    Freeware/Shareware

    Cheers,

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    (I meant "anyone" btw)

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Lloyd Jones

    Adam Steiner Guest

    GPG
    http://www.gnupg.org/

    Adam Steiner, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones

    HonestJohn Guest

    HonestJohn, Aug 23, 2004
  5. Lloyd Jones

    THEOLDONE Guest

    THEOLDONE, Aug 24, 2004
  6. >Hey guy's,

    >Can any recommend any strong encryption software?
    >
    >Freeware/Shareware

    PGP(7.03)
    ---------
    pros:
    freeware;
    creates *.exe file;

    cons:
    no folders selection;
    confusing;
    download file size 9mb.

    Utimaco SafeGuard 2.01[http://www.privatecrypto.com/eng/index.html]
    ----------------------
    pros:
    creates self-extracting executable;
    secure delete;
    compresses data;
    shows number of files selected and total size;
    multiple file selection.

    cons:
    uses only AES algorithm;
    no uninstaller;
    no folders selection;
    setup file is 5mb.

    Nexus pro v3.0[nexwebsites.com]
    --------------
    cons:
    gave a lot of errors during install;
    confusing interface;
    bad help file;
    unknown algorithm.

    CryptoUP2.2.3.1 HB9CUF by Hacky
    -------------------------------
    Cons:
    Readme file in German, English text grammatically incorrect;
    Unknown algorithm;
    Does not state web site anywhere;
    no ability to select multiple files;
    Confusing interface.

    Puffer 4.01[http://www.briggsoft.com]
    -----------
    Pros:
    has auto secure wipe/delete option(up to 35 passes);
    user names output file;
    creates self-extract exe file;
    compresses encrypted files;
    public keys;
    multiple file&folder selection;
    good interface.

    Cons:
    uses only 256-bit AES symmetric encryption in CTR mode;
    shows files within .exe file before decryption password entered;
    saves all selected files as archive(single) encrypted file;
    shows extension(.puf), program name(PUFX), and name of file
    in ASCII code.

    (*1*)saves encrypted files as registered file types.
    (*3*)3secs to encrypt/2.7secs to decrypt

    F-secure 2.0[datafellows]
    -------------------------
    Pros:
    has secure wipe/delete options;
    uses Blowfish algorithm;
    has auto encrypt at system shutdown;
    can be accessed from windows shell.

    Cons:
    F-secure 1.0 failed to decrypt files, all were lost;
    nag screen comes up at computer shut-down;
    no choice of encryption algorithms.

    *free download no longer available*
    (*1*)saves encrypted files as registered file types.

    Kremlin 2.11[http://www.kremlinencrypt.com]
    ------------
    Pros:
    choice of 6 encryption algorithms;
    secure wipe/delete options(up to 100 passes);
    auto encrypt at system shutdown;
    good interface;
    variable password;
    compresses encrypted files.

    Cons:
    reveals name of program(KRM) used to encrypt in ASCII code;
    merges all selected files into one file, and names as
    last selected file name.

    *only accessed from window's shell(right-click).*
    (*1*)saves encrypted files as registered file types.
    (*3*)8sec to encrypt/6.5sec to decrypt.

    Encrypt-It v4.1(EIW)[http://www.maedae.com]
    --------------------
    pros:
    has secure wipe/delete options;
    good interface;
    choice of set length of encryption key;
    multiple file selection;
    selection by extension/type;
    option to rename encrypted file;
    has shredder option.

    cons:
    no folders selection;
    does not allow use of Blowfish or DES encryption algorithms;
    selected files cant be viewed.

    *win95/98/NT, last update 1999*
    (*1*)saves encrypted files as unregistered file types.
    (*3*)26sec to encrypt/27sec to decrypt.

    WinXFiles5.1[pepsoft.com]
    ------------
    pros:
    good interface;
    multiple file selection;
    variable password;
    has internal pic viewer.

    cons:
    password has to be 10-56 characters long;
    does not have encryption/shred options;
    allows selection of picture files only;
    no selection by extension/type;
    leaves source file name intact;
    is slow.

    *designed for picture files*
    (*1*)saves encrypted files as unregistered file types.

    Absolute security Pro v3.9[pepsoft.com]
    --------------------------
    pros:
    good interface;
    multiple files&folders selection;
    user names *.exe file;
    compresses files.

    cons:
    does not automatically decrypt into folders;
    no choice of ciphers other than BlowFish;
    password has to be 10-56 characters long;

    (*3*)8sec to encrypt/6sec to decrypt.

    Crypto 2000(v4.2)[GregoryBraun.com]
    -----------------
    pros:
    small download[414kb];
    has NSA erase option.

    cons:
    algorithms are unknown (no choices);
    reveals program name, path, and name of source file in ASCII code;
    reveals that file is encrypted;
    leaves source file's name and file type intact after encryption.

