    When I try to delete I get an error message that the file is in use by
    another program or user. The folders are empty, they do not contain any
    files, so why can I not delete them??
    Carol, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Carol

    Boomer Guest

    Carol, <> wrote:

    > I have several empty folders in my windows explorer. I'm running
    > Windows XP. When I try to delete I get an error message that the
    > file is in use by another program or user. The folders are
    > empty, they do not contain any files, so why can I not delete
    > them??

    More than likely Win XP is has them in 'use' becuse it wants to have
    you use them.

    What file folders?

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    Boomer, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Carol

    The Hand Guest

    Next time you re-start, make deleting them as your first action.

    The Hand, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Carol

    °Mike° Guest

    HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    How do I delete an 'undeletable' file
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:32:03 -0500, in
    <>
    Carol scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Carol

    The Hand Guest

    Sorry Boomer. I obviously intended to reply to the op, but f..... it up.

    The Hand, Jan 26, 2004
  6. Carol

    Sjolleman Guest

    "Carol" <> schreef in bericht
    > I have several empty folders in my windows explorer. I'm running

    Windows XP.
    > When I try to delete I get an error message that the file is in use

    by
    > another program or user. The folders are empty, they do not contain

    any
    > files, so why can I not delete them??

    How do you know that they are empty? There might be hidden files in
    them.
    Sjolleman, Jan 26, 2004
  7. Carol

    EricP Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:32:03 -0500, "Carol" <>
    wrote:

    >I have several empty folders in my windows explorer. I'm running Windows XP.
    >When I try to delete I get an error message that the file is in use by
    >another program or user. The folders are empty, they do not contain any
    >files, so why can I not delete them??

    Caution.
    Unless you have the switch for showing system and concealed files
    turned on, the folders may not be empty.
    EricP, Jan 26, 2004