  1. Is there a union for IT/network admin type work?

    anyone got any contacts etc for them, especially in Dunedin.

    not just for me, but my workmates too.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 7, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Collector Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Is there a union for IT/network admin type work?
    >
    > anyone got any contacts etc for them, especially in Dunedin.
    >
    > not just for me, but my workmates too.

    You havnt been fired again have you :)

    I notice a cahnge in your sig that suggests you might not be using the
    same machine you normally do ;-)

    Collector, May 7, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Baldman Guest

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 16:46:38 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Is there a union for IT/network admin type work?
    >
    >anyone got any contacts etc for them, especially in Dunedin.
    >
    >not just for me, but my workmates too.

    SFWU - Service & Food Workers Union

    They're the mob that dug me out of dire straits when I had a slight
    problem as a helldesk emplyee of ... errr... a very HUGgable ISP!

    *cackle*

    Baldman, May 7, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Collector Guest

    Baldman wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 May 2004 16:46:38 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a union for IT/network admin type work?
    >>
    >>anyone got any contacts etc for them, especially in Dunedin.
    >>
    >>not just for me, but my workmates too.
    >>

    >SFWU - Service & Food Workers Union
    >
    >They're the mob that dug me out of dire straits when I had a slight
    >problem as a helldesk emplyee of ... errr... a very HUGgable ISP!
    >
    >*cackle*

    Dave will really be able to relate to that problem

    Collector, May 7, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz
    > Is there a union for IT/network admin type work?

    Finsec

    Patrick Dunford, May 7, 2004
  6. Collector wrote
    >You havnt been fired again have you :)

    nope

    >I notice a cahnge in your sig that suggests you might not be using the
    >same machine you normally do ;-)

    upgraded firefox and lost my sig...

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 8, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>Is there a union for IT/network admin type work?

    > Finsec

    thanks... this seems to be the ones I want.
    I almost feel nasty for the shit I normally give you.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 10, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >>Is there a union for IT/network admin type work?

    > > Finsec

    > thanks... this seems to be the ones I want.
    > I almost feel nasty for the shit I normally give you.

    I don't remember you giving me any :)

    Might as well say though that unions are a waste of time as far as I'm
    concerned. Finsec is the old banking union, that has decided to extend
    their grip onto IT workers, one of the least unionised professions most
    probably.

    Patrick Dunford, May 10, 2004
  9. On Fri, 07 May 2004 16:46:38 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Is there a union for IT/network admin type work?

    Communications and energy workers.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, May 10, 2004
  10. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Might as well say though that unions are a waste of time as far as I'm
    > concerned. Finsec is the old banking union, that has decided to extend
    > their grip onto IT workers, one of the least unionised professions most
    > probably.

    Indeed... well, three more members, and hopefully a bit of clout with
    the wanker who pa^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hboss.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 10, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    brundlefly Guest

    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > Might as well say though that unions are a waste of time as far as I'm
    > > concerned. Finsec is the old banking union, that has decided to extend
    > > their grip onto IT workers, one of the least unionised professions most
    > > probably.

    > Indeed... well, three more members, and hopefully a bit of clout with
    > the wanker who pa^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hboss.

    By joining a union, you get the services of representatives that know
    employment law to present your case to your employer or his rep.
    Its definitely not a waste of time, its sharing the cost of employing an
    advocate IMHO, having been on both sides of employee vs employer disputes.
    Employers use their uni qualified, case law literate HR people to represent
    their case, and trying to stand up to them on your own makes you easy meat

    brundlefly, May 10, 2004