    provide a great service.

    Bob

    , Nov 1, 2008

  2. Nick Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    > was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    > the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########. A
    > couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    > shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    > not clear down! Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    > provide a great service.
    >
    > Bob

    Any idea who and where your initial call was answered?

    Nick, Nov 1, 2008

  3. Graham. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    > was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    > the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########. A
    > couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    > shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    > not clear down! Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    > provide a great service.
    >
    > Bob

    This is very intresting news. There has been a tab in the
    settings area of their website for a few weeks now
    where you can register your location, but the 999/112
    was connecting to a recording that said the service was
    not possible a week or so ago when I tried.

    There is now a flash on the main screen when you have logged in
    which says
    Important notice: In order to be able to contact the emergency
    services from your sipgate account, you have to configure and activate
    your emergency location! Without doing so, making an emergency call
    is not possible and could put you and your loved ones in jeopardy
    should an emergency occur! Configure now
    So, as I don't particulaly want to test this again myself,
    did you fill in the registration on the site, or is the above
    statement not totally true?
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 1, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Nov 1, 12:27 pm, "Nick" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    > > was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    > > the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########.  A
    > > couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    > > shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    > > not clear down!  Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    > > provide a great service.

    > > Bob

    > Any idea who and where your initial call was answered?

    In the heat of the moment I sure the operator said sheffield.

    , Nov 1, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Nov 1, 1:22 pm, "Graham." <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    > > was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    > > the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########.  A
    > > couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    > > shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    > > not clear down!  Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    > > provide a great service.

    > > Bob

    > This is very intresting news. There has been a tab in the
    > settings area of their website for a few weeks now
    > where you can register your location, but the 999/112
    > was connecting to a recording that said the service was
    > not possible a week or so ago when I tried.
    >
    > There is now a flash on the main screen when you have logged in
    > which says
    > Important notice: In order to be able to contact the emergency
    > services from your sipgate account, you have to configure and activate
    > your emergency location! Without doing so, making an emergency call
    > is not possible and could put you and your loved ones in jeopardy
    > should an emergency occur! Configure now
    > So, as I don't particulaly want to test this again myself,
    > did you fill in the registration on the site, or is the above
    > statement not totally true?
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    Yes the first time I registered about a month ago, it came as active
    and then after a few days it said that It was not active.I then
    contacted the sipgate helpline and was told that it was another firm
    that handled the emergency side and to contact them again, after a few
    days I got a email from Sipgate informing me that it was active.
    anyway, it worked very well last night.When we had a vonage account it
    was shamble, we live in south london and our call was handled in
    Essex, the Police operator got all stressed and said" What are you
    calling us here for" then transferred the call to the Met. when we
    tried to put the line down the damn phone kept ringing !followed by a
    stressed police operator that kept saying " Please replace your
    handset" Wife told here she was going to chuck the phone and the ata
    out of the window!

    , Nov 1, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Nov 1, 1:22 pm, "Graham." <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    > > was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    > > the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########.  A
    > > couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    > > shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    > > not clear down!  Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    > > provide a great service.

    > > Bob

    > This is very intresting news. There has been a tab in the
    > settings area of their website for a few weeks now
    > where you can register your location, but the 999/112
    > was connecting to a recording that said the service was
    > not possible a week or so ago when I tried.
    >
    > There is now a flash on the main screen when you have logged in
    > which says
    > Important notice: In order to be able to contact the emergency
    > services from your sipgate account, you have to configure and activate
    > your emergency location! Without doing so, making an emergency call
    > is not possible and could put you and your loved ones in jeopardy
    > should an emergency occur! Configure now
    > So, as I don't particulaly want to test this again myself,
    > did you fill in the registration on the site, or is the above
    > statement not totally true?
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    it should work if you try it again

    , Nov 1, 2008
  7. Guest

    On Nov 1, 1:22 pm, "Graham." <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    > > was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    > > the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########.  A
    > > couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    > > shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    > > not clear down!  Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    > > provide a great service.

    > > Bob

    > This is very intresting news. There has been a tab in the
    > settings area of their website for a few weeks now
    > where you can register your location, but the 999/112
    > was connecting to a recording that said the service was
    > not possible a week or so ago when I tried.
    >
    > There is now a flash on the main screen when you have logged in
    > which says
    > Important notice: In order to be able to contact the emergency
    > services from your sipgate account, you have to configure and activate
    > your emergency location! Without doing so, making an emergency call
    > is not possible and could put you and your loved ones in jeopardy
    > should an emergency occur! Configure now
    > So, as I don't particulaly want to test this again myself,
    > did you fill in the registration on the site, or is the above
    > statement not totally true?
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    take a look at this http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=676&qw=999 calls

    , Nov 1, 2008
  8. Graham. Guest

    > >I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    > > was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    > > the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########. A
    > > couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    > > shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    > > not clear down! Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    > > provide a great service.

