    am changing. I cut and paste the key or passphrase from router to pc to make
    sure I haven't typed them wrong. I have tried using the linksys wireless
    software AND the XP built in wireless. Same result. HELP!
    =?Utf-8?B?RQ==?=, Dec 22, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    E wrote:

    > I have a small home wireless network setup. Linksys Router. Desktop has
    > linksys wireless nic, laptop has integrated. Both have XP with SP2. I can
    > connect to the wireless router and share the cable internet easily with no
    > security. The connection strength is good and everything works great. The
    > minute I turn on WEP or WPA encryption and set up the router then computers
    > with passphrase or key, I either can no longer connect to the router, or i
    > can connect but not get internet. The security settings are the only thing I
    > am changing. I cut and paste the key or passphrase from router to pc to make
    > sure I haven't typed them wrong. I have tried using the linksys wireless
    > software AND the XP built in wireless. Same result. HELP!

    You've probably tried all of these, but just in case:

    Ensure that the firmware for the router and the drivers for the NIC and laptop
    wireless are uptodate.

    For WEP
    Ensure that "WEP encryption" is set to the same level (128 bits or 64 bits) in
    both router and PC

    According to a Linksys article (http://tinyurl.com/brum3), after you enter a
    passphrase in the router and "generate" the WEP keys with a WRT54G, "NOTE: The
    passphrase will not work with non-Linksys products, so you will need to use the
    1st key that you copied onto floppy. You will also need the key, not the
    passphrase for using Linksys products under Windows XP." It also notes: "128 bit
    WEP may not work on non-Linksys products due to its lack of an IEEE standard."

    With respect to other Linksys wireless routers/access points, the article doesn't
    have the caveat for XP, but does regarding non-Linksys products.

    For WPA
    Ensure that "security mode (WPA Pre-shared key) andalgorithm (TKIP or AES) is set
    the same on both router and PC. See http://tinyurl.com/cwabs

    See Linksys support. http://tinyurl.com/b6nrv Their "live chat" often (not
    always) is quite helpful.
    Lem, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Thanks for the help Lem. It ended up being Norton AntiVirus and System
    Security Firewalls. I feel like a noob for not seeing that earlier.

    =?Utf-8?B?RQ==?=, Jan 11, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    E wrote:

    > Thanks for the help Lem. It ended up being Norton AntiVirus and System
    > Security Firewalls. I feel like a noob for not seeing that earlier.
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    > > E wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a small home wireless network setup. Linksys Router. Desktop has
    > > > linksys wireless nic, laptop has integrated. Both have XP with SP2. I can
    > > > connect to the wireless router and share the cable internet easily with no
    > > > security. The connection strength is good and everything works great. The
    > > > minute I turn on WEP or WPA encryption and set up the router then computers
    > > > with passphrase or key, I either can no longer connect to the router, or i
    > > > can connect but not get internet. The security settings are the only thing I
    > > > am changing. I cut and paste the key or passphrase from router to pc to make
    > > > sure I haven't typed them wrong. I have tried using the linksys wireless
    > > > software AND the XP built in wireless. Same result. HELP!

    > > You've probably tried all of these, but just in case:
    > >
    > > Ensure that the firmware for the router and the drivers for the NIC and laptop
    > > wireless are uptodate.
    > >
    > > For WEP
    > > Ensure that "WEP encryption" is set to the same level (128 bits or 64 bits) in
    > > both router and PC
    > >
    > > According to a Linksys article (http://tinyurl.com/brum3), after you enter a
    > > passphrase in the router and "generate" the WEP keys with a WRT54G, "NOTE: The
    > > passphrase will not work with non-Linksys products, so you will need to use the
    > > 1st key that you copied onto floppy. You will also need the key, not the
    > > passphrase for using Linksys products under Windows XP." It also notes: "128 bit
    > > WEP may not work on non-Linksys products due to its lack of an IEEE standard."
    > >
    > > With respect to other Linksys wireless routers/access points, the article doesn't
    > > have the caveat for XP, but does regarding non-Linksys products.
    > >
    > > For WPA
    > > Ensure that "security mode (WPA Pre-shared key) andalgorithm (TKIP or AES) is set
    > > the same on both router and PC. See http://tinyurl.com/cwabs
    > >
    > > See Linksys support. http://tinyurl.com/b6nrv Their "live chat" often (not
    > > always) is quite helpful.

    You're welcome. I'm not sure how NAV and a firewall interact with wireless encryption
    settings, but, whatever works!
    Lem, Jan 11, 2006