    telecom line interfaces. Vdex is an appliance: no disk drive, no
    monitor/keyboard and no noisy power supply.

    , May 18, 2007

  2. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hi, I just want to let the forum know that TechnoCo has
    > announced its embedded AsteriskT PBX appliance, "Vdex",
    > running a technoCo modified, embedded version of popular
    > AsteriskT PBX open software version 1.4.

    This is a newsgroup not a forum.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2007

  3. Paul Cupis Guest

    On 2007-05-18, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > This is a newsgroup not a forum.

    Are you trying to drag this[1] thread over to uk.telecom.voip?

    [1]
    <http://groups.google.com/group/uk.telecom.broadband/browse_thread/thread/7071cec11183e18d/3ffc7eb569101bf5?lnk=raot#3ffc7eb569101bf5>

    Paul Cupis, May 18, 2007
  4. Desk Rabbit Guest

    Re: Embedded Asterisk(tm) Appliance For Open Source Communities announcedby VoIP Pioneers (6)

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I just want to let the forum know that TechnoCo has
    >> announced its embedded AsteriskT PBX appliance, "Vdex",
    >> running a technoCo modified, embedded version of popular
    >> AsteriskT PBX open software version 1.4.

    > This is a newsgroup not a forum.

    And I found that particular piece of news re the Asterisk appliance very
    useful.

    Desk Rabbit, May 18, 2007
  5. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > On 2007-05-18, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > > This is a newsgroup not a forum.

    > Are you trying to drag this[1] thread over to
    > uk.telecom.voip?

    No, but you seem to be doing a good job. Please return to
    uk.telecom.broadband.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2007
  6. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, I just want to let the forum know that TechnoCo
    > > > has announced its embedded AsteriskT PBX appliance,
    > > > "Vdex", running a technoCo modified, embedded version
    > > > of popular AsteriskT PBX open software version 1.4.

    > > This is a newsgroup not a forum.

    > And I found that particular piece of news re the Asterisk
    > appliance very useful.

    Good, I'm very pleased to hear it. But this group still isn't a forum.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2007
  7. Desk Rabbit Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    >> Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>> This is a newsgroup not a forum.

    >> And I found that particular piece of news re the Asterisk
    >> appliance very useful.

    > Good, I'm very pleased to hear it. But this group still isn't a forum.

    No, it's a newsgroup and that was news. It was also news that was
    relevant to VOIP.

    Desk Rabbit, May 18, 2007
  8. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > > > And I found that particular piece of news re the
    > > > Asterisk appliance very useful.

    > > Good, I'm very pleased to hear it. But this group still
    > > isn't a forum.

    > No, it's a newsgroup and that was news. It was also news
    > that was relevant to VOIP.

    I wasn't disputing that.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2007
  9. Paul Cupis Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > I wasn't disputing that.

    No, your original post seems to have been purely to make it known that
    you don't like a certain word.

    Paul Cupis, May 19, 2007
  10. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > I wasn't disputing that.

    > No, your original post seems to have been purely to make
    > it known that you don't like a certain word.

    Correct.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 19, 2007
  11. Re: Embedded Asterisk(tm) Appliance For Open Source Communities announcedby VoIP Pioneers (6)

    In article <>,
    Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, I just want to let the forum know that TechnoCo has
    >>> announced its embedded AsteriskT PBX appliance, "Vdex",
    >>> running a technoCo modified, embedded version of popular
    >>> AsteriskT PBX open software version 1.4.

    >> This is a newsgroup not a forum.

    >And I found that particular piece of news re the Asterisk appliance very
    >useful.

    Indeed - shame they didn't give a link, I had to google for it. Only
    interested to see how it compares with my own embedded asterisk box :)

    .... And it's in the "not quite ready" category. They're also based
    in Oztrailia... Just a bit far to send an RMA...

    There are a fair number of these on the market now - some are just boxed
    up versions of Trixbox, or some of the other (free) GUI front-ends, and
    some (like mine) have their own front-ends to them. Even Digium themselves
    have an embedded platform that's avalable for deveoper use. (it was a
    bit pricey though the last time I looked, but the box looks nice!)

    I'm not convinced an embedded asterisk box is in the "appliance" category
    yet though, even if they do have no moving parts - I wouldn't be happy
    to let someone do a self-install on one of my boxes, although it ought
    to be possible, but they are just a little bit trickier to setup than
    a Panasonic 3+8 system.. The sort of issues I've had have been to do
    with echo on existing analogue lines, and configuring desk/soft phones
    for people, and there's a balance between putting a lot of effort into
    writing a clever GUI/Web front-end to do something that you can do in 5
    seconds with a text editor... And then there's tranining ("OMG there's
    a red flashing light on my phone, is it going to blow-up???" ;-)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 19, 2007