    (*1*)saves encrypted files as unregistered file types.

    Blowfish[GregoryBraun.com]
    --------
    cons:
    only Blowfish;
    reveals program name, path, and name of source file in ASCII code;
    reveals that file is encrypted;
    leaves source file's name and file type intact after encryption.

    *Shredder from same site is _very_ bad.
    (*1*)saves encrypted files as unregistered file types.

    Norton Secret Stuff1.0
    ----------------------
    pros:
    creates self-decrypting executable file;
    compresses cipher file;
    no installation required;
    program is small[618kb].

    cons:
    no options/choices;
    can process only 209 files at a time;
    no folder select.

    *updates/download no longer available*

    ABI Coder 3.5[abisoft.net]
    ----------------------
    pros:
    choice of Blowfish or DES algorithm.

    cons:
    bad interface;
    leaves source file name and type intact;
    no ability to select multiple files;
    is extremely slow.

    Spytech CipherWorks 2.0
    -----------------------
    cons:
    confusing interface;
    does not offer Blowfish/DES;
    no multiple file selection.

    SECURE 2.0
    ----------
    cons:
    is extremely slow.
    bad interface;
    leaves source file name and type intact;
    no options/choices;
    algorithms are unknown (no choices).

    Invisible secrets 2.1
    ---------------------
    pros:
    hides data/pics within a pic

    cons:
    data cant be viewed in DOS EDITOR
    need software to view hidden data.

    UnBreakable Encryption (UBE)v2.1
    --------------------------------
    cons:
    confusing interface;
    no multiple file selection.

    PC Security(tropsoft) - [bad program]

    PhotoEncrypt 2.5[http://www.photoencypt.com]
    ----------------
    pros:
    choice of 3 encryption algorithms;
    multiple file selection by extension or type;
    generates thumbnails/slideshow;
    saves all encrypted files as single named file;
    variable password.

    cons:
    encrypted file bigger than source;
    no folders selection;
    no auto delete;
    selected files cant be viewed.

    *designed for picture files*
    (*1*)saves encrypted files as registered file types.

    Secur-all32 v4.20[iss3.com]
    ---------------------------
    pros:
    good interface resembling explorer;
    multiple users/sys-admin option;
    multiple file selection;
    has file shred option;
    has file lock option[does not work];
    variable extension;
    selected files can be viewed;
    selection by extension/type.

    cons:
    does not change file name;
    only two algorithms, standard & DES;
    de/encryption is very slow;
    loads into memory on start up.

    (*1*)saves encrypted files as unregistered file types.
    (*3*)55.55secs to encrypt/54.45secs to decrypt

    ---------
    footnotes
    *1* - saving encrypted files as unregistered file types
    does not reveal the fact that the file is encrypted;
    therefore, software used to encrypt is unknown.
    However, user has to run software to decrypt it.

    *2* - if password is obscured by asterisks, press CTRL-V
    to copy/paste password.

    *3* - all tests performed on htm files with combined total of 1mb.
    blowfish, no delete source files, pack into single file.

    *4* - keeps file's extension.

    Developwebsites, Aug 24, 2004
  7. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Cheers guy's,

    I'll check them all out now.

    Thanks,

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 24, 2004
  8. Lloyd Jones

    bambam Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:54:38 +0000, HonestJohn wrote:

    > "Lloyd Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey guy's,
    >>
    >> Can any recommend any strong encryption software?
    >>
    >> Freeware/Shareware
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> LJ
    >>

    > Take your pick:
    > http://www.spychecker.com/software/freeware_encrypt.html

    I use the first one on that list- AxCrypt
    Definitely worth a look.

    bambam, Aug 24, 2004
  9. Lloyd Jones

    SMH Guest

    Some great choices either Puffer or Steganos (http://www.steganos.com).

    Shortly I will load an awesome presentation on encryption from the DefCon 12
    conference in Vegas on the DefCon Sydney site
    http://defcon.breachmanagement.com

    Hope it helps,

    --
    Sean Hall

    SMH, Aug 24, 2004
  10. Lloyd Jones

    Kynn

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Maybe I missed it...

    Trolling this thread trying to find a solution, I looked at the above programs and maybe I am misunderstanding the programs but I was looking for a certain 'feature', and maybe it does not exist.

    Basically a 'password' protection on an encrypted file/folder that will 'wipe' the file/folder if the password does not work after x tries.

    Something that integrates into Windows would be nice too.

    The ones above have wipe features, but none seem to have it tied into attempts on password tries.

    Kynn

    Kynn, Apr 6, 2008