    I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting for
    GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Aug 8, 2004

  2. In article <cf3r3d$4to$>, says...
    > Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
    >
    > I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting for
    > GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
    >
    > Ray Greene.

    I don't think you'll be able to do this unless you just forward all
    traffic to something like a linux box with two network cards.

    wogers nemesis, Aug 8, 2004

  3. wogers nemesis wrote:
    > In article <cf3r3d$4to$>, says...
    >
    >>Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
    >>
    >>I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting for
    >>GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
    >>
    >>Ray Greene.
    >>

    > I don't think you'll be able to do this unless you just forward all
    > traffic to something like a linux box with two network cards.

    The RTA210 doesn't support this configuration either. My solution was to
    get a better router. The DSE XH1169 is by far the most configurable
    router I have seen, and the half bridge mode makes the use of a FreeBSD
    box as a router a painless process. Supports VPN passthrough as is I
    believe, so you wouldn't need to use a separate PC just for that.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:33:30 +1200, The Other Guy <> wrote:

    >The RTA210 doesn't support this configuration either. My solution was to
    >get a better router. The DSE XH1169 is by far the most configurable
    >router I have seen, and the half bridge mode makes the use of a FreeBSD
    >box as a router a painless process. Supports VPN passthrough as is I
    >believe, so you wouldn't need to use a separate PC just for that.

    Thanks Guy, I went out and bought one and it works like a charm.

    If anyone's interested Dick Smith have the old model XH1149 reduced to clear
    at $129. Or I know where you could get a used Dynalink cheap :)

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:33:30 +1200, The Other Guy <> wrote:
    >

    >>The RTA210 doesn't support this configuration either. My solution was to
    >>get a better router. The DSE XH1169 is by far the most configurable
    >>router I have seen, and the half bridge mode makes the use of a FreeBSD
    >>box as a router a painless process. Supports VPN passthrough as is I
    >>believe, so you wouldn't need to use a separate PC just for that.

    > Thanks Guy, I went out and bought one and it works like a charm.
    >
    > If anyone's interested Dick Smith have the old model XH1149 reduced to clear
    > at $129. Or I know where you could get a used Dynalink cheap :)

    The XH1149 and XH1169 are basically the same router, having only a
    different Ethernet chipset and slightly different appearance. The
    firmware upgrades are for both routers, which makes a nice change from
    Dynalink who didn't upgrade theirs at all.

    When I got mine, the XH1149 was still listed at the old price, $10 more
    than the XH1169. Now that it is $30 cheaper, I'd probably go with the
    HX1149 if in stock. It is the same after all :)

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:27:18 +1200, The Other Guy <> wrote:

    >The XH1149 and XH1169 are basically the same router, having only a
    >different Ethernet chipset and slightly different appearance. The
    >firmware upgrades are for both routers, which makes a nice change from
    >Dynalink who didn't upgrade theirs at all.
    >
    >When I got mine, the XH1149 was still listed at the old price, $10 more
    >than the XH1169. Now that it is $30 cheaper, I'd probably go with the
    >HX1149 if in stock. It is the same after all :)

    Yes I would have got the old model but they were out of stock locally :-(

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Aug 8, 2004
  7. Ray Greene

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Tried to get a VPN going through my old Dynalink router (I think it was a
    RTA-210) without success. Ended up buying a DSL-302G for around $160 - works
    fine

    Regard

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Aug 8, 2004
  8. Ray Greene

    theseus Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
    >
    > I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting

    for
    > GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
    >
    > Ray Greene.

    I don't know specifically for that router, but I have Microsoft PPTP running
    on a DSE (surecom) router which doesn't have any GRE settings either, I've
    just put 47 both and 1723 both forwarding to my VPN host IP.

    theseus, Aug 8, 2004
  9. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:08:33 +1200, "theseus" <> wrote:

    >"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
    >>
    >> I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting

    >for
    >> GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
    >>
    >> Ray Greene.

    >I don't know specifically for that router, but I have Microsoft PPTP running
    >on a DSE (surecom) router which doesn't have any GRE settings either, I've
    >just put 47 both and 1723 both forwarding to my VPN host IP.

    47 is not a port number. It's a protocol number. 47=GRE.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 9, 2004
  10. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:08:33 +1200, "theseus" <> wrote:

    >"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
    >>
    >> I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting

    >for
    >> GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
    >>
    >> Ray Greene.

    >I don't know specifically for that router, but I have Microsoft PPTP running
    >on a DSE (surecom) router which doesn't have any GRE settings either, I've
    >just put 47 both and 1723 both forwarding to my VPN host IP.

    I think some have GRE turned on by default so you just have to set up the
    ports.

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Aug 9, 2004