    but I'd need to come up with a nice printed sleeve and maybe some notes.

    Would this be a good idea or not? Or what other non-web ways are there
    to get people using it?

    Kurious Oranj, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Irmen de Jong wrote:

    > Kurious Oranj wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a fan of Mozilla, and want to spread the word about it. I've
    >> already told lots of my friends by email, and a few who hate popups
    >> have already switched.
    >>
    >> But, could I do a physical mailing of discs to my street? What would
    >> be the likely outcome? I could duplicate them myself (only maybe 20
    >> discs) but I'd need to come up with a nice printed sleeve and maybe
    >> some notes.

    > I don't think this is a good idea.
    > I still remember the sh*tload of AOL/Compuserve CDs that were spread
    > all over the world. I don't think people will bother installing stuff from
    > a free cd, particularly not because it is not from a trusted source!
    > (for that matter, you might be an evil person trying to infect lots of
    > computers by handing out cd's with a virus on it)...
    >
    >> Would this be a good idea or not? Or what other non-web ways are there
    >> to get people using it?

    > - email (like you did)
    > - spoken word
    > - just use Mozilla yourself all the time, also at work, so
    > co-workers will 'notice' it
    > - write about it in the local computer club / user group's magazine?

    Thanks for the tip. I might just write something for the local paper
    about Open Source generally.

    Kurious Oranj, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Kurious Oranj

    Gnomalarta Guest

    Whilst decanting a beer Gnomalarta smiled when he saw that Kurious Oranj
    had written in news::

    > I'm a fan of Mozilla, and want to spread the word about it. I've already
    > told lots of my friends by email, and a few who hate popups have already
    > switched.

    <SNIP>

    Most browsers have some sort of logo that can be used on websites to link
    to a download - has anyone done this for Firebird or Thunderbird?

    Charlie.
    www.peartreegreen.org

    Gnomalarta, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Kurious Oranj

    ho alexandre Guest

    ho alexandre, Jul 17, 2003
  5. Kurious Oranj

    Greg Bernath Guest

    The Mozilla Foundation has stated that they're going to start
    promoting Mozilla as an end-user product now, so that should encourage
    people. This has to do with, in case anyone missed the news, of
    Netscape being essentially no more. AOL has laid off or reassigned
    most of the Netscape programmers. See any of the Mozilla news sites
    for details. That's the bad news.

    The good news is that Mozilla is doing fine. Most of the programmers
    didn't work for AOL/Netscape anyways. AOL has given 2 million to start
    up The Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit which will be officially
    guiding Mozilla development. Other large companies, such as Sun, are
    also contributing. AOL is turning over all of its intellectual
    property regarding Mozilla to the Mozilla Foundation. This means
    Mozilla has more freedom to go where it wants, which includes
    promoting Mozilla as an end-user product. It's in one of the news
    releases, though I can't find which one at the moment.

    The other interesting tidbit was that the split into Phoenix and
    Camino won't be done before 1.5 is finished, so there will be a 1.5
    seamonkey version of the whole Mozilla suite.

    Greg Bernath

    Greg Bernath, Jul 17, 2003
  6. Kurious Oranj

    Diane Guest