    Knoppix to also see my drives, will encryption still be intact or is it only
    active if the user logs in like EFS.

    Thanks.

    cjjbl, Dec 12, 2004

  2. cjjbl

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <mA2vd.2584$>, "cjjbl" <> wrote:
    >Do encrypted containers, drives or partitions remain encrypted even if the
    >user doesn't log in? Meaning if someone sneaks into my computer and runs
    >Knoppix to also see my drives, will encryption still be intact or is it only
    >active if the user logs in like EFS.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Container/partiton files are completed encrypted and
    unreadable by any adversary when the computer is turned off -
    that's the whole point. For that matter, this is also true of
    EFS. (Its weakness, aside from the possibility of backdoors,
    is that it is not OTF and can leak info from the encrypted files
    to plaintext versions, etc.)

    There have been some - very crude - systems (I put them in the
    snake-oil category) which only inhibited booting a drive without
    a password, but which did nothing to encrypt the data. These are
    not worthy of mention except to dismiss them.

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Dec 12, 2004

  3. cjjbl

    winged Guest

    cjjbl wrote:
    > Do encrypted containers, drives or partitions remain encrypted even if the
    > user doesn't log in? Meaning if someone sneaks into my computer and runs
    > Knoppix to also see my drives, will encryption still be intact or is it only
    > active if the user logs in like EFS.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Encryption will obscure the data from casual access. When encrypting
    the drive, ensure the encryption does not use the same password as your
    login on the system and is in excess of 10 chars with at least 2 chars
    of each of the 4 char sets. If you are using you system user password
    to encrypt the data, on can simply decrypt the system SAM and have the
    decryption key to access the data.
    Winged

    winged, Dec 13, 2004