Emerson EWD2202 trouble

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Nathan, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    I just bought this little EWD2202 DVD/VCR. It pulls in cable all
    right and will play my CDRs and even some of my CDRWs -- it won't
    play all of them, and it put that little "forbidden" sign on some
    of the tracks and wouldn't play them. Still, I can live with
    that. I have a lot of other ways to play MP3 cdrws. What's really
    bothering me is the VCR.

    I put in a tape which had a recording tab in place. The tape deck
    started immediate playback, as though there were no tab. I pushed
    stop, and then pushed the record button and it ejected the tape.
    Again, exactly as if there were no tab. I tried this with several
    tapes and it behaved exactly the same way. I also tried putting a
    couple layers of masking tape over the tab, in case it wasn't
    sensing there was a tab there, and it still behaved as if there
    was no tab.

    I'm going to call Emerson in the morning but if I can't get a
    decent answer out of them this thing is going back where I got
    it and I'll never buy Emerson again.

    Nathan

    Nathan, Jul 3, 2003

  2. >I'm going to call Emerson in the morning but if I can't get a
    >decent answer out of them this thing is going back where I got
    >it and I'll never buy Emerson again

    The problem you have sounds like a sensor switch for the record tab is faulty.

    Take it back now and get a unit from a Japanese brand, preferrably from Sony,
    Toshiba, JVC, or Panasonic. Emerson of today is garbage that's made by Funai.

    However, I totally recommend buying separates. Less trouble, better
    performance, and higher level of build quality. A combination unit is a
    compromise in all of these areas. Recommended brands of DVD players are Sony,
    Toshiba, Pioneer, JVC, and Panasonic. Don't look at anything else.

    For VCRs, the highest end Sony, Toshiba, or Mitsubishi would be a good choice,
    but an even better one would be to buy an older Japanese VCR (late 1980s-mid
    1990s) that's reconditioned by an experienced technician. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jul 3, 2003

  3. The only thing worse than an Emerson product is a DVD/VCR combo unit.

    1) Avoid Emerson (go Panasonic, JVC, Pioneer, or Sony)
    2) Don't get a combo unit. Get seperate components.

    Ransack The Elder, Jul 5, 2003