Encryption Tool Query - Same Input, Different Outputs

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Lucanos, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. Lucanos

    Lucanos Guest

    Hey All,

    I am hoping someone can help me, I seem to recall stumbling along a
    resource which was able to use to achieve this result, but I lost that
    link...

    Anyway...

    I am looking for an Encryption methodology, whereby I can encrypt a
    string (or content) in such a way that the results it returns can be
    different from each other, but when decrypted (using a single key/
    method) the original string is returned.

    Not explaining it very well, am I?

    So, an example:
    "the_string" >[ENCRYPT]> "stygtehitu"
    "the_string" >[ENCRYPT]> "puysnyurwe"

    "stygtehitu" >[DECRYPT]> "the_string"
    "puysnyurwe" >[DECRYPT]> "the_string"

    Where the Encrypt and Decrypt functions are passed the exact same key
    in all four instances.

    I am not sure if this is possible, but if anyone has an inkling about
    what I am looking for, I'd appreciate some assistance.

    Thanks
    Luke

    Lucanos, Aug 10, 2007

  2. Lucanos

    nemo_outis Guest

    Lucanos <> wrote in news:1186730099.875537.68860
    @q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

    > I am looking for an Encryption methodology, whereby I can encrypt a
    > string (or content) in such a way that the results it returns can be
    > different from each other, but when decrypted (using a single key/
    > method) the original string is returned.

    The standard way of achieving this is with a "salt" which is typically a
    random number (but needn't be - a timestamp, for instance, would also work)

    The salt is used either as a prefix or suffix to "the_string" and the
    combined salt plus string is encrypted. With different salts the same
    string will result in a different encrypted message.

    On decryption the salt is, of course, discarded and only "the_string" is
    considered.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Lucanos

    Bart Bailey Guest

    In Message-ID:<>
    posted on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 07:14:59 -0000, Lucanos wrote: Begin

    >Hey All,
    >
    >I am hoping someone can help me, I seem to recall stumbling along a
    >resource which was able to use to achieve this result, but I lost that
    >link...
    >
    >Anyway...
    >
    >I am looking for an Encryption methodology, whereby I can encrypt a
    >string (or content) in such a way that the results it returns can be
    >different from each other, but when decrypted (using a single key/
    >method) the original string is returned.
    >
    >Not explaining it very well, am I?
    >
    >So, an example:
    >"the_string" >[ENCRYPT]> "stygtehitu"
    >"the_string" >[ENCRYPT]> "puysnyurwe"
    >
    >"stygtehitu" >[DECRYPT]> "the_string"
    >"puysnyurwe" >[DECRYPT]> "the_string"
    >
    >Where the Encrypt and Decrypt functions are passed the exact same key
    >in all four instances.
    >
    >I am not sure if this is possible, but if anyone has an inkling about
    >what I am looking for, I'd appreciate some assistance.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Luke

    http://www.lassekolb.info/bfacs.htm
    Set options to rename with random characters.
    You can even alter that name after encryption because the encrypted file
    has an internal header to determine algorithm. If you want something
    that doesn't offer that much information try Apocalypso or Dozecrypt.

    --

    0x5BA09291F
    convert to base 36 for the sig

    Bart Bailey, Aug 10, 2007