Employment agencies not putting you forward

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    >Question,
    >
    >If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    >client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    >says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    >feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?


    Feel obliged to insist they send off your application or to get another
    agent and do it yourself. :)

    >I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    >fee if no moral one.


    They might try that ... but if they wouldn't send your application off, then
    surely logic says they are entitled to nothing.

    Bruce

    ----------------------------------------
    I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
    people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
    only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

    Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett

    Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    (if there were any)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 25, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    thing2 Guest

    Question,

    If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?

    I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    fee if no moral one.

    Thoughts?

    regards

    Thing
     
    thing2, Jul 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, thing2 <>

    > wrote:
    >>>Question,
    >>>
    >>>If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    >>>client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    >>>says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    >>>feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?


    >> Feel obliged to insist they send off your application or to get another
    >> agent and do it yourself. :)


    >>>I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    >>>fee if no moral one.


    >> They might try that ... but if they wouldn't send your application off, then
    >> surely logic says they are entitled to nothing.


    >Logic and law/contracts dont seem to meet very often.....


    ... and this too is true :)
    Who would usually pay the agent fee ?
    I see previously that someone advised you to send it to the employer
    yourself noting that you have an agent. Probably the best idea.


    Bruce

    ----------------------------------------
    I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
    people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
    only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

    Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett

    Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    (if there were any)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 25, 2005
    #3
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > Question,
    >
    > If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    > client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    > says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    > feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?
    >
    > I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    > fee if no moral one.
    >
    > Thoughts?


    You can get into nasty messes with prospective employers and the
    agencies heading down that track. You don't want to be the meat in that
    sandwich, as the employer will more than likely go off you very quickly.

    Saying that, if you approach it the right way, a prospective employer
    can be entertained in such a way that you keep both sides happy. If you
    can sell yourself in direct to the employer, but fully divulging your
    relationship with the agency, this can be seen as a positive. I have
    employed people who have done this the right way, and still paid the
    agency fee based on the qualities of the candidate.

    The "nice to have Suse.." comment intimates that anyone who has Suse
    experience will get first look in. You'll have to do a great self-sell
    job to prove why you are better. It does work some times.

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey
     
    Mark Remfrey, Jul 25, 2005
    #4
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    thing2 Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Question,
    >>
    >>If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    >>client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    >>says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    >>feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?

    >
    >
    > Feel obliged to insist they send off your application or to get another
    > agent and do it yourself. :)
    >
    >
    >>I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    >>fee if no moral one.

    >
    >
    > They might try that ... but if they wouldn't send your application off, then
    > surely logic says they are entitled to nothing.
    >
    > Bruce
    >
    > ----------------------------------------
    > I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
    > people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
    > only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
    >
    > Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett
    >
    > Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    > (if there were any)
    >



    Logic and law/contracts dont seem to meet very often.....

    regards

    thing
     
    thing2, Jul 26, 2005
    #5
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    thing2 Guest

    Mark Remfrey wrote:
    > thing2 wrote:
    >
    >> Question,
    >>
    >> If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say
    >> the client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the
    >> client says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not
    >> essential....should you feel obliged not to put yourself forward
    >> directly to the client?
    >>
    >> I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding
    >> a fee if no moral one.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?

    >
    >
    > You can get into nasty messes with prospective employers and the
    > agencies heading down that track. You don't want to be the meat in that
    > sandwich, as the employer will more than likely go off you very quickly.
    >
    > Saying that, if you approach it the right way, a prospective employer
    > can be entertained in such a way that you keep both sides happy. If you
    > can sell yourself in direct to the employer, but fully divulging your
    > relationship with the agency, this can be seen as a positive. I have
    > employed people who have done this the right way, and still paid the
    > agency fee based on the qualities of the candidate.
    >
    > The "nice to have Suse.." comment intimates that anyone who has Suse
    > experience will get first look in. You'll have to do a great self-sell
    > job to prove why you are better. It does work some times.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Mark Remfrey


    Enterprise level Suse admins are probably not that common in Wellington
    / NZ. Redhat is probably far more common.

    I'm kinda thinking along the lines of keeping an eye open for an
    independant advert, and if that happens put myself forward. I think I
    will also mention that the agency did not put me forward and why dispite
    the job description, then it is up to the employer whether they
    interview me or not.

