    could be done but the post didn't explain how. When I try to add any
    ascii characters to the file it stops working right.

    Ken

    Ken Hall, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Ken Hall

    pjp Guest

    It's done by slightly altering the actual original data and not by simply
    "adding it on". The data is later "reconstructed".

    pjp, Jun 30, 2005

  3. Ken Hall

    Ken Hall Guest

    Do you have a link to a program that does this or an explanation of
    how it's done?

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:47:26 GMT, "pjp"
    <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:

    >It's done by slightly altering the actual original data and not by simply
    >"adding it on". The data is later "reconstructed".
    >
    >"Ken Hall" <> wrote in message
    >> I would like to embed some notes inside a GIF file similar to the way
    >> EXIF data is embedded in JPEG files. Some time ago I read that this
    >> could be done but the post didn't explain how. When I try to add any
    >> ascii characters to the file it stops working right.
    >>
    >> Ken

    Ken

    Ken Hall, Jun 30, 2005
  4. Ken Hall <> writes:
    > I would like to embed some notes inside a GIF file similar to the
    > way EXIF data is embedded in JPEG files. Some time ago I read that
    > this could be done but the post didn't explain how. When I try to
    > add any ascii characters to the file it stops working right.

    The original GIF87 format didn't support comments, the newer GIF89
    does.

    A free command line tool that let you create GIF89 files with an
    embedded comment is ppmtogif:
    http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/ppmtogif.html

    If you want something with a GUI, John Bradley's xv let you
    edit the GIF89 comments:
    http://www.trilon.com/xv/

    There are probably tons of other programs out there that lets you
    do this - but the two above are the examples I know about.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jul 1, 2005