    the advantages or otherwise of doing so?

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny Cargill, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Kenny Cargill

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote in
    news:eek:6Pyb.23240$:

    > NO.....You can not delete the dllcache. They are a part of the Windows
    > File Protection. Normally they are compressed to save some space. If
    > they are not compressed....make them.

    If you delete the dllcache folder, Windows File Protection will kick in and
    replace the files you deleted.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Kenny Cargill

    > NO.....Since Windows File Protection is depending on dllcache to be
    > able to make copies to replace deleted files this will not work. If
    > dllcache is deleted there is nothing to make copies from! Result of
    > that is that you can not replace a defect/deleted file that neads to
    > be replaced. There is reasons for why MS has put some files and
    > folders as Hidden and by default not show them.

    Case in point:
    I like Notepad+ instead of notepad. I rename Notepad+.exe to Notepad.exe,
    and drop it into the dllcache folder. Windows replaces my version with the
    version in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Kenny Cargill

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in news:vspgt1beo8uh23
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > So if you rename it & drop it into c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32 does it
    > then replace the version in dllcache with that? or does it replace that
    > with the version in dllcache?

    I've found (whether on purpose or by accident) all three places protect
    each other. If I replace notepad.exe in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32, it
    gets overwritten with the original notepad from dllcache. If I replace the
    dllcache version, though it doesn't happen immediately and I don't know
    whether it's a timer or some action I do that causes it to notice that the
    dllcache version is not the right version and one of the others is
    restored.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Kenny Cargill

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in news:vspugcl6vfg7f4
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Interesting. Sort of a peer-to-peer setup. I wonder if that's why
    > they're stored in 3 places-rather than having a central repository maybe
    > it works by voting?

    I am not really sure, as one of the first things I do when I install
    Windows on my personal machines is to disable Windows File Protection

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Kenny Cargill

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in news:vspugcl6vfg7f4
    > @corp.supernews.com:
    >
    >> Interesting. Sort of a peer-to-peer setup. I wonder if that's why
    >> they're stored in 3 places-rather than having a central repository
    >> maybe it works by voting?
    >>

    > I am not really sure, as one of the first things I do when I install
    > Windows on my personal machines is to disable Windows File Protection

    How do you go about doing that, and what are the benefits?

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Dec 3, 2003