    What is the website please?

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 29, 2009

  2. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    news:heumss$jn3$-september.org...
    > Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov.
    > The ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
    > Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
    >
    > XP, yahoo xtra.
    >
    > Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?
    >
    > There used to be a place at xtra where emails could be checked (usually
    > full of spam).
    > Is there one now?
    > What is the website please?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    An email (from New Zealand) has just arrived, also a testing one I sent. So
    it looks as if only the 29th ones are missing.

    Geopelia, Nov 29, 2009

  3. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov. The
    > ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
    > Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
    >
    > XP, yahoo xtra.
    >
    > Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?

    Hi Geo

    As has been suggested pretty much every time you have email problems,
    Xtra's email service is unreliable and the source of many problems both
    for you and their other clients. You should get an email address with a
    non-ISP provider (eg Gmail) and use that instead.

    EMB, Nov 29, 2009
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:heup0d$pio$...
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov.
    >> The ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
    >> Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
    >>
    >> XP, yahoo xtra.
    >>
    >> Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?

    > Hi Geo
    >
    > As has been suggested pretty much every time you have email problems,
    > Xtra's email service is unreliable and the source of many problems both
    > for you and their other clients. You should get an email address with a
    > non-ISP provider (eg Gmail) and use that instead.

    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. But most of the time xtra seems to work
    well.
    I've just had an email, so perhaps the others will arrive soon.

    Geopelia, Nov 29, 2009
  5. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:36:20 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >"EMB" <> wrote in message news:heup0d$pio$...
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov.
    >>> The ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
    >>> Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
    >>>
    >>> XP, yahoo xtra.
    >>>
    >>> Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?

    >> Hi Geo
    >>
    >> As has been suggested pretty much every time you have email problems,
    >> Xtra's email service is unreliable and the source of many problems both
    >> for you and their other clients. You should get an email address with a
    >> non-ISP provider (eg Gmail) and use that instead.

    >Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. But most of the time xtra seems to work
    >well.
    >I've just had an email, so perhaps the others will arrive soon.

    "Most of the time" just isn't good enough for me because I need an
    email service that is efficient and reliable.

    So after experiencing major problems with Xtra's abysmal, inconsistent
    and unreliable Yahoo-Bubble service I signed up with an independent
    email service (Fastmail.net). I now have ALL my of email routed
    through Fastmail and have just signed up for a special three year
    discount deal because I have had nothing but perfect service from
    them. But I still use Xtra as my ISP for the time being.

    http://www.fastmail.net

    Donchano, Nov 29, 2009
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    > On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:36:20 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Hi Geo
    >>>
    >>> As has been suggested pretty much every time you have email problems,
    >>> Xtra's email service is unreliable and the source of many problems both
    >>> for you and their other clients. You should get an email address with a
    >>> non-ISP provider (eg Gmail) and use that instead.

    >>Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. But most of the time xtra seems to work
    >>well.
    >>I've just had an email, so perhaps the others will arrive soon.

    > "Most of the time" just isn't good enough for me because I need an
    > email service that is efficient and reliable.
    >
    > So after experiencing major problems with Xtra's abysmal, inconsistent
    > and unreliable Yahoo-Bubble service I signed up with an independent
    > email service (Fastmail.net). I now have ALL my of email routed
    > through Fastmail and have just signed up for a special three year
    > discount deal because I have had nothing but perfect service from
    > them. But I still use Xtra as my ISP for the time being.
    >
    > http://www.fastmail.net

    If I change over there are so many people who would have to be told my new
    email address. I would have to run the two for a while.
    I seem to have POP 3 as well as xtra yahoo now. I'll keep fastmail in mind.

    I think yahoo is the problem. xtra on its own used to be good.

    Geopelia, Nov 29, 2009
  7. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <heumss$jn3$-september.org>,
    says...

    > Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov. The
    > ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
    > Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
    >
    > XP, yahoo xtra.
    >
    > Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?
    >
    > There used to be a place at xtra where emails could be checked (usually full
    > of spam).
    > Is there one now?
    > What is the website please?

    1.
    Best thing you can do is ditch crappy Xtra!

    ..2
    Other thing you can do is phone them - good luck!

    3.
    Webmail is at:
    http://www.xtramail.co.nz

    If you can logon and see email there - then the problem is with their
    outbound email server - see suggestion #1 :)

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Nov 29, 2009
  8. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:41:46 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >"Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:36:20 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>>Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. But most of the time xtra seems to work
    >>>well.
    >>>I've just had an email, so perhaps the others will arrive soon.

    >> "Most of the time" just isn't good enough for me because I need an
    >> email service that is efficient and reliable.
    >>
    >> So after experiencing major problems with Xtra's abysmal, inconsistent
    >> and unreliable Yahoo-Bubble service I signed up with an independent
    >> email service (Fastmail.net). I now have ALL my of email routed
    >> through Fastmail and have just signed up for a special three year
    >> discount deal because I have had nothing but perfect service from
    >> them. But I still use Xtra as my ISP for the time being.
    >>
    >> http://www.fastmail.net

    >If I change over there are so many people who would have to be told my new
    >email address. I would have to run the two for a while.
    >I seem to have POP 3 as well as xtra yahoo now. I'll keep fastmail in mind.

    Unless you drop Xtra altogether (they seem to be OK as an ISP) you
    won't have to change your email address at all. You simply set up your
    Xtra-Yahoo mail to be forwarded to your Fastmail account.

    In fact I not have anything sent to my Xtra email addresses routed to
    my Fastmail account, the same goes for Gmail and mail addressed to my
    domain addresses.

    >I think yahoo is the problem. xtra on its own used to be good.