    This is not the first time either myself or other friends have come
    across the agencies not putting us forward. Yet actually getting
    employed via a different agency and the employer being happy with our
    skill set.

    regards

    Thing
     
    thing2, Jul 26, 2005
    #6
  7. "thing2" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Question,
    >
    > If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    > client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    > says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    > feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?
    >
    > I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    > fee if no moral one.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing
    >

    agents are scum of the earth and they will screw you for everything they
    can.
     
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jul 26, 2005
    #7
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    H.O.G Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:01:13 +1200, thing2 <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >Question,
    >
    >If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    >client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    >says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    >feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?
    >
    >I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    >fee if no moral one.
    >
    >Thoughts?


    It is up to the agency to put forward the people *they* feel are most
    suited to the job. In this case, it appears that this isn't you.

    Don't approach the employer directly. All that will result from that
    is that the agency will put you at the bottom of the list for any
    future jobs.

    Agencies do more than just put people forward. The employer has asked
    the agency to vet applicants, and will most likely not be interested
    in your advances, unless you did an exceptional job of selling
    yourself.
     
    H.O.G, Jul 26, 2005
    #8
  9. "H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:01:13 +1200, thing2 <>
    > spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>Question,
    >>
    >>If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    >>client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    >>says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    >>feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?
    >>
    >>I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    >>fee if no moral one.
    >>
    >>Thoughts?

    >
    > It is up to the agency to put forward the people *they* feel are most
    > suited to the job. In this case, it appears that this isn't you.
    >
    > Don't approach the employer directly. All that will result from that
    > is that the agency will put you at the bottom of the list for any
    > future jobs.
    >
    > Agencies do more than just put people forward. The employer has asked
    > the agency to vet applicants, and will most likely not be interested
    > in your advances, unless you did an exceptional job of selling
    > yourself.


    You give too much credit to the agencies.... But they do stupid things.

    One time I negotiated a contract rate verbally - then, they sent me the
    contract with a higher rate than negotiated and with double rate overtime
    allowances (also not negotiated).
     
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jul 26, 2005
    #9
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    JohnO Guest

    Agents are mindless pattern matching bots who wouldn't have a clue
    about the portability of your skills. This is so typical.

    If you know who the prospective employer is then you should just write
    them a letter explaining that the recruiter refused to put you in fornt
    of them but that your skills are portable into their environment, and
    offer to come in for an interview. If they like you then it's up to
    them to sort out the agents.
     
    JohnO, Jul 26, 2005
    #10
  11. thing2 wrote:
    > Mark Remfrey wrote:
    >
    >> thing2 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Question,
    >>>
    >>> If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say
    >>> the client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the
    >>> client says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not
    >>> essential....should you feel obliged not to put yourself forward
    >>> directly to the client?
    >>>
    >>> I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency
    >>> demanding a fee if no moral one.
    >>>
    >>> Thoughts?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> You can get into nasty messes with prospective employers and the
    >> agencies heading down that track. You don't want to be the meat in
    >> that sandwich, as the employer will more than likely go off you very
    >> quickly.
    >>
    >> Saying that, if you approach it the right way, a prospective employer
    >> can be entertained in such a way that you keep both sides happy. If
    >> you can sell yourself in direct to the employer, but fully divulging
    >> your relationship with the agency, this can be seen as a positive. I
    >> have employed people who have done this the right way, and still paid
    >> the agency fee based on the qualities of the candidate.
    >>
    >> The "nice to have Suse.." comment intimates that anyone who has Suse
    >> experience will get first look in. You'll have to do a great
    >> self-sell job to prove why you are better. It does work some times.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Mark Remfrey

    >
    >
    > Enterprise level Suse admins are probably not that common in Wellington
    > / NZ. Redhat is probably far more common.
    >
    > I'm kinda thinking along the lines of keeping an eye open for an
    > independant advert, and if that happens put myself forward. I think I
    > will also mention that the agency did not put me forward and why dispite
    > the job description, then it is up to the employer whether they
    > interview me or not.
    >
    > This is not the first time either myself or other friends have come
    > across the agencies not putting us forward. Yet actually getting
    > employed via a different agency and the employer being happy with our
    > skill set.
    >
    > regards
    >


    You are talking about pond scum here, agencies are the worst thing ahead of
    even politicians and second hand car dealers.

