    This should be made an option rather than an imposition.
    I know there are certain advantages of using it but it should be my decision
    if I want to use an unsigned driver or not.

    I installed Vista64 because i believed a phrase I saw at microsoft.com
    saying Vista64 was great for gamers. Well, us gamers sometimes like to
    modify/patch our systems. In my case I bought a USB mouse which will fail to
    read all my movements if I use the default USB driver which runs @ ~125MHz
    (standard USB speed). But I can modify this usb driver so it will allow my
    USB port to run @ 1000MHz. Thus making my mouse superior to almost any other
    mouse model in the market right now.

    Increasing the USB rate has different results on different models of mice, I
    bought mine with the intention of using a 1000MHz USB driver knowing it would
    give me superb results for that mouse model, and it worked fine on WinXP,
    even on Vista32.

    Well now that I just installed Vista64 I'm presented with the surprise that
    I can't use my modified driver because it's obviously unsigned (it's custom
    made, thus it will never be signed).

    Having to press F8 each time Vista boots to disable signed drivers doesn't
    sound fair. I should be the one who decides what can and cannot be installed
    on my system. Why not make it optional?

    I was starting to consider going back to WinXP 32bits if it weren't for the
    fact that I found a program which will disable this. Once again, I've been
    forced to download and install some third-party software to fix something
    that Microsoft simply couldn't present to me as a choice. I mean, it's ok if
    you set it on by default so unexpirienced users can't install drivers that
    might do who knows what. But why cripple people who know what they are doing?
    At least give them a choice other than changing the OS. I can't see how
    making this a choice would be a problem.

    Thanks for reading.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...384&dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    Ray, Jun 22, 2008

  2. Ray

    Carlos Guest

    Ray,
    I guess this trick is still valid after SP1.
    Run this command at an elevated command prompt

    Bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON

    Disabling driver signing is not recommended so use it at your own risk.
    You will also see something like "Test mode on" in the four corners of the
    wallpaper.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 22, 2008

  3. Ray

    Meyer JB Guest

    Carlos a écrit :
    > Ray,
    > I guess this trick is still valid after SP1.
    > Run this command at an elevated command prompt
    >
    > Bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON
    >
    > Disabling driver signing is not recommended so use it at your own risk.
    > You will also see something like "Test mode on" in the four corners of the
    > wallpaper.
    >
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Ray" wrote:
    >
    >> This should be made an option rather than an imposition.
    >> I know there are certain advantages of using it but it should be my decision
    >> if I want to use an unsigned driver or not.
    >>
    >> I installed Vista64 because i believed a phrase I saw at microsoft.com
    >> saying Vista64 was great for gamers. Well, us gamers sometimes like to
    >> modify/patch our systems. In my case I bought a USB mouse which will fail to
    >> read all my movements if I use the default USB driver which runs @ ~125MHz
    >> (standard USB speed). But I can modify this usb driver so it will allow my
    >> USB port to run @ 1000MHz. Thus making my mouse superior to almost any other
    >> mouse model in the market right now.
    >>
    >> Increasing the USB rate has different results on different models of mice, I
    >> bought mine with the intention of using a 1000MHz USB driver knowing it
    >> would give me superb results for that mouse model, and it worked fine on
    >> WinXP, even on Vista32.
    >>
    >> Well now that I just installed Vista64 I'm presented with the surprise that
    >> I can't use my modified driver because it's obviously unsigned (it's custom
    >> made, thus it will never be signed).
    >>
    >> Having to press F8 each time Vista boots to disable signed drivers doesn't
    >> sound fair. I should be the one who decides what can and cannot be installed
    >> on my system. Why not make it optional?
    >>
    >> I was starting to consider going back to WinXP 32bits if it weren't for the
    >> fact that I found a program which will disable this. Once again, I've been
    >> forced to download and install some third-party software to fix something
    >> that Microsoft simply couldn't present to me as a choice. I mean, it's ok if
    >> you set it on by default so unexpirienced users can't install drivers that
    >> might do who knows what. But why cripple people who know what they are
    >> doing? At least give them a choice other than changing the OS. I can't see
    >> how making this a choice would be a problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks for reading.
    >>

    >> ----------------
    >> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
    >> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
    >> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
    >> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
    >>
    >> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...384&dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    Yes, working for me for installing the OpenVPN client

    Meyer

    Meyer JB, Jun 23, 2008
  4. Ray

    Carlos Guest