    > > Bob

    > This is very intresting news. There has been a tab in the
    > settings area of their website for a few weeks now
    > where you can register your location, but the 999/112
    > was connecting to a recording that said the service was
    > not possible a week or so ago when I tried.
    >
    > There is now a flash on the main screen when you have logged in
    > which says
    > Important notice: In order to be able to contact the emergency
    > services from your sipgate account, you have to configure and activate
    > your emergency location! Without doing so, making an emergency call
    > is not possible and could put you and your loved ones in jeopardy
    > should an emergency occur! Configure now
    > So, as I don't particulaly want to test this again myself,
    > did you fill in the registration on the site, or is the above
    > statement not totally true?
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    Yes the first time I registered about a month ago, it came as active
    and then after a few days it said that It was not active.I then
    contacted the sipgate helpline and was told that it was another firm
    that handled the emergency side and to contact them again, after a few
    days I got a email from Sipgate informing me that it was active.
    anyway, it worked very well last night.When we had a vonage account it
    was shamble, we live in south london and our call was handled in
    Essex, the Police operator got all stressed and said" What are you
    calling us here for" then transferred the call to the Met. when we
    tried to put the line down the damn phone kept ringing !followed by a
    stressed police operator that kept saying " Please replace your
    handset" Wife told here she was going to chuck the phone and the ata
    out of the window!

    I just wonder if it will work when you haven't registered your
    address, they say it won't but that might be just to encourage
    you to register. I can see some dilemmas here with the fact that
    by it's very nature VoIP calls can originate from anywhere.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 1, 2008
  9. On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 00:52:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    > I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    > was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    > the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########. A
    > couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    > shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    > not clear down! Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    > provide a great service.

    It won't let me register my address. It keeps saying

    "Your address appears to be invalid. Please check your emergency address."

    Perhaps it can't cope with Wales.

    Piers Finlayson, Nov 1, 2008
  10. Graham. Guest

    "Piers Finlayson" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 00:52:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >
    >> I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    >> was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    >> the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########. A
    >> couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    >> shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    >> not clear down! Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    >> provide a great service.
    >>

    > It won't let me register my address. It keeps saying
    >
    > "Your address appears to be invalid. Please check your emergency address."
    >
    > Perhaps it can't cope with Wales.

    I get An error has occured. (sic.) Please try again later.
    Maybe we need an "Honour", shall I wait until New Year?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 1, 2008
  11. On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:42:44 -0000, Graham. wrote:

    > "Piers Finlayson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 00:52:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >>
    >>> I used my sipgate account to make a emergency call to the police and
    >>> was very impressed, was asked to confirm my location and what service,
    >>> the oerator then informed police that Iws voip caller ##########. A
    >>> couple of years ago I made another 999 call via vonage and it was a
    >>> shambles, got routed to the wrong police force and then the line would
    >>> not clear down! Keep up the good work Sipgate, you are cheaper and
    >>> provide a great service.
    >>>

    >> It won't let me register my address. It keeps saying
    >>
    >> "Your address appears to be invalid. Please check your emergency address."
    >>
    >> Perhaps it can't cope with Wales.

    > I get An error has occured. (sic.) Please try again later.
    > Maybe we need an "Honour", shall I wait until New Year?

    How many years are you prepared to wait :)

    Piers Finlayson, Nov 1, 2008
  12. Mike Sun Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > The other thing is, like a lot of people on this group
    > I just use my Sipgate accounts for incoming calls,
    > I have never paid them any money for credit, the
    > only calls I make on sipgate are to other Sipgate
    > users and 0800 etc.I wonder if that disqualifies me
    > from Emergency calls?
    > --
    > Graham.

    Graham,
    Like you, I paid no money to SipGate but seem to have been successful in
    getting my emergency service option activated. It remains as yet untested (I
    have retained my BT line) but I see no reason why it would not work.
    Cheers from Mike

    Mike Sun, Nov 1, 2008
  13. Graham. Guest

    >> The other thing is, like a lot of people on this group
    >> I just use my Sipgate accounts for incoming calls,
    >> I have never paid them any money for credit, the
    >> only calls I make on sipgate are to other Sipgate
    >> users and 0800 etc.I wonder if that disqualifies me
    >> from Emergency calls?
    >> --
    >> Graham.
    >>

    > Graham,
    > Like you, I paid no money to SipGate but seem to have been successful in
    > getting my emergency service option activated. It remains as yet untested
    > (I
    > have retained my BT line) but I see no reason why it would not work.
    > Cheers from Mike

    OK I just reied it again and this time It said
    my details would be validated, but didn't say how.
    I checked my email and got this

    Duesseldorf, 02.11.2008

    Dear sipgate Customer,

    You have provided the following address for the activation
    of the emergency number service:

    [my name and address as submitted]

    sipgate will verify and validate your emergency address. This process
    can take a few days and you will receive an e-mail confirming that the
    emergency call service has been activated. You can always check the
    emergency status on the sipgate website in your settings area.

