EMI drops DRM

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Apr 2, 2007.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://blogs.theledger.com/default.asp?item=552212
    EMI, no DRM? OMG!

    Contributed by Brandon Hardin - Posted: April 2, 2007 12:57:57 PM

    Good news! EMI Group has announced it's going to offer music and video with
    no digital-rights management (DRM) encoding, starting with iTunes. Not only
    that, the sound quality will be double.

    http://www.mp3.com/news/stories/9251.html
    UK label giant eschews industry-wide reliance on copy-protection software;
    Apple to charge 30 cents more per song.

    EMI Music said today that it has agreed to make its entire catalog available
    for sale on iTunes without copy-protection software, a groundbreaking move
    that makes it the first major label to do so.

    http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=17659&pagtype=allchandate
    Apple and EMI today revealed plans to introduce high-quality 256k music
    downloads free of DRM restrictions as a top tier option through iTunes –
    and other digital music services – worldwide.

    Well you get the idea. Bit late for an April fools joke, so.. fingers
    crossed everyone?

    Shane, Apr 2, 2007

  2. Shane

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=-, Apr 2, 2007

  3. On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 07:58:57 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> http://blogs.theledger.com/default.asp?item=552212
    >> EMI, no DRM? OMG!

    > 1. AAC format only.
    > 2. 25% higher price than the same titles with DRM.

    1. AAC - open standard that many (including the Zune) have
    implemented - which requires no licensing, unlike MP3

    2. 25% higher cost for singles, at double the bit-rate encoding.
    Same cost for albums, but still double the bitrate encoding.

    > Looks like Apple are running this show, not EMI.

    Looks like only some people are actually reading the
    information :)

    Cheers, Liam

    Liam Greenwood, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Shane

    Guest

    On Apr 2, 1:19 pm, Liam Greenwood <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 07:58:57 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    > > Shane wrote:
    > >>http://blogs.theledger.com/default.asp?item=552212
    > >> EMI, noDRM? OMG!

    > > 1. AAC format only.
    > > 2. 25% higher price than the same titles withDRM.

    > 1. AAC - open standard that many (including the Zune) have
    > implemented - which requires no licensing, unlike MP3
    >
    > 2. 25% higher cost for singles, at double the bit-rate encoding.
    > Same cost for albums, but still double the bitrate encoding.
    >

    > > Looks likeAppleare running this show, not EMI.

    > Looks like only some people are actually reading the
    > information :)
    >
    > Cheers, Liam

    Hello,
    I'm a bit of a newbie, so sorry if this is a dumb question. If I
    upgrade the bitrate of the songs will it also increase the double the
    size of the file, I have a shuffle, and it's filled completely with
    itunes purchased music, will I now only be able to store half of my
    songs on it, and if not how much will the size of the songs increase?

    Thank You

    , Apr 2, 2007
  5. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > On Apr 2, 1:19 pm, Liam Greenwood <> wrote:
    > > On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 07:58:57 +1200, -=rjh=- <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > 1. AAC format only.
    > > > 2. 25% higher price than the same titles withDRM.

    > > 1. AAC - open standard that many (including the Zune) have
    > > implemented - which requires no licensing, unlike MP3
    > >
    > > 2. 25% higher cost for singles, at double the bit-rate encoding.
    > > Same cost for albums, but still double the bitrate encoding.
    > >

    > > > Looks likeAppleare running this show, not EMI.

    > > Looks like only some people are actually reading the
    > > information :)
    > >
    > > Cheers, Liam

    > Hello,
    > I'm a bit of a newbie, so sorry if this is a dumb question. If I
    > upgrade the bitrate of the songs will it also increase the double the
    > size of the file,

    Approximately, yes. You don't get better quality for nothing.

    > I have a shuffle, and it's filled completely with
    > itunes purchased music, will I now only be able to store half of my
    > songs on it, and if not how much will the size of the songs increase?

    The change only effects any _EMI_ songs that you purchase from now on. Your
    existing songs will stay just the size that they are.

    > Thank You

    You're welcome.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 3, 2007
  6. Shane

    Vista Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 2, 1:19 pm, Liam Greenwood <> wrote:

    >> > 1. AAC format only.
    >> > 2. 25% higher price than the same titles withDRM.