    After Xtra cheapened its service by hooking up with Yahoo my emails -
    many of them important and time sensitive - dried up almost entirely.
    After reading this ng I discovered the same was happening to other
    Xtra customers and someone suggested checking my account online (eg:
    webmail). I found something like 700 legitimate emails filed in the
    spam folder and had to manually mark each as non-spam.

    There were also instances when email sent by me from my Xtra account
    were either delayed by several days or disappeared into the ether
    entirely.

    No one at Xtra (or whoever runs their so-called telephone support)
    could tell my how this had happened or how to make sure it didn't
    happen again. But someone here suggested that I import my address book
    to the Yahoo account.

    That helped with the emails I got from people in my address book but
    did nothing to stop other legitimate emails from being classified as
    spam. So I had to check my webmail account several times a day to make
    sure and manually mark them as non-spam and move them to my inbox.

    Again - nobody from Xtra support could tell me how to configure Yahoo
    to be less rigorous in their filtering because Yahoo is a law unto
    itself. So I dumped Xtra-Yahoo and switched to Fastmail.

    What pisses me off as much as anything else is that Xtra has the cheek
    to claim that Yahoo-bubble is an improvement on their previous email
    service. When, in fact, it was just a cost cutting exercise at the
    customer's expense. They're the Air New Zealand of telecommunications
    - and believe me, that is NOT a complement.

    Donchano, Nov 30, 2009
  9. In message <hev0s2$5j1$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    > If I change over there are so many people who would have to be told my new
    > email address.

    This is why you need your own domain name. Then you just take it with you
    when you change ISPs, and nobody need be any the wiser.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 30, 2009
  10. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hev0s2$5j1$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> If I change over there are so many people who would have to be told my new
    >> email address.

    > This is why you need your own domain name. Then you just take it with you
    > when you change ISPs, and nobody need be any the wiser.

    A gmail account will do everything Geo wants and it will cost her
    nothing - there is no need to make her life overly expensive and
    complicated by even mentioning a domain.

    EMB, Nov 30, 2009
  11. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-11-29, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov.
    >> The ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
    >> Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
    >>
    >> XP, yahoo xtra.
    >>
    >> Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?
    >>
    >> There used to be a place at xtra where emails could be checked (usually
    >> full of spam).
    >> Is there one now?
    >> What is the website please?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > An email (from New Zealand) has just arrived, also a testing one I sent. So
    > it looks as if only the 29th ones are missing.

    There we go, things are starting to work. I seem to remember that you had a
    similar problem a wee while ago. e-mails to/from UK not getting through in a
    reasonable time.

    It will happen again. It does annoy you otherwise you not be posting here.
    ;-)

    Gordon, Nov 30, 2009
  12. Geopelia

    Cima Guest

    On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:12:21 +1300, Donchano <>
    wrote:

    >Unless you drop Xtra altogether (they seem to be OK as an ISP) you
    >won't have to change your email address at all. You simply set up your
    >Xtra-Yahoo mail to be forwarded to your Fastmail account.

    If Xtra-Yahoo flakes, the messages won't get to Fastmail any quicker.

    Cima, Nov 30, 2009
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:hevghg$n2r$...
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <hev0s2$5j1$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I change over there are so many people who would have to be told my
    >>> new
    >>> email address.

    >> This is why you need your own domain name. Then you just take it with you
    >> when you change ISPs, and nobody need be any the wiser.

    > A gmail account will do everything Geo wants and it will cost her
    > nothing - there is no need to make her life overly expensive and
    > complicated by even mentioning a domain.

    I've got gmail but every time I sign in they want me to fill in a form and
    change from google to gmail etc.
    I've also got yahoo and Hotmail, but there is never much there except
    messages from the people who run them.
    So I don't worry about anything but xtra just now.

    Geopelia, Nov 30, 2009
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > to the Yahoo account.
    >
    > That helped with the emails I got from people in my address book but
    > did nothing to stop other legitimate emails from being classified as
    > spam. So I had to check my webmail account several times a day to make
    > sure and manually mark them as non-spam and move them to my inbox.
    >
    > Again - nobody from Xtra support could tell me how to configure Yahoo
    > to be less rigorous in their filtering because Yahoo is a law unto
    > itself. So I dumped Xtra-Yahoo and switched to Fastmail.
    >
    > What pisses me off as much as anything else is that Xtra has the cheek
    > to claim that Yahoo-bubble is an improvement on their previous email
    > service. When, in fact, it was just a cost cutting exercise at the
    > customer's expense. They're the Air New Zealand of telecommunications
    > - and believe me, that is NOT a complement.

    An "orchestrated litany of lies"? It seems a very unorchestrated litany of
    muddle to me, if I ever phone them.

    I've checked the webmail but there were only six messages there, and none
    were from xtra.

    I'm saving all these messages in case I have to change over.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 30, 2009
  15. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:08:34 +1300, Cima <> shouted from the
    highest rooftop:

    >On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:12:21 +1300, Donchano <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Unless you drop Xtra altogether (they seem to be OK as an ISP) you
    >>won't have to change your email address at all. You simply set up your
    >>Xtra-Yahoo mail to be forwarded to your Fastmail account.

    >If Xtra-Yahoo flakes, the messages won't get to Fastmail any quicker.

    Good point. Thankfully, that's not a problem for me because I've been
    using my domain addresses for personal/professional communications and
    Gmail addresses for technical/newsletter/throwaway addresses for
    years. Come to think of it, the only email that uses my Xtra e-addies
    is from Xtra and the spammers that have hacked their system.

    Donchano, Nov 30, 2009