    attachment. There has to be some reason for their persistence.

    --

    Chas Right
    Charlie Right, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Charlie Right

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 06:21:07 +1200, in message
     <>, Charlie Right wrote:

    > Has anyone come up for a rationale for these mysterious emails that are
    > completely empty. I just got one from <> that
    > was sent to 'undisclosed recipients'. No subject, no text, no
    > attachment. There has to be some reason for their persistence.

    Buggy spammer software.

    All the ones which I have seen appear to be sent as spam,
    but the spamware has choked on something it was supposed
    to put in the headers.
    Ralph Fox, Jun 19, 2005

  3. Charlie Right

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Charlie Right wrote:
    > Has anyone come up for a rationale for these mysterious emails that are
    > completely empty. I just got one from <> that
    > was sent to 'undisclosed recipients'. No subject, no text, no
    > attachment. There has to be some reason for their persistence.

    I think they're probably advance 'probes' for real spamming runs, to
    weed out email addresses that bounce during the smtp session, or cause a
    subsequent bounce message. Also - empty emails are unlikely to be
    flagged as spam by the various filter progs.

    If I was into spamming, I'd likely use this technique - it'd save a
    truckload in ISP traffic usage charges, let me complete spam sending
    runs faster, and allow me to charge a higher rate from the g3n3r1c
    vI.AgRa and P3N15 3nL4.rgE.m3nT companies.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Charlie Right

    thing Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Charlie Right wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone come up for a rationale for these mysterious emails that are
    >>completely empty. I just got one from <> that
    >>was sent to 'undisclosed recipients'. No subject, no text, no
    >>attachment. There has to be some reason for their persistence.

    > I think they're probably advance 'probes' for real spamming runs, to
    > weed out email addresses that bounce during the smtp session, or cause a
    > subsequent bounce message. Also - empty emails are unlikely to be
    > flagged as spam by the various filter progs.
    >
    > If I was into spamming, I'd likely use this technique - it'd save a
    > truckload in ISP traffic usage charges, let me complete spam sending
    > runs faster, and allow me to charge a higher rate from the g3n3r1c
    > vI.AgRa and P3N15 3nL4.rgE.m3nT companies.

    I think they are actually from a faulty virus....

    Mostly spammers dont seem this sophisticated, they just dictionary
    attack you enmass, we often see 3 or 4 an hour that cause our email
    servers to defer connections (connections go from 60 ish to 500+). We
    now have to go buy another servers at $21000 (an thats educational
    pricing) with 12 gig of ram to keep on top of it.....so in hardware
    alone we an see the cost of spam. Considering our existing new server is
    less than a year old and cost us $12000 we are not happy.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 21, 2005
  5. Charlie Right

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:06:25 +1200, in message
     <42b86542$>, thing wrote:

    > I think they are actually from a faulty virus....

    THat could well be.

    Many of the ones I have seen appear to have been chopped off by
    the sender in the middle of a header. The last few characters
    of the last header are almost always of the form [ followed
    by one or two digits.

    Any headers following this were added my my ISP's mail server,
    not the sender. Such headers are typically 'Date' and 'Message-ID'.

    Example (minus Xtra's "Received" headers):

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you;
    but if you really make them think, they'll hate you."
    Ralph Fox, Jun 21, 2005
  6. In article <42b86542$>, thing <> wrote:

    >Mostly spammers dont seem this sophisticated, they just dictionary
    >attack you enmass, we often see 3 or 4 an hour that cause our email
    >servers to defer connections (connections go from 60 ish to 500+). We
    >now have to go buy another servers at $21000 (an thats educational
    >pricing) with 12 gig of ram to keep on top of it.....

    I don't see why you need extra resources simply to deal with bad
    incoming e-mail recipient addresses. You can just reject them up front.
    Or do you accept the messages and then try to bounce them later?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 29, 2005