    >> 1. AAC - open standard that many (including the Zune) have
    >> implemented - which requires no licensing, unlike MP3
    >>
    >> 2. 25% higher cost for singles, at double the bit-rate encoding.
    >> Same cost for albums, but still double the bitrate encoding.
    >>

    >> > Looks likeAppleare running this show, not EMI.

    >> Looks like only some people are actually reading the
    >> information :)
    >>
    >> Cheers, Liam

    > Hello,
    > I'm a bit of a newbie, so sorry if this is a dumb question. If I
    > upgrade the bitrate of the songs will it also increase the double the
    > size of the file, I have a shuffle, and it's filled completely with
    > itunes purchased music, will I now only be able to store half of my
    > songs on it, and if not how much will the size of the songs increase?
    >
    > Thank You

    Yes, you would not be able to fit as many songs on it. Maybe apple wants
    people to ugrade to larger ipods too.

    Vista, Apr 3, 2007
  7. Shane

    Richard Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> http://blogs.theledger.com/default.asp?item=552212
    >> EMI, no DRM? OMG!

    > 1. AAC format only.
    > 2. 25% higher price than the same titles with DRM.
    >
    > Looks like Apple are running this show, not EMI.

    Well, when they start to sell apple lossless or flac then I will be
    somewhat interested, till then its a good step in the right direction at
    least, but a hell of a lot more expensive then allofmp3 was for me ;)

    Richard, Apr 3, 2007
  8. In <4611610a$> -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> http://blogs.theledger.com/default.asp?item=552212
    >> EMI, no DRM? OMG!

    > 1. AAC format only.

    Naturally Apple will continue to sell tracks in AAC format, but since
    EMI no longer requires DRM other stores will presumably be free to use
    whatever their favourite format is when selling the same EMI catalogue.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 3, 2007
  9. On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 07:58:57 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    >> http://blogs.theledger.com/default.asp?item=552212
    >> EMI, no DRM? OMG!

    > 1. AAC format only.
    > 2. 25% higher price than the same titles with DRM.

    3. twice the bitrate of the DRM'd version.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
    When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 3, 2007
  10. On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 15:13:49 -0700, darwinjoe1831beta wrote:

    > I'm a bit of a newbie, so sorry if this is a dumb question. If I
    > upgrade the bitrate of the songs will it also increase the double the
    > size of the file, I have a shuffle, and it's filled completely with
    > itunes purchased music, will I now only be able to store half of my
    > songs on it, and if not how much will the size of the songs increase?

    Double the bitrate = double the data = double the file size.

    Double the bitrate = much better audio quality.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 3, 2007
  11. On 2 Apr 2007 15:13:49 -0700,
    <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm a bit of a newbie, so sorry if this is a dumb question. If I
    > upgrade the bitrate of the songs will it also increase the double the
    > size of the file, I have a shuffle, and it's filled completely with
    > itunes purchased music, will I now only be able to store half of my
    > songs on it, and if not how much will the size of the songs increase?
    >
    > Thank You

    No, the songs will be approx double the size on your computer but
    you can tell iTunes to downsample to the current size when it loads
    the shuffle so you can fit the same number as before. From the iTunes help:

    To manage space on your iPod shuffle or iTunes-enabled phone:
    Connect the device to your computer.
    When the device appears in the iTunes window, select it, click
    Settings, and then do one or more of the following:
    To maximize the number of songs that fit on the device, select
    "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 Kbps AAC."

    Cheers, Liam

    Liam Greenwood, Apr 3, 2007
  12. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    > > http://blogs.theledger.com/default.asp?item=552212
    > > EMI, no DRM? OMG!

    > 1. AAC format only.
    > 2. 25% higher price than the same titles with DRM.
    >
    > Looks like Apple are running this show, not EMI.

    I bet Apple wish that they were running the EU right now. It seems that
    they're selling certain songs at different prices in the UK to what they
    charge in other parts of Europe. Also, certain songs are only available in
    some EU countries (local iTunes site) and not others. This is against the EU
    "free trade across Europe" laws and they're 'warning' Apple at this stage.

    Insomniac BBC world factiod #3,769.
    --
    Shaun. (Anyone see that French double-deck train that did something like 571
    km/h? That's freaking amazing IMO.)

    ~misfit~, Apr 4, 2007