    http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainerle/index.htm?adv=enc_ehd

    Had anyone tried this - is it any good?

    Any other recommendations?

    R.Daneel Olivaw, Sep 3, 2006

  2. R.Daneel Olivaw

    Mr User Guest

    R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
    > I have an external USB Hard Disk that I use for backup and then disconnect.
    > I would like to be able to encrypt it so that only I can read it.
    >
    > I have googled and found a few applications including
    >
    > http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainerle/index.htm?adv=enc_ehd
    >
    > Had anyone tried this - is it any good?
    >
    > Any other recommendations?

    What about open source peer reviewed and FREE software?
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

    Mr User, Sep 3, 2006

  3. R.Daneel Olivaw

    Montero Guest

    R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
    > I have an external USB Hard Disk that I use for backup and then disconnect.
    > I would like to be able to encrypt it so that only I can read it.
    >
    > I have googled and found a few applications including
    >
    > http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainerle/index.htm?adv=enc_ehd
    >
    > Had anyone tried this - is it any good?
    >
    > Any other recommendations?

    right Click Ur partition, select properties Then advance -> Check Box
    (Encript This Drive)

    Also start -> Run-> type(MMC) -> Select certificate Services -> Then
    copy your private Certificate
    check about Windows Certificate in microsoft web site.

    Montero, Sep 4, 2006
  4. R.Daneel Olivaw

    Fat Ass Fred Guest

    On 3 Sep 2006 21:44:20 -0700, "Montero" <> wrote:
    >right Click Ur partition, select properties Then advance -> Check Box
    >(Encript This Drive)

    And when his computer crashes, he re-installs XP, then what....

    > Also start -> Run-> type(MMC) -> Select certificate Services -> Then
    >copy your private Certificate
    >check about Windows Certificate in microsoft web site.

    Does this allow him to have the same encryption key when he
    re-installs WindowsXP after a crash, thus allowing him to restore his
    files on the portable hard drive?

    Fat Ass Fred, Sep 4, 2006
  5. "Mr User" <> wrote in message
    > R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
    >> I have an external USB Hard Disk that I use for backup and then
    >> disconnect. I would like to be able to encrypt it so that only I can read
    >> it.
    >>
    >> I have googled and found a few applications including
    >>
    >> http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainerle/index.htm?adv=enc_ehd
    >>
    >> Had anyone tried this - is it any good?
    >>
    >> Any other recommendations?

    > What about open source peer reviewed and FREE software?
    > http://www.truecrypt.org/

    Many thanx - I will take a look

    R.Daneel Olivaw, Sep 4, 2006