    don't appear in Sent Items either.

    POP3 and Yahoo xtra.

    I wondered if it is a general problem just now, or me, or the recipient.

    Geopelia, Nov 17, 2009

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hdvd32$54l$-september.org>,
    says...

    > Is anyone else sending emails to UK getting them held up for some days? They
    > don't appear in Sent Items either.
    >
    > POP3 and Yahoo xtra.
    >
    > I wondered if it is a general problem just now, or me, or the recipient.

    No problems mailing the UK for me.

    What email client are you using, and who is your email provider (ISP)?
    Need that info Geo!

    Most mail clients, if your email isn't in the Sent Items, it will be
    "stuck" in the Outbox. So is it there? If not, where are they - they
    must be *somewhere*.

    If they are being sent to your ISP (and no reason that email to any
    domain or country won't be), then an email server will send a Non
    Delivery Report (NDR) if the email cannot, for some reason, be sent
    further on (ie to your UK folk). So you should get an NDR saying the
    email has either not been able to be delivered (bounced) and a reason
    for that, or that it is in a 'retry' situation (eg. unable to contact an
    email server in the UK for the moment, will keep trying for 24 hours -
    or something to that effect).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Nov 18, 2009

  3. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:14:57 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >What email client are you using, and who is your email provider (ISP)?
    >Need that info Geo!

    Geo's ISP is " Yahoo xtra."

    Donchano, Nov 18, 2009
  4. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:18:56 +1300, Donchano
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:14:57 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    >from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>What email client are you using, and who is your email provider (ISP)?
    >>Need that info Geo!

    >Geo's ISP is " Yahoo xtra."

    And looking at the OP's header I'm assuming he uses the same mail
    client as newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843

    Donchano, Nov 18, 2009
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <hdvd32$54l$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Is anyone else sending emails to UK getting them held up for some days?
    >> They
    >> don't appear in Sent Items either.
    >>
    >> POP3 and Yahoo xtra.
    >>
    >> I wondered if it is a general problem just now, or me, or the recipient.

    > No problems mailing the UK for me.
    >
    > What email client are you using, and who is your email provider (ISP)?
    > Need that info Geo!

    Yahoo!Xtra mail default
    POP 3 mail
    Connection Any Available.

    > Most mail clients, if your email isn't in the Sent Items, it will be
    > "stuck" in the Outbox. So is it there? If not, where are they - they
    > must be *somewhere*.

    No. it's not in the Outbox
    Where else should I look?

    > If they are being sent to your ISP (and no reason that email to any
    > domain or country won't be), then an email server will send a Non
    > Delivery Report (NDR) if the email cannot, for some reason, be sent
    > further on (ie to your UK folk). So you should get an NDR saying the
    > email has either not been able to be delivered (bounced) and a reason
    > for that, or that it is in a 'retry' situation (eg. unable to contact an
    > email server in the UK for the moment, will keep trying for 24 hours -
    > or something to that effect).

    I haven't received any report.

    I press send and sometimes they just seem to have disappeared.
    A few short ones testing got to the recipient all at once several days late.

    She is on uko2.co.uk

    Perhaps it is their end. Cc I send to myself get to me.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 18, 2009
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    > On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:18:56 +1300, Donchano
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:14:57 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    >>from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>>What email client are you using, and who is your email provider (ISP)?
    >>>Need that info Geo!

    >>Geo's ISP is " Yahoo xtra."

    That's default.
    Also POP 3

    > And looking at the OP's header I'm assuming he uses the same mail
    > client as newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843

    The newsgroup is eternal-september.org(2)
    emails are Outlook Express

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 18, 2009
  7. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Is anyone else sending emails to UK getting them held up for some
    > days? They don't appear in Sent Items either.
    >
    > POP3 and Yahoo xtra.
    >
    > I wondered if it is a general problem just now, or me, or the
    > recipient.

    No problems here, Geo.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 18, 2009
  8. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <he0j8q$r9m$-september.org>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <hdvd32$54l$-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> Is anyone else sending emails to UK getting them held up for some days?
    > >> They
    > >> don't appear in Sent Items either.
    > >>
    > >> POP3 and Yahoo xtra.
    > >>
    > >> I wondered if it is a general problem just now, or me, or the recipient.

