    Does anyone know how to reinstate that icon short of doing a System Restore
    to an earlier date. I like the other things System Mechanic has done--just
    not this one.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmhhbmRyaWNo?=, Nov 23, 2006

  2. Hi
    Wireless network can be managed by Windows Zero Configuration (WZC), or by a
    utility provided by the Wireless Card Manufacturer.
    If windows is the manger, navigate to Control Panel / Network Connections,
    and right click on the connection that you are using.
    Check the box at the very low left side.
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/XP_Net_properties.jpg
    If you mange with the original card utility read the manual I do not know
    what you have there. Somewhere there should be in the utility setting a
    similar setting that would read show Icon in system tray (or similar
    wording).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 23, 2006

  3. I was not specific enough and I apologize.

    I DO have the little terminal picture with 'sound' waves emanating from it
    when the wireless card is on. And yes, when I toggle to where you said to go,
    there are options to show that icon. They are checked and it is there. The
    icon I am trying to get back looks like the Macintosh Airport icon actually
    (go figure) and used to be in the far right corner of the system tray. When
    you click on it, it allows you to enable or disable the wireless card right
    in the system tray.

    That is the icon I want back. As it is, I have to go into Network
    Connections and reactivate the Wireless connection each time. :(

    =?Utf-8?B?cmhhbmRyaWNo?=, Nov 23, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cmhhbmRyaWNo?=

    optikl Guest

    "rhandrich" <> wrote in message

    > That is the icon I want back. As it is, I have to go into Network
    > Connections and reactivate the Wireless connection each time. :(

    Doesn't System Mechanic allow you to reverse changes it has made to the
    registry?

    optikl, Nov 23, 2006
  5. One would think so. I have not been able to find the option that does that
    (if it exists).

    =?Utf-8?B?cmhhbmRyaWNo?=, Nov 23, 2006
  6. Hi
    I do not think that the Icon that you refer to is part of Windows, the
    Windows Zero Configuration let you disable the connection by right clicking
    on its tray Icon and choose Disable. Your missing Icon was installed by the
    manufacturer and probably was moved from StartUp by SysMech. The Wireless
    manual, or searching the online FAQ of Dell site is probably you best
    resort, short of calling Dell.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 23, 2006
  7. Hey. You're right. I didn't realize that 'disable' option was on that icon as
    well. Only problem is that once I click 'disable', it disappears from the
    system tray. Okay. I'll check with Dell. Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmhhbmRyaWNo?=, Nov 23, 2006
  8. "rhandrich" wrote:
    > I ran System Mechanic on my Dell Inspiron 700m and when it was done, the
    > little icon in the system tray that allowed me to EASILY turn my wireless off
    > and on was missing from the system tray. [I don't know what it was called but
    > hovering over it with the mouse generated a message to the effect of
    > "Microsoft is managing this device".]
    >
    > Does anyone know how to reinstate that icon short of doing a System Restore
    > to an earlier date. I like the other things System Mechanic has done--just
    > not this one.

    This looks like Intel PROset. Run it from start menu and enable
    the taskbar icon and auto run.

    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Nov 23, 2006
  9. YES!!! At least close enough. While this is not the same arrangement I had
    before (and I had to reconfigure my WEP) it works! I have a little tornado
    like icon in my system tray and I can turn it on and off at will. Thanks
    Pavel A. A nice Thanksgiving outcome. :D

    =?Utf-8?B?cmhhbmRyaWNo?=, Nov 23, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?cmhhbmRyaWNo?=

    optikl Guest

    "rhandrich" <> wrote in message
    > One would think so. I have not been able to find the option that does that
    > (if it exists).
    >
    > "optikl" wrote:
    >
    >> Doesn't System Mechanic allow you to reverse changes it has made to the
    >> registry?

    For the future, I'd seriously consider another registry utility, like
    perhaps jv16 power tools. It always gives you the option to back up any and
    all changes, just in case/

    optikl, Nov 23, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ2c=?=, Jun 7, 2007
  12. Hi
    If it is Windows own Wireless Network Icon.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#icon_bar
    If it is a 3rd party Wireless utility start the utility and look for a check
    box that would say something like Show Tray Icon and check it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 8, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?cmhhbmRyaWNo?=

    Meez

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I had the same problem, here is what you do:

    - From Start Program, open the Intel PROSet Wireless program.
    - In Intel PROSet, go to Tools --> Application Settings
    - Under "Task Tray", check show application icon in task bar

    I have just tried it and it worked for me

    best of luck:tea:

    Meez, Nov 1, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?cmhhbmRyaWNo?=

    Keverdy13

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Wireless Network Icon Lost!

    PLEASE HELP! I am trying to install a wireless router to my Windows XP SP3 Home Basic (non-laptop). I need to open Wireless network, but there is no icon for it anywhere! The Wireless Zero Configuration is started and automatic. Please help, thank you!

    Keverdy13, Sep 7, 2009