  1. i keep getting unwanted emails with no unsubscribe, can someone tell me how
    to stop them other than blocking as they are from different addresses each
    time i get them
    diane forster, Dec 29, 2007

  2. diane forster

    Mike Easter Guest

    diane forster wrote:
    > i keep getting unwanted emails with no unsubscribe, can someone tell
    > me how to stop them other than blocking as they are from different
    > addresses each time i get them

    - don't unsub to spam
    - don't let spam in your inbox
    - don't expose your address inappropriately

    Mail/spam management begins with choosing a satisfactory unique username
    so that you won't be receiving spam addressed to a username previously
    attached to some other domainname and residing on spamlists.

    Then you want to protect that 'private' email address as well as you can
    while still allowing it to be used by and potentially exposed by your
    friends and correspondents. You do not want to expose a good email
    address unnecessarily in usenet From or websites. You likely need
    alternate email addresses for some exposures to those who might sell or
    disclose your address to others.

    Then you need to protect your inbox from spam so that you don't read
    spamsubjects and spamfroms and so that you don't attempt to separate
    spam from goodmail with your eyeballs looking at the outside of the
    mail. Reading the outside of goodmail is not at all the same as reading
    the outside of spam. A powerful spamfilter is able to search all of the
    interior of the headers and body of the spam as it is arriving and tag
    it so that your weak mailuser agent can sort the spam into a Junk folder
    instead of your Inbox. The spamfilter working the spam's interior is
    far more powerful and better than your eyeballs working the exterior.

    By spamfilter-tagger handling your incoming discriminatorily, you won't
    be opening and reading spam and you won't be unsubscribing to spam and
    you won't be seeing spam in your inbox, only when you go to your junk
    folder to delete it. Properly filtered and tagged spam does not have to
    be opened to be deleted.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 29, 2007

  3. diane forster

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:34:26 GMT, "diane forster" <>
    wrote:

    >i keep getting unwanted emails with no unsubscribe, can someone tell me how
    >to stop them other than blocking as they are from different addresses each
    >time i get them

    If you've actually been *using* unsubscribe on *any* spam, then you can look
    forward to receiving a lot more of it - it just tells the spammers your address
    is valid. You're probably on the "millions cds" by now. Some hosts provide
    filters for their clients, but you're on VM, so that's not likely. Try SpamPal
    as a filter.

    And while you're at it, you should probably fix your caps key.

    --
    In Memoriam
    For Roz, Oct. 1, 2007 - 12/16/07
    Mara, Dec 29, 2007
  4. diane forster

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:34:26 GMT, diane forster wrote:

    >i keep getting unwanted emails with no unsubscribe, can someone tell me how
    >to stop them other than blocking as they are from different addresses each
    >time i get them

    That's the point of spam email. It's what happens when you post to
    newsgroups, l ike you just did. Give out your email address, not being
    careful with it.

    Don't unsub from spam if there is a link, it confirms your address.

    Don't bounce spam back to sender, just creates more traffic and many
    sender names are faked anyway.

    See what your ISP says,
    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_services_news_troubleshooting_howavoid

    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_email_advancedhelp

    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=help_webmail_advancedhelp
    See the AV / spam bit. VM mailbox , assuming it's the same for exNTL as
    exBY you can set reject / allow list and have messages flagged as spam.

    Me I use mailwasher, http://www.mailwasher.net/

    Me
    why?, Dec 29, 2007
  5. diane forster

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:34:26 +0000, diane forster wrote:

    > i keep getting unwanted emails with no unsubscribe, can someone tell me how
    > to stop them other than blocking as they are from different addresses each
    > time i get them

    I would tell you, but I have a strict policy against helping illiterates
    who write like a 3rd-grader, and don't know what the word "punctuation"
    means. FOAD.

    Dan C, Dec 29, 2007
  6. diane forster

    Plato Guest

    diane forster wrote:

    > i keep getting unwanted emails with no unsubscribe, can someone tell me how
    > to stop them other than blocking as they are from different addresses each
    > time i get them

    Next time use a disposable email address for webpages.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Dec 31, 2007