    > > No problems mailing the UK for me.
    > >
    > > What email client are you using, and who is your email provider (ISP)?
    > > Need that info Geo!

    > Yahoo!Xtra mail default
    > POP 3 mail
    > Connection Any Available.
    >

    > > Most mail clients, if your email isn't in the Sent Items, it will be
    > > "stuck" in the Outbox. So is it there? If not, where are they - they
    > > must be *somewhere*.

    > No. it's not in the Outbox
    > Where else should I look?

    *Everywhere* in your email client! :)

    In OE, Edit, Find ....

    > > If they are being sent to your ISP (and no reason that email to any
    > > domain or country won't be), then an email server will send a Non
    > > Delivery Report (NDR) if the email cannot, for some reason, be sent
    > > further on (ie to your UK folk). So you should get an NDR saying the
    > > email has either not been able to be delivered (bounced) and a reason
    > > for that, or that it is in a 'retry' situation (eg. unable to contact an
    > > email server in the UK for the moment, will keep trying for 24 hours -
    > > or something to that effect).

    > I haven't received any report.
    >
    > I press send and sometimes they just seem to have disappeared.
    > A few short ones testing got to the recipient all at once several days late.
    >
    > She is on uko2.co.uk
    >
    > Perhaps it is their end. Cc I send to myself get to me.

    Well surely they end up in Sent Items.

    Is your Sent Items folder sorted by Sent date, descending?

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Nov 19, 2009
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Is anyone else sending emails to UK getting them held up for some
    >> days? They don't appear in Sent Items either.
    >>
    >> POP3 and Yahoo xtra.
    >>
    >> I wondered if it is a general problem just now, or me, or the
    >> recipient.
    >>

    > No problems here, Geo.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    The recipient says a lot of my "testing" emails turned up all together days
    later. Looks like it's her end, if there is nothing wrong at Yahoo!xtra.
    Perhaps there is a bottleneck somewhere. Stuck on a satellite?

    She thinks whatever it was may be fixed now. But I'm still puzzled why they
    don't show in my Sent items. Perhaps whatever is holding them up stops that?

    Geopelia, Nov 19, 2009
  10. Geopelia

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> Is anyone else sending emails to UK getting them held up for some
    >>> days? They don't appear in Sent Items either.
    >>>
    >>> POP3 and Yahoo xtra.
    >>>
    >>> I wondered if it is a general problem just now, or me, or the
    >>> recipient.
    >>>

    >> No problems here, Geo.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    > The recipient says a lot of my "testing" emails turned up all together days
    > later. Looks like it's her end, if there is nothing wrong at Yahoo!xtra.
    > Perhaps there is a bottleneck somewhere. Stuck on a satellite?

    I have a friend who is using Yahoo! Xtra for her mail, and sometimes
    (quite often) she does not receive mail, especially from gmail. I wonder
    if the two issues are connected.

    Sailor Sam, Nov 19, 2009
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <he0j8q$r9m$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <hdvd32$54l$-september.org>,
    >> > says...

    >> > No problems mailing the UK for me.
    >> >
    >> > What email client are you using, and who is your email provider (ISP)?
    >> > Need that info Geo!

    >> Yahoo!Xtra mail default
    >> POP 3 mail
    >> Connection Any Available.
    >>

    >> > Most mail clients, if your email isn't in the Sent Items, it will be
    >> > "stuck" in the Outbox. So is it there? If not, where are they - they
    >> > must be *somewhere*.

    >> No. it's not in the Outbox
    >> Where else should I look?

    > *Everywhere* in your email client! :)
    >
    > In OE, Edit, Find ....
    >

    >> > If they are being sent to your ISP (and no reason that email to any
    >> > domain or country won't be), then an email server will send a Non
    >> > Delivery Report (NDR) if the email cannot, for some reason, be sent
    >> > further on (ie to your UK folk). So you should get an NDR saying the
    >> > email has either not been able to be delivered (bounced) and a reason
    >> > for that, or that it is in a 'retry' situation (eg. unable to contact
    >> > an
    >> > email server in the UK for the moment, will keep trying for 24 hours -
    >> > or something to that effect).