    Best regards,

    the sipgate team

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 2, 2008
  14. Guest

    On Nov 2, 2:17 am, "Graham." <> wrote:
    > >> The other thing is, like a lot of people on this group
    > >> I just use my Sipgate accounts for incoming calls,
    > >> I have never paid them any money for credit, the
    > >> only calls I make on sipgate are to other Sipgate
    > >> users and 0800 etc.I wonder if that disqualifies me
    > >> from Emergency calls?
    > >> --
    > >> Graham.

    > > Graham,
    > > Like you, I paid no money to SipGate but seem to have been successful in
    > > getting my emergency service option activated. It remains as yet untested
    > > (I
    > > have retained my BT line) but I see no reason why it would not work.
    > > Cheers from Mike

    > OK I just reied it again and this time It said
    > my details would be validated, but didn't say how.
    > I checked my email and got this
    >
    > Duesseldorf, 02.11.2008
    >
    > Dear sipgate Customer,
    >
    > You have provided the following address for the activation
    > of the emergency number service:
    >
    > [my name and address as submitted]
    >
    > sipgate will verify and validate your emergency address. This process
    > can take a few days and you will receive an e-mail confirming that the
    > emergency call service has been activated. You can always check the
    > emergency status on the sipgate website in your settings area.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > the sipgate team
    >
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    Like a number of you I had problems getting the details validated,
    but found sipgate helpful if I emailed them about it, I think there
    have been problems with the system, anyway, I just kept sending in
    request until it worked, you will get a email saying that it will be a
    few days before it is validated and then another when it's active. Re
    the Gentleman from Wales, it may help if you email mail them and it
    also seems to help if you go for the minimal approach with the
    address, anything with house names or local area names seems to cause
    a problem, just the number, road and post code seems to work! btw,
    the operator does ask you to confirm your location when you ring 999,
    must be checking against what's on a database because it's a voip
    connection!

    Cheers, Bob

    , Nov 2, 2008
  15. On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 01:23:16 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >>> Graham,
    >>> Like you, I paid no money to SipGate but seem to have been successful in
    >>> getting my emergency service option activated. It remains as yet untested
    >>> (I
    >>> have retained my BT line) but I see no reason why it would not work.
    >>> Cheers from Mike

    >> OK I just reied it again and this time It said
    >> my details would be validated, but didn't say how.
    >> I checked my email and got this
    >>
    >> Duesseldorf, 02.11.2008
    >>
    >> Dear sipgate Customer,
    >>
    >> You have provided the following address for the activation
    >> of the emergency number service:
    >>
    >> [my name and address as submitted]
    >>
    >> sipgate will verify and validate your emergency address. This process
    >> can take a few days and you will receive an e-mail confirming that the
    >> emergency call service has been activated. You can always check the
    >> emergency status on the sipgate website in your settings area.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> the sipgate team
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham.
    >>
    >> %Profound_observation%

    > Like a number of you I had problems getting the details validated,
    > but found sipgate helpful if I emailed them about it, I think there
    > have been problems with the system, anyway, I just kept sending in
    > request until it worked, you will get a email saying that it will be a
    > few days before it is validated and then another when it's active. Re
    > the Gentleman from Wales, it may help if you email mail them and it
    > also seems to help if you go for the minimal approach with the
    > address, anything with house names or local area names seems to cause
    > a problem, just the number, road and post code seems to work! btw,
    > the operator does ask you to confirm your location when you ring 999,
    > must be checking against what's on a database because it's a voip
    > connection!

    Sadly I don't have a house number, and neither do I have a road/street
    name. Instead I'm filling in house number and village (as per Royal Mail's
    database for my house).

    Even without house name (which isn't supposed to be a required field) it
    hits the same problem.

    I've sent them a message through their portal.

