Encrypting CD or DVD

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by The Pig, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. The Pig

    The Pig Guest

    All,

    I've looked around for about a week but can't seem to find what I'm looking
    for. Here is what I am trying to do.

    I have a bunch of files, docs, pictures, etc that I want to encrypt to a CD
    or DVD. I would like the DVD or CD to have the files encrypted and an
    application on the CD that you have to run to give you access to the files
    on the DVD or CD. You would have to enter a password to give you acess to
    the encrypted files, etc.

    Is there anything out there that I'm not finding that can do this?

    Or do I have to with an applicationt that is installed on a PC and then use
    to decrypt the encrypted files on a cd? Thanks in advance for any of your
    input.

    Take Care.

    The Pig
    The Pig, Jun 12, 2006

  2. The Pig

    Jon Guest

    The Pig wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I've looked around for about a week but can't seem to find what I'm looking
    > for. Here is what I am trying to do.
    >
    > I have a bunch of files, docs, pictures, etc that I want to encrypt to a CD
    > or DVD. I would like the DVD or CD to have the files encrypted and an
    > application on the CD that you have to run to give you access to the files
    > on the DVD or CD. You would have to enter a password to give you acess to
    > the encrypted files, etc.
    >
    > Is there anything out there that I'm not finding that can do this?
    >
    > Or do I have to with an applicationt that is installed on a PC and then use
    > to decrypt the encrypted files on a cd? Thanks in advance for any of your
    > input.
    >
    > Take Care.
    >
    > The Pig

    You might try AxCrypt. It doesn't burn cds, but the decrypt tool will
    run alone on removable media. I use it on flash drives.

    http://axcrypt.axantum.com/
    Jon, Jun 12, 2006

  3. The Pig

    cypher Guest

    cypher, Jun 12, 2006
  4. The Pig

    Guest

    The functionality you're aiming for is a Self Decrypting Archive (SDA).
    They're generally not as portable (executable may only run on a
    certain OS) or secure (here's an EXE, just run it). A more secure,
    cross platform method would be encrypt the files with symmetric
    encryption using GnuPG, and include a few GnuPG installers on the disc,
    or a shortcut to the homepage. There are other methods out there
    though, as mentioned.

    More Reading:
    http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2003-June/018891.html
    , Jun 13, 2006
  5. The Pig

    Bob Furtaw Guest

    Are you looking for something more secure than WinZip? You can install
    WinZip self extractor onto the CD or DVD.
    Bob
    "cypher" <> wrote in message
    Bob Furtaw, Jun 13, 2006