    >> I haven't received any report.
    >>
    >> I press send and sometimes they just seem to have disappeared.
    >> A few short ones testing got to the recipient all at once several days
    >> late.
    >>
    >> She is on uko2.co.uk
    >>
    >> Perhaps it is their end. Cc I send to myself get to me.

    > Well surely they end up in Sent Items.

    No.

    > Is your Sent Items folder sorted by Sent date, descending?

    Yes, but they are not there.

    If they turn up days late, where could they have been? She got a whole lot
    of "testing" ones sent over several days, all at once.
    She thinks she has got them all now.

    A mail strike in Britain couldn't be affecting emails, could it?
    ..

    Geopelia, Nov 19, 2009
  12. Re: emails to UK getting held up?

    In message <he2du9$i8m$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    > The recipient says a lot of my "testing" emails turned up all together
    > days later. Looks like it's her end, if there is nothing wrong at
    > Yahoo!xtra. Perhaps there is a bottleneck somewhere. Stuck on a satellite?

    I can assure you satellites don’t have enough storage to hold people’s
    emails.

    If your friend can post the mail headers (not the content of the message),
    that could give us some clues as to where the holdup is. Here’s a
    (sanitized) example I dealt with recently:

    by <customer’s main gateway server> (Postfix) with ESMTP id DAE3A60344C
    for <_zealand>; Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:39:24 +1300 (NZDT)

    Notice the two-and-a-half-hour difference between the times on the two
    lines? That shows that the main gateway server held on to the message for
    that long before passing it on to my ISP’s server.

    This is the kind of information we can deduce from examining the headers.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 19, 2009
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <he2du9$i8m$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> The recipient says a lot of my "testing" emails turned up all together
    >> days later. Looks like it's her end, if there is nothing wrong at
    >> Yahoo!xtra. Perhaps there is a bottleneck somewhere. Stuck on a
    >> satellite?

    > I can assure you satellites don't have enough storage to hold people's
    > emails.
    >
    > If your friend can post the mail headers (not the content of the message),
    > that could give us some clues as to where the holdup is. Here's a
    > (sanitized) example I dealt with recently:

    > by <customer's main gateway server> (Postfix) with ESMTP id DAE3A60344C
    > for <_zealand>; Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:39:24 +1300
    > (NZDT)
    >
    > Notice the two-and-a-half-hour difference between the times on the two
    > lines? That shows that the main gateway server held on to the message for
    > that long before passing it on to my ISP's server.
    >
    > This is the kind of information we can deduce from examining the headers.

    Thank you, but she knows even less about computers than I do, using hers
    mainly to play games.
    Also one or other of us would be in Summer Time.

    Would my sent time and her received time be any use, without the technical
    stuff?

    Geopelia, Nov 19, 2009
  14. Re: emails to UK getting held up?

    In message <he3866$av9$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> If your friend can post the mail headers (not the content of the
    >> message), that could give us some clues as to where the holdup is.

    > Thank you, but she knows even less about computers than I do ...

    All you have to do is find a menu item called something like “View Sourceâ€
    or “View Headersâ€. This should show you a whole bunch of lines beginning
    with phrases like “Return-Path:†and “Received:â€, followed by the actual
    text of your message. It’s those header lines that I’d like to see,
    particularlyl the “Received:†lines, because those form a trail of
    breadcrumbs through all the servers that have relayed the message.

    (You can remove lines beginning “From:â€, “To:â€, “Reply-To:†or “Sender:â€,
    because those will contain actual e-mail addresses, which we don’t need, and
    which you will want to keep private.)

    > Also one or other of us would be in Summer Time.

    Shouldn’t really matter, because all the servers will include their offset
    from UTC in the timestamp.

    > Would my sent time and her received time be any use, without the technical
    > stuff?

    That will tell us there’s a holdup, which we already know. What we’re trying
    to find out is where.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 19, 2009
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <he3866$av9$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    >>> If your friend can post the mail headers (not the content of the
    >>> message), that could give us some clues as to where the holdup is.