    Any chance you have to go around them do so, it will always be better for you.




    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    ======================================================================
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at http://nzcollector.blogspot.com
     
    Collector»NZ, Jul 26, 2005
    #11
  12. Hi there,

    thing2 wrote:
    > Question,
    >
    > If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    > client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    > says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    > feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?


    I would contact the client directly. There is nothing in SuSE that
    an experienced sysadmin would not be able to pick up in like 30 or
    so seconds...download an ISO and try SuSE for yourself to familiarise
    yourself with YaST etc...

    > I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    > fee if no moral one.


    Yes thats possible. I've worked for a few agencies, and they have
    all made a point of strongly re-iterating over and over how much
    trouble I would get in if I solicited myself to a client without
    going thru the agency first.

    Consequently I dislike the way many agencies work. I believe agents
    with good knowledge of client requirements are few and far between.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u

    Software patents are killing YOUR freedom, STOP THEM NOW!
    http://swpat.ffii.org/ http://nosoftwarepatents.com/
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 26, 2005
    #12
  13. In article <>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >There is nothing in SuSE that
    >an experienced sysadmin would not be able to pick up in like 30 or
    >so seconds...


    I would watch out for the SuSEconfig scripts in /sbin/conf.d. You may
    make a change to a standard configuration file, then wonder why/how the
    system manages to override it.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 26, 2005
    #13
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    ofn01 Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > Question,
    >
    > If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    > client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    > says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    > feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?
    >
    > I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    > fee if no moral one.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing
    >


    That would be a bad, bad idea.
    Employment agencies want to put forward as many good candidates as they
    can to maximise the chance of securing the candidate a role and
    therefore getting their commission.

    If they are not willing to put you forward then chances are that the
    advert is designed to catch as many people as possible, but the reality
    of the role is that the employer has made very strict demands to the
    agency about the exact type of people they want to see.

    Or possibly the agency didn't think you would be a good match (maybe you
    came across a bit too over-confident about your skills/experience? I
    know for a fact that agencies have problems with arrogant candidates and
    try to avoid putting them forward to employers as it is embaressing)
     
    ofn01, Jul 26, 2005
    #14
  15. Bruce Sinclair

    ofn01 Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > thing2 wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Remfrey wrote:
    >>
    >>> thing2 wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Question,
    >>>>
    >>>> If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say
    >>>> the client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the
    >>>> client says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not
    >>>> essential....should you feel obliged not to put yourself forward
    >>>> directly to the client?
    >>>>
    >>>> I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency
    >>>> demanding a fee if no moral one.
    >>>>
    >>>> Thoughts?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> You can get into nasty messes with prospective employers and the
    >>> agencies heading down that track. You don't want to be the meat in
    >>> that sandwich, as the employer will more than likely go off you very
    >>> quickly.
    >>>
    >>> Saying that, if you approach it the right way, a prospective employer
    >>> can be entertained in such a way that you keep both sides happy. If
    >>> you can sell yourself in direct to the employer, but fully divulging
    >>> your relationship with the agency, this can be seen as a positive. I
    >>> have employed people who have done this the right way, and still paid
    >>> the agency fee based on the qualities of the candidate.
    >>>
    >>> The "nice to have Suse.." comment intimates that anyone who has Suse
    >>> experience will get first look in. You'll have to do a great
    >>> self-sell job to prove why you are better. It does work some times.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Mark Remfrey

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Enterprise level Suse admins are probably not that common in
    >> Wellington / NZ. Redhat is probably far more common.
    >>
    >> I'm kinda thinking along the lines of keeping an eye open for an
    >> independant advert, and if that happens put myself forward. I think I
    >> will also mention that the agency did not put me forward and why
    >> dispite the job description, then it is up to the employer whether
    >> they interview me or not.
    >>
    >> This is not the first time either myself or other friends have come
    >> across the agencies not putting us forward. Yet actually getting
    >> employed via a different agency and the employer being happy with our
    >> skill set.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>

    >
    > You are talking about pond scum here, agencies are the worst thing ahead
    > of even politicians and second hand car dealers.
    >
    > Any chance you have to go around them do so, it will always be better
    > for you.
    >


    I am no fan of recruitment agencies, and I know it is worse in I.T.
    because they don't know SFA about IT terminology etc. yet have to manage
    the matching of skills to requirements which are often communicated
    mainly with, IT Terminology.

