    wish to send my emails as encrypted???

    any ideas

    msee

    msee, Dec 17, 2005

  2. msee

    Mike Easter Guest

    msee wrote:

    > when i try to send an email using outlook i get a box with the
    > heading "Email Scanner" which says "An encrypted email connection has
    > been detected. Please see help for more info on how to transmit
    > encrypted email" I dont wish to send my emails as encrypted???

    That's a message from Norton Internet Security or NAV. It doesn't like
    it when your mua mailuser agent tries to hookup with your mailserver
    using the encryption of SSL Secured Socket Layer as a part of the
    exchange of how your account name and password are transmitted to the
    mailserver.

    Or, said another way, you can't have that Norton operational for that
    configuration of your mua.

    See Symantec's docs on "Norton AntiVirus email scanning is not
    compatible with internet service providers using Secured Socket Layer
    protocol"

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 17, 2005

  3. msee

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-17, msee <> wrote:
    > hi,
    > when i try to send an email using outlook i get a box with the heading
    > "Email Scanner" which says "An encrypted email connection has been detected.
    > Please see help for more info on how to transmit encrypted email" I dont
    > wish to send my emails as encrypted???
    >
    > any ideas
    >
    > msee

    I think it means that you could, if you wish, connect to your e-mail
    server using an encrypted connection method, instead of the basic plain
    text connection which could in principle let anyone who intercepts the
    data read all your messages and passwords. That might be a good idea to
    look into - although the real risk of the basic connection method is
    probably not significant for personal use. It does not mean that people
    will receive your e-mails in some sort of secret code they can't read :))

    Your e-mail service provider may have some 'help' or 'FAQ' about this on
    their web site.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 17, 2005
  4. msee wrote:

    > hi,
    > when i try to send an email using outlook i get a box with the heading
    > "Email Scanner" which says "An encrypted email connection has been
    > detected.
    > Please see help for more info on how to transmit encrypted email" I dont
    > wish to send my emails as encrypted???

    It's probably just secure pop or secure imap, using ssh transport layer
    security between you and your e-mail provider. Obviously your e-mail
    scanner cannot intercept before ssl encryption takes place. More info about
    your scanner and e-mail setup will help.

    Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 17, 2005