    >> Thank you, but she knows even less about computers than I do ...

    > All you have to do is find a menu item called something like "View Source"
    > or "View Headers". This should show you a whole bunch of lines beginning
    > with phrases like "Return-Path:" and "Received:", followed by the actual
    > text of your message. It's those header lines that I'd like to see,
    > particularlyl the "Received:" lines, because those form a trail of
    > breadcrumbs through all the servers that have relayed the message.
    >
    > (You can remove lines beginning "From:", "To:", "Reply-To:" or "Sender:",
    > because those will contain actual e-mail addresses, which we don't need,
    > and
    > which you will want to keep private.)
    >
    >> Also one or other of us would be in Summer Time.

    > Shouldn't really matter, because all the servers will include their offset
    > from UTC in the timestamp.
    >
    >> Would my sent time and her received time be any use, without the
    >> technical
    >> stuff?

    > That will tell us there's a holdup, which we already know. What we're
    > trying
    > to find out is where.

    I've hunted through all the menus, including the index in the Help menu, and
    can't find anything. XP.
    Where else could I look please?

    We think the problem has solved itself now. The last emails got through.

    Geopelia, Nov 19, 2009
  16. Re: emails to UK getting held up?

    In message <he4c29$d7n$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> All you have to do is find a menu item called something like "View
    >> Source" or "View Headers".

    > I've hunted through all the menus, including the index in the Help menu,
    > and can't find anything. XP.
    > Where else could I look please?

    I’m pretty sure I saw something like this the last time I had to help
    someone with Outlook Express on Windows. Might be in a menu called “Toolsâ€,
    I think.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 19, 2009
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <he4c29$d7n$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    >>> All you have to do is find a menu item called something like "View
    >>> Source" or "View Headers".

    >> I've hunted through all the menus, including the index in the Help menu,
    >> and can't find anything. XP.
    >> Where else could I look please?

    > I'm pretty sure I saw something like this the last time I had to help
    > someone with Outlook Express on Windows. Might be in a menu called "Tools",
    > I think.

    There's nothing in my Tools menu about Headers or Source.
    I also found a tools menu in Windows Help and Support Centre XP, but nothing
    in the menu about that email problem, or Headers or Source.

    I wonder if Trend Micro could have held them up. It shouldn't be stopping
    any emails that aren't offensive or political.

    But the emails seem to be going through all right this morning. I think it
    might have been something her end, but it's odd that the emails weren't in
    my Sent items.

    Maybe I should leave well alone and hope it doesn't happen again.

    Geopelia, Nov 20, 2009
  18. Re: emails to UK getting held up?

    Perhaps this <http://www.wurd.com/cl_email_msie_headers.php> will help.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2009
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <he4teh$p1d$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    >>> I'm pretty sure I saw something like this the last time I had to help
    >>> someone with Outlook Express on Windows. Might be in a menu called
    >>> "Tools", I think.

    >> There's nothing in my Tools menu about Headers or Source.

    > Perhaps this <http://www.wurd.com/cl_email_msie_headers.php> will help.

    Thank you. There isn't a Properties in my File menu, but the second method
    worked.
    (Right click message header, select Properties, click details tab.)

    I tried that with a message that did go through, and got a lot of technical
    stuff, and how to send it.

    Unfortunately the messages that were held up for some days didn't get into
    my Sent items, so I'm none the wiser about them.
    But I will keep that website in case we get any more trouble.

    Thanks for your help.
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 20, 2009
  20. Re: emails to UK getting held up?

    In message <he5u53$gju$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> Perhaps this <http://www.wurd.com/cl_email_msie_headers.php> will help.

    > I tried that with a message that did go through, and got a lot of
    > technical stuff, and how to send it.
    >
    > Unfortunately the messages that were held up for some days didn't get into
    > my Sent items, so I'm none the wiser about them.

    It really needs to be done by the person receiving the message, because they
    will get the header lines added by the intervening mail transfer agents
    (MTAs). The timestamps on those lines should reveal where the holdup is.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2009