    However, the original poster only found out about the company through
    the agency so really should go through them. Also as much as employers
    usually hate agencies (As they're always ringing up to try and see if
    they can place people), they also use them as a buffer/filter so
    contacting them directly could annoy them.

    I think the original poster would be treading on thin ice to use the
    information gained from the agency to then contact the employer directly.
     
    ofn01, Jul 26, 2005
    #15
  16. Bruce Sinclair

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:31:18 +1200, Collector»NZ
    <> wrote:

    >Any chance you have to go around them do so, it will always be better for you.


    Don't bother swerving, just run them over :)
     
    Bret, Jul 26, 2005
    #16
  17. Bruce Sinclair

    Tim Guest

    If the agency did not reveal to you who the client was, then feel free to
    apply directly.
    If the agency did reveal to you who the client was then decided not to put
    you forward then that is THEIR problem. You can always go to another agency
    that may be listing the same Client. You do not have a contract with the
    agency (unless you do already have a signed contract with the agency...).
    The agencies internal policies should be to not reveal who the Client is
    until they have committed to putting you forward at which point in time you
    get the right to veto the application. If they do not do this then they are
    breaching what should be their own internal client confidentiality policies.

    If there is any backlash from the Client then explain that the agency did
    not demonstrate sufficient knowledge of technology to know the difference
    between OS versions and their similarities... carefully. I suggest you have
    strong skills ready to demonstrate that the skills you have are relevant. "I
    felt I was disadvantaged by their lack of knowledge of computer operating
    systems - but thats not surprising as it is a highly technical field".

    It is a tragedy that too often agencies and personnel depts. do not
    understand the terminology, technology and skills needed in applicants for
    positions. This leeds towards the eternally dumb approach of "Must have a
    degree" (don't care what) and the resulting low match of actual skills
    required with those hired. Perhaps it would be wise for all applications to
    Agencies to start with the assumption that the agency does not understand
    what they are asking for, does not understand subtle or major differences
    between related products and so on and to be ready for this.

    EG you apply for a job as a C programmer. Your CV mentions C++ all over the
    place... You don't get the job as you don't meet requirements. What should
    you have done to the CV before you submitted it to overcome this likely
    event?

    Whatever you do, when you post your application, do the following:
    0. Make sure you KNOW what they want - what their requirements are.
    1. Cover letter - make it short - 1 page. State clearly how YOU meet their
    requirements etc.
    2. CV highlight how YOU meet their requirements. Shrink sections that are
    totally irrelevant. Detail sections that have 100% skills requirements
    matches. Don't omit anything in history to leave holes - detail back to high
    school.

    IE always customise your CV to highlight the relevant bits and reduce the
    irrelevant bits.

    A short CV (3-4 pages) that highlights how your experience meets their
    requirements is exceedingly better than a 20 page CV that leaves it up to
    them to ferret out the occasional single line that might have them make an
    educated guess (if they are educated enough) to see if it is relevant to
    their requirements.

    When 100 applicants apply and you are reading the CV's the thing to do is to
    highlight and rate each CV in terms of what is being sought for the
    position.

    BOL.





    "thing2" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Question,
    >
    > If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    > client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    > says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    > feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?
    >
    > I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    > fee if no moral one.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing
    >
     
    Tim, Jul 26, 2005
    #17
  18. Bruce Sinclair

    Nelly Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:42:12 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >"H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:01:13 +1200, thing2 <>
    >> spoke these fine words:
    >>
    >>>Question,
    >>>
    >>>If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    >>>client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    >>>says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    >>>feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?
    >>>
    >>>I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    >>>fee if no moral one.
    >>>
    >>>Thoughts?

