
    > are the ones I know of. Because of the way they are designed there is no way
    > to go above a certain number of megs...128 I think....maybe 256. Imagine
    > using one of those in a 8 mp camera!
    >
    > There are programs that can recover the file structure of a SM....googling
    > for it might take awhile....but the card may not be lost.

    My E20 uses SM for the backup card, CF for the main one. It's really
    cool to be able to pluck out your memory card and keep on shooting while
    it gets downloaded or an image grabbed off or whatever.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, May 20, 2006
  4. ASAAR Guest

    On 20 May 2006 10:07:48 -0700, wrote:

    > As a replacement I am considering the Fujifilm S7000, since it takes
    > AA batteries. Have xD cards a long time to run?

    It should be a considerable amount of time. The xD card
    manufacturers have committed themselves to regular card size
    increases for the next several years, at least up to 8GB. It
    shouldn't matter that much for the S7000 though, since it can use
    either CF or xD cards.
    ASAAR, May 20, 2006
  5. Guest

    On 20 May 2006 10:07:48 -0700, wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My usual suppliers have stopped selling smartmedia. Is it still being
    > manufactured? My camera, an Olympus C4000Z is good enough, but I may
    > need to get a new camera if I can't get replacement cards. I have
    > already had a card fail.

    I believe SM card manufacture was ceased 18 months ago.
    , May 20, 2006
  6. <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My usual suppliers have stopped selling smartmedia. Is it still
    > being
    > manufactured? My camera, an Olympus C4000Z is good enough, but I
    > may
    > need to get a new camera if I can't get replacement cards. I have
    > already had a card fail.
    >
    > Here is a picture from the camera:
    > http://www.setday.com/devarayanadurga.jpg, which looks OK for a
    > snap.
    >
    > As a replacement I am considering the Fujifilm S7000, since it takes
    > AA
    > batteries. Have xD cards a long time to run?

    Who knows how long xD will be around, Fuji and Olympus still use it.
    The S7000 also uses CF cards. You can put both an xD and a CF card in
    the S7000 at the same time and when one card fills up it automatically
    switches to using the other card.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, May 21, 2006
  7. Well....I do that with my E-20 (I have an E-10 for back-up) and I keep a few
    compact flash cards in my pocket. I start with my 1 gig card and seldom need
    more except for weddings or other all day events. I have a 1 gig micro card,
    a 512 CF and a couple of 256's. So....even if I still had (and I
    may...somewhere) a Smartmedia....they hold so little that it would be
    pointless. I shoot RAW so that makes a difference.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, May 21, 2006
  8. Gene Palmiter wrote:

    > Well....I do that with my E-20 (I have an E-10 for back-up) and I keep a few
    > compact flash cards in my pocket. I start with my 1 gig card and seldom need
    > more except for weddings or other all day events. I have a 1 gig micro card,
    > a 512 CF and a couple of 256's. So....even if I still had (and I
    > may...somewhere) a Smartmedia....they hold so little that it would be
    > pointless. I shoot RAW so that makes a difference.

    Yes, true enough. Especially with the size of the SM card. About the
    only time this amazed me was at PMA, when I wanted to test one of the
    printers by printing one of my pix I had just taken. I whipped out my CF
    card, gave it to them, and absent mindedly took another picture of them
    doing my print. Then I realized I was still taking pictures and I had
    given them my card! I felt like a magician.

    But, with the small size of the SM card, they could accomplish the same
    thing with a little RAM memory inside the camera.

    You really shoot all RAW? You enjoy that? I've got to shoot my nephew's
    wedding in a few months, and I've been debating that. The file sizes
    aren't prohibitive, but it would take a lot more computer work than
    usual to get a disc full of the best pix to give to him, or even to
    process for printing. Do you find the quality noticeable better?

    GAry Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, May 21, 2006
  9. Mike Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    X3_bg.24229$...

    > Gene Palmiter wrote:
    >
    >> Well....I do that with my E-20 (I have an E-10 for back-up) and I keep a
    >> few compact flash cards in my pocket. I start with my 1 gig card and
    >> seldom need more except for weddings or other all day events. I have a 1
    >> gig micro card, a 512 CF and a couple of 256's. So....even if I still had
    >> (and I may...somewhere) a Smartmedia....they hold so little that it would
    >> be pointless. I shoot RAW so that makes a difference.

    > Yes, true enough. Especially with the size of the SM card. About the only
    > time this amazed me was at PMA, when I wanted to test one of the printers
    > by printing one of my pix I had just taken. I whipped out my CF card, gave
    > it to them, and absent mindedly took another picture of them doing my
    > print. Then I realized I was still taking pictures and I had given them my
    > card! I felt like a magician.
    >
    > But, with the small size of the SM card, they could accomplish the same
    > thing with a little RAM memory inside the camera.
    >
    > You really shoot all RAW? You enjoy that? I've got to shoot my nephew's
    > wedding in a few months, and I've been debating that. The file sizes
    > aren't prohibitive, but it would take a lot more computer work than usual
    > to get a disc full of the best pix to give to him, or even to process for
    > printing. Do you find the quality noticeable better?
    >
    > GAry Eickmeier

    Use Raw Shooter Essentials, free from www.pixmantec.com , and you'll never
    come back to JPG!
    Very fast, very clever, easy to copy the same tuning detail on several pix,
    you tweedle visualy details and compare the pix till you are happy, and then
    you launch the final process.

    mb
    Mike, May 21, 2006
  10. Mike wrote:

    > Use Raw Shooter Essentials, free from www.pixmantec.com , and you'll never
    > come back to JPG!
    > Very fast, very clever, easy to copy the same tuning detail on several pix,
    > you tweedle visualy details and compare the pix till you are happy, and then
    > you launch the final process.

    Well, that's probably fine, but the Elements 4 that I use processes the
    image fairly completely just by opening it. Any adjustments to that
    would be minor, and probably just a white balance deal, which is
    essentially eyedropper simple.

    Guess I just talked myself into shooting the wedding RAW. Maybe much
    more forgiving of mistakes in exposure or color...

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, May 22, 2006