Enabling AdHoc laptop to route data out a desktops other NIC?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by WildIrish, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. WildIrish

    WildIrish Guest

    Here's my deal.. Since I visit many client locations that
    don't have wireless, I'd like to take a USB wireless device,
    plug it into a client's PC that has internet access via it's
    Eth card, and then get my laptop to connect to the internet THROUGH
    this
    PC.. AdHoc style... using my laptops wireless... all for
    convenience to allow me to be mobile when at non-wireless
    firms.

    This seems so simple that it may be complex, I'm just not sure?
    I can build static routes all day, but last time I
    knew in order to forward inbound data through another NIC on a
    Windows workstation it required a Reg hack, reboot, etc etc.

    Is there a command line or small shell script, such as using netsh etc
    to enable forwarding traffic from my USB AdHoc card so I
    can get internet access through a few fairly short simple steps
    all without changing the workstation into "internet sharing" mode
    and screwing up existing IP addresses?

    I hope i'm clear.. basically looking for a script or a few
    command lines to "enable forwarding", then "forward
    data from wireless laptop through desktop PC to internet and back".
    Thanks!
    -B
    WildIrish, Jan 26, 2005

  2. It most definatly wont be that easy. You will have to configure the desktop
    for wireless networking, internet sharing and file and priter sharing, if
    wanted... As you can see by these forums, Wireless networking can be a pain
    if you have not done it before......

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 26, 2005

  3. WildIrish

    WildIrish Guest

    We do AP modes all the time, but the AdHoc mode i'm sure is simp in and
    of itself, but enabling the forwarding through a command line or
    semi-short process is my goal and my only awareness was of switching to
    the internet sharing mode. Is there no other way anyone can think of
    to add a forwarding on the fly without botching the registry and doing
    "route add"'s?

    -B
    WildIrish, Jan 26, 2005