    >>
    >> It is up to the agency to put forward the people *they* feel are most
    >> suited to the job. In this case, it appears that this isn't you.
    >>
    >> Don't approach the employer directly. All that will result from that
    >> is that the agency will put you at the bottom of the list for any
    >> future jobs.
    >>
    >> Agencies do more than just put people forward. The employer has asked
    >> the agency to vet applicants, and will most likely not be interested
    >> in your advances, unless you did an exceptional job of selling
    >> yourself.

    >
    >You give too much credit to the agencies.... But they do stupid things.
    >
    >One time I negotiated a contract rate verbally - then, they sent me the
    >contract with a higher rate than negotiated and with double rate overtime
    >allowances (also not negotiated).
    >

    So which did you end up with the verbal rate written one?


    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)
     
    Nelly, Jul 27, 2005
    #18
  19. Bruce Sinclair

    Nelly Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:45:59 +1200, Nelly
    < > wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:42:12 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:01:13 +1200, thing2 <>
    >>> spoke these fine words:
    >>>
    >>>>Question,
    >>>>
    >>>>If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    >>>>client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    >>>>says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    >>>>feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?
    >>>>
    >>>>I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    >>>>fee if no moral one.
    >>>>
    >>>>Thoughts?
    >>>
    >>> It is up to the agency to put forward the people *they* feel are most
    >>> suited to the job. In this case, it appears that this isn't you.
    >>>
    >>> Don't approach the employer directly. All that will result from that
    >>> is that the agency will put you at the bottom of the list for any
    >>> future jobs.
    >>>
    >>> Agencies do more than just put people forward. The employer has asked
    >>> the agency to vet applicants, and will most likely not be interested
    >>> in your advances, unless you did an exceptional job of selling
    >>> yourself.

    >>
    >>You give too much credit to the agencies.... But they do stupid things.
    >>
    >>One time I negotiated a contract rate verbally - then, they sent me the
    >>contract with a higher rate than negotiated and with double rate overtime
    >>allowances (also not negotiated).
    >>

    >So which did you end up with the verbal rate written one?
    >
    >

    Sorry that should "So which did you end up with the verbal rate or
    written one?".


    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)
     
    Nelly, Jul 27, 2005
    #19
  20. "Nelly" < > wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:42:12 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:01:13 +1200, thing2 <>
    >>> spoke these fine words:
    >>>
    >>>>Question,
    >>>>
    >>>>If an agency declines to put you forward for a job because they say the
    >>>>client wants Suse linux, yet the job description supplied by the client
    >>>>says must have Linux, nice to have Suse but not essential....should you
    >>>>feel obliged not to put yourself forward directly to the client?
    >>>>
    >>>>I guess there might be a legal issue / chase from the agency demanding a
    >>>>fee if no moral one.
    >>>>
    >>>>Thoughts?
    >>>
    >>> It is up to the agency to put forward the people *they* feel are most
    >>> suited to the job. In this case, it appears that this isn't you.
    >>>
    >>> Don't approach the employer directly. All that will result from that
    >>> is that the agency will put you at the bottom of the list for any
    >>> future jobs.
    >>>
    >>> Agencies do more than just put people forward. The employer has asked
    >>> the agency to vet applicants, and will most likely not be interested
    >>> in your advances, unless you did an exceptional job of selling
    >>> yourself.

    >>
    >>You give too much credit to the agencies.... But they do stupid things.
    >>
    >>One time I negotiated a contract rate verbally - then, they sent me the
    >>contract with a higher rate than negotiated and with double rate overtime
    >>allowances (also not negotiated).
    >>

    > So which did you end up with the verbal rate written one?
    >
    >
    > Nelly.
    > If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)


    I ended up with the higher rates and conditions as per the written contract.
     
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jul 27, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Sniper

    Photo Agencies...

    Sniper, Apr 26, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    547
    Sniper
    Apr 26, 2007
  2. Dave

    Employment Agencies

    Dave, Jun 19, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    700
    Plato
    Jun 21, 2007
  3. Craig

    Submitting to Microstock agencies question

    Craig, Aug 24, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    432
    David Kilpatrick
    Aug 25, 2007
  4. joe_90

    IT recruitment agencies

    joe_90, Sep 11, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    405
    Bill Guest
    Sep 12, 2003
  5. tf2010r220
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,350
    tf2010r220
    Jun 18, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page