    Piers Finlayson, Nov 2, 2008
  16. Graham. Guest

    >>> OK I just reied it again and this time It said
    >>> my details would be validated, but didn't say how.
    >>> I checked my email and got this
    >>>
    >>> Duesseldorf, 02.11.2008
    >>>
    >>> Dear sipgate Customer,
    >>>
    >>> You have provided the following address for the activation
    >>> of the emergency number service:
    >>>
    >>> [my name and address as submitted]
    >>>
    >>> sipgate will verify and validate your emergency address. This process
    >>> can take a few days and you will receive an e-mail confirming that the
    >>> emergency call service has been activated. You can always check the
    >>> emergency status on the sipgate website in your settings area.
    >>>
    >>> Best regards,
    >>>
    >>> the sipgate team
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Graham.
    >>>
    >>> %Profound_observation%

    >> Like a number of you I had problems getting the details validated,
    >> but found sipgate helpful if I emailed them about it, I think there
    >> have been problems with the system, anyway, I just kept sending in
    >> request until it worked, you will get a email saying that it will be a
    >> few days before it is validated and then another when it's active. Re
    >> the Gentleman from Wales, it may help if you email mail them and it
    >> also seems to help if you go for the minimal approach with the
    >> address, anything with house names or local area names seems to cause
    >> a problem, just the number, road and post code seems to work! btw,
    >> the operator does ask you to confirm your location when you ring 999,
    >> must be checking against what's on a database because it's a voip
    >> connection!
    >>

    > Sadly I don't have a house number, and neither do I have a road/street
    > name. Instead I'm filling in house number and village (as per Royal
    > Mail's
    > database for my house).
    >
    > Even without house name (which isn't supposed to be a required field) it
    > hits the same problem.
    >
    > I've sent them a message through their portal.

    I would have thought that would be even more of a
    problem in a big country like Germany, and I am a bit surprised
    that there isn't provision for entering Lat/Long

    I got the confirmation email 6 1/2 hours later at 0830 this (Sun) morning.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 2, 2008
  17. wrote:
    > btw, the operator does ask you to confirm your location when you ring 999,
    > must be checking against what's on a database because it's a voip
    > connection!

    I think they confirm your location even on a PSTN phone just in case the
    database is wrong (or you're on a cordless in the next street or whatever).

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 2, 2008
  18. Guest

    On Nov 2, 1:07 pm, Piers Finlayson <> wrote:

    > >> OK I just reied it again and this time It said
    > >> my details would be validated, but didn't say how.
    > >> I checked my email and got this

    > >> Duesseldorf, 02.11.2008

    > >> Dear sipgate Customer,

    > >> You have provided the following address for the activation
    > >> of the emergency number service:

    > >> [my name and address as submitted]

    > >> sipgate will verify and validate your emergency address. This process
    > >> can take a few days and you will receive an e-mail confirming that the
    > >> emergency call service has been activated. You can always check the
    > >> emergency status on the sipgate website in your settings area.

    > >> Best regards,

    > >> the sipgate team

    > >> --
    > >> Graham.

    > >> %Profound_observation%

    > > Like a number of  you I had problems getting the details validated,
    > > but found sipgate helpful if I emailed them about it, I think there
    > > have been problems with the system, anyway, I just kept sending in
    > > request until it worked, you will get a email saying that it will be a
    > > few days before it is validated and then another when it's active.  Re
    > > the Gentleman from Wales, it may help if you email mail them and it
    > > also seems to help if you go for the minimal approach with the
    > > address, anything with house names or local area names seems to cause
    > > a problem, just the number, road and post code seems to work!  btw,
    > > the operator does ask you to confirm your location when you ring 999,
    > > must be checking against what's on a database because it's a voip
    > > connection!

    > Sadly I don't have a house number, and neither do I have a road/street
    > name.  Instead I'm filling in house number and village (as per Royal Mail's
    > database for my house).
    >
    > Even without house name (which isn't supposed to be a required field) it
    > hits the same problem.
    >
    > I've sent them a message through their portal.

    yea, that's the best thing to do, best of luck, bob

    , Nov 3, 2008
  19. Q Guest

    > You just have the operator asking which service you want and then went
    > they connect you to the chosen service, you hear them say your number
    > and the network you are calling from.

    Don't normally forward the number any more thanks to EISEC. Its just
    connected to the service you request. There are cases where verbal handover
    is done, but these are specific.

    > I've not used 999 on VoIP yet.

    No different to using it on a huge PBX system. Most calls from network rail
    route from the core node in Waterloo so have an 020 7 number. That could be
    for a station as far as Peterborough. They all get dumped into a split and
    we manually ask where there calling from.

    Q, Dec 1, 2008
  20. Graham. Guest

    "Q" <..@..> wrote in message news:49345927$0$2520$...

    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You just have the operator asking which service you want and then went
    >> they connect you to the chosen service, you hear them say your number
    >> and the network you are calling from.

    > Don't normally forward the number any more thanks to EISEC. Its just
    > connected to the service you request. There are cases where verbal
    > handover is done, but these are specific.
    >
    >> I've not used 999 on VoIP yet.

    > No different to using it on a huge PBX system. Most calls from network
    > rail route from the core node in Waterloo so have an 020 7 number. That
    > could be for a station as far as Peterborough. They all get dumped into a
    > split and we manually ask where there calling from.

    According to the OP, there was a verbal handover.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Dec 2, 2008