    definitive answers via google, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me
    whether ClearType is supported in ME and if so, how to enable it.

    All information appreciated.
    Jeff Conescu, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Jeff Conescu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Jeff Conescu" <> wrote in message
    news:4212c89e$1$12272$...
    | I'm cleaning up a Mate's old dog of a Celeron 650Mhz laptop and trying to
    | make it as useable as possible given the limitations of WindowsME and a
    mere
    | 64Mb of RAM.
    |
    | Aside from the usual tweaks, I was hoping to enable ClearType to improve
    his
    | ugly 800x600 display. Having little experience on ME, and finding a lack
    of
    | definitive answers via google, I was hoping someone might be able to tell
    me
    | whether ClearType is supported in ME and if so, how to enable it.
    |
    | All information appreciated.

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeInfo.mspx

    Clear Type is only a "system wide" option in XP, not ME. I believe the only
    Clear Type usage available in ME would be in Microsoft Reader.
    Toolman Tim, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Jeff Conescu

    elaich Guest

    "Jeff Conescu" <> wrote in

    > I'm cleaning up a Mate's old dog of a Celeron 650Mhz laptop and trying
    > to make it as useable as possible given the limitations of WindowsME
    > and a mere 64Mb of RAM.

    I don't know anything about Clear Type, but I do know what can be done with
    ME and 64M of RAM.

    Give it as little as 128M and look at the improvement. Until just recently,
    that "old dog" was my primary computer, and I played PSX and N64 games on
    it.

    Give it 256M and watch it fly. Get rid of System Restore/PC Health and
    install the latest version of IE on it. I just bought 256M of RAM on ebay
    for $10.

    The program you want is OPPCOM. It makes ME the best Win9x OS you ever saw.

    www.beta10.com

    Get rid of everything listed in the Beta 10 Optional Components selection
    in Windows Setup. You don't need any of it, and that stuff is what made ME
    a dog. Underneath is the basic Win98 kernel with a better TCP/IP stack,
    better USB support, and the absence of a lot of those little Win98 flaws
    that made us grimace.
    elaich, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Jeff Conescu

    why? Guest

    On 16 Feb 2005 06:46:07 GMT, elaich wrote:

    >"Jeff Conescu" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm cleaning up a Mate's old dog of a Celeron 650Mhz laptop and trying
    >> to make it as useable as possible given the limitations of WindowsME
    >> and a mere 64Mb of RAM.

    >I don't know anything about Clear Type, but I do know what can be done with

    www.google.com maybe?

    If not,
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeFAQ.mspx
    Q. Does Microsoft plan to provide an update to enable ClearType on
    Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows ME or Windows 9x?
    A. No.

    >ME and 64M of RAM.

    <snip>

    Me