    There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS degree,
    but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right now.

    Has anyone else had similar luck?
    me, Jan 4, 2005

  2. me

    Bum Guest

    "me" <> wrote in
    news:d2lCd.7816$:

    > I have been looking for employment, most of the jobs I have found
    > require that their candidates have a BS degree plus many years
    > experience for $8-9 /hr. Plus, on top of that they want you to be
    > familiar with at least three programming languages.
    > There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS
    > degree, but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right
    > now.
    >
    > Has anyone else had similar luck?

    Chuckle ... same swan song here ... I have a BS in a liberal arts and two
    two year technical degrees (Electrical and Telcom) ... plus about fifteen
    years of experience ... I have heard some good lines from interviewers ...
    such as well we like to hire people we can develop (sic I am too old) to so
    what do you want to be when you grow up (from a man half my age) ... most
    positions here as well require Certifications and programming languages and
    they want to pay between 8 and 10 an hour for those with 5 to 10 years of
    experience ... entry level positions are paying slightly more then minimum
    wage ...

    seems most computer support jobs are well non-existent .. entry level jobs
    are impossible to find and those that do exist, as you pointed out, require
    2 or 3 programming languages ... my recommendation to all now days is go to
    school and get a BSc degree in some technical area and learn as many
    programming languages as possible and stay profiecient in the latest ...

    Bum
    suffering the big bummer of no work
    Bum, Jan 4, 2005

  3. me

    me Guest

    of course employers want to ay $8-10 per hour for people with 5-10 years
    experience. Of course employers should want their employees to have a BS
    degree in computer science and be proficient in three programming languages,
    because that way they can get more done and pay alot less for it. Thats
    really sad. It really is.
    me, Jan 4, 2005
  4. me

    Bum Guest

    "me" <> wrote in

    > of course employers want to ay $8-10 per hour for people with 5-10
    > years experience. Of course employers should want their employees to
    > have a BS degree in computer science and be proficient in three
    > programming languages, because that way they can get more done and pay
    > alot less for it. Thats really sad. It really is.

    yes it is ... they care not if you can pay rent and eat ... they care less
    if you pay your student loans ... all that matters is making shareholders
    happy and the execs their bonus' and 4 - 12 week vacations ...
    Bum, Jan 4, 2005
  5. me

    Gary Guest

    What region are you from?

    Gary, Jan 4, 2005
  6. me

    Bum Guest

    Gary <> wrote in

    > What region are you from?

    NY... not even close to the city ... here ... same story in MN right now
    from what I hear from my contacts

    Bum
    Bum, Jan 4, 2005
  7. me

    me Guest

    TN

    me, Jan 4, 2005
  8. me

    Frederic Guest

    you need to have some expertise if you want to be considered as a valuable
    expert.

    Wireless is the keyword for 2005

    I suggest the following reading
    http://www.cramsession.com/articles/get-article.asp?aid=1063

    --
    Frederic
    MCP, IT Project+, i-Net+, CIW Associate, A+

    Frederic, Jan 5, 2005
  9. me

    Dan Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:03:27 -0500, "me" <> wrote:

    >I have been looking for employment, most of the jobs I have found require
    >that their candidates have a BS degree plus many years experience for $8-9
    >/hr. Plus, on top of that they want you to be familiar with at least three
    >programming languages.
    >There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS degree,
    >but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right now.
    >
    >Has anyone else had similar luck?

    Yes, that's why I started my own business and can show my talents
    without having to kiss-up to some corporate enron-equivalent personnel
    worker in human resources. I have a dozen clients, half of which are
    repeat customers, and have a 100% success rate at fixing their
    computers.

    Starting my own business was a great way to separate my voice from the
    thousands of other screaming so-called certified nuts out there. At
    the same time I'm running as fast as possible towards another
    profession, getting an associate's degree at the local community
    college. But at least being self-employed keeps some of the bills
    away.

    Dan
    Dan, Jan 6, 2005
  10. me

    ap Guest

    There is no doubt that there is little future in PC servicing. Years ago
    just being able to open a PC and add a card would elevate you to the status
    of NASA rocket scientist or heart doctor. This is a thing of the past.
    Most 12 year old kids can open a pc and build one. The guys that sign
    checks see that young kids can do this and know that they don't really need
    to spend more than 9-10$/hr and applicants will line up around the block for
    these jobs. Most employers want a well rounded IT professional. Employers
    are looking for someone who knows servers, hardware, network operating
    systems, firewalls, programming, routing, security, email/exchange, and
    knows how to meet business objectives with IT. Unless you are going to get
    a job in a 200+ person IT department you will need to learn as much as you
    can about everything you can get your hands on. I have a BS from Penn
    State, an MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+, MOS, and SSCP. Yes, it took a lot
    of time and money to get all the paper but it is paying off. First
    employers will look at your continued pursuit of certifications, knowing
    that this is what you do and you stay on top of technology and live the life
    of a techie. Next, some software/hardware vendors require solutions
    providers and resellers to have their staff trained and certified, MS is the
    best at this. Most of these outfits will not even consider you unless you
    have the right papers to hang on the wall.

    I do work in IT, for the past 6 years, and have had quite a few bites on
    resumes I sent out and ads I have responded too. Most of these jobs pay in
    the 50K-60K range, I hope to hear real soon on one I had three interviews
    for. A+ by itself is almost worthless, most employers do not really value
    it. One of my first certs was A+ and I studied my ass off for it. I was
    disappointed that nobody sees value in it so I did the best thing I could,
    get the ones that people see value in. The Microsoft certs most definitely
    have value. Security certs from ISC2 have value. Sad to say, CompTIA
    really only gives you something to hang on the wall and that is about it, I
    know I have three that are rather useless from them.

    ap, Jan 15, 2005