emailing picture.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    Pictures".
    I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know how
    they got there.
    Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't in
    any "topic" instructions there.
    With my old computer I could do that, as they just appeared in My Birds,
    which was in My Pictures.
    Do I need to put them into something else first?
    Can I get them back into "My Pictures"?

    Everything seems different on this new computer. They have gone from My
    Pictures and I have to hunt about in Favourites.
    Is there somewhere else they might be?

    Is this a job for the computer man, or could I manage to do it? I don't want
    to make a mistake and lose them.
    It might be best to copy them from where they are, so copies are also in
    another place.

    XP, Outlook Express, Favourites. Dell computer.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    geopelia, Jan 15, 2014

  2. geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in

    > I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know
    > how they got there.

    Can you view the "properties" of the file when you have it open in the
    viewer. That might give you the "path" to the file.
    It is pretty easy to accidently click and push a folder into another folder
    so the "My Birds" folder could have gone up or down a level?

    You could also search for the filename of one of the bird pictures and it
    should show you the "path" that way too.

    I hope that helps a little.

    ---
    Dave Taylor, Jan 15, 2014

  3. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2014-01-15, geopelia <> wrote:
    > I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    > Pictures".
    > I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know how
    > they got there.

    They could still be in "My Birds", the "windows picture and fax viewer" is
    just a programme to view photos.

    > Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't in
    > any "topic" instructions there.
    > With my old computer I could do that, as they just appeared in My Birds,
    > which was in My Pictures.
    > Do I need to put them into something else first?
    > Can I get them back into "My Pictures"?
    >
    > Everything seems different on this new computer. They have gone from My
    > Pictures and I have to hunt about in Favourites.
    > Is there somewhere else they might be?
    >
    > Is this a job for the computer man, or could I manage to do it? I don't want
    > to make a mistake and lose them.
    > It might be best to copy them from where they are, so copies are also in
    > another place.

    No might about it Geo. One should have at least three copies of ones
    important data (files). But one backup is way, way better than nothing.
    There are two types of computer users, one who will need to use a back up
    and the others who have been so delighted they had one.

    Backs ups have no value until they are needed, then their value skyrockets.

    Get an external USB hard drive and back up to that, at the very least.

    Gordon, Jan 15, 2014
  4. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 15/01/14 15:54, geopelia wrote:
    > I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    > Pictures".
    > I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know how
    > they got there.
    > Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't in
    > any "topic" instructions there.
    > With my old computer I could do that, as they just appeared in My Birds,
    > which was in My Pictures.
    > Do I need to put them into something else first?
    > Can I get them back into "My Pictures"?

    Geo, it is likely that they are still in the original folder and that
    what you see in "windows picture and fax viewer" is merely a link in the
    "windows picture and fax viewer" application.

    > Everything seems different on this new computer. They have gone from My
    > Pictures and I have to hunt about in Favourites.
    > Is there somewhere else they might be?
    >
    > Is this a job for the computer man, or could I manage to do it? I don't want
    > to make a mistake and lose them.

    If you have the computer man over, you could ask him, certainly. It is
    unlikely that you will totally lose the pictures since you would have to
    confirm any delete. However as you have found, you might not easily find
    them. But they will be there. Nevertheless you are right to be careful.

    > It might be best to copy them from where they are, so copies are also in
    > another place.
    >
    > XP, Outlook Express, Favourites. Dell computer.

    If you right-click the picture it may give you a menu, with an option to
    email. If you have only a few pictures to email you could send them in
    separate emails.

    Alternatively, you could locate the pictures, hold down Ctrl and click
    the pictures that you want to send and then release the Ctrl and right
    click any one of them. If the drop down menu allows you to email them
    they will all be attached to your email.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jan 15, 2014
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2014-01-15, geopelia <> wrote:
    >> I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    >> Pictures".
    >> I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know
    >> how
    >> they got there.

    > They could still be in "My Birds", the "windows picture and fax viewer" is
    > just a programme to view photos.
    >
    >> Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't
    >> in
    >> any "topic" instructions there.
    >> With my old computer I could do that, as they just appeared in My Birds,
    >> which was in My Pictures.
    >> Do I need to put them into something else first?
    >> Can I get them back into "My Pictures"?
    >>
    >> Everything seems different on this new computer. They have gone from My
    >> Pictures and I have to hunt about in Favourites.
    >> Is there somewhere else they might be?
    >>
    >> Is this a job for the computer man, or could I manage to do it? I don't
    >> want
    >> to make a mistake and lose them.
    >> It might be best to copy them from where they are, so copies are also in
    >> another place.

    > No might about it Geo. One should have at least three copies of ones
    > important data (files). But one backup is way, way better than nothing.
    > There are two types of computer users, one who will need to use a back up
    > and the others who have been so delighted they had one.
    >
    > Backs ups have no value until they are needed, then their value
    > skyrockets.
    >
    > Get an external USB hard drive and back up to that, at the very least.

    The computer man connected a small box thing which he said was back up.
    Would that be what it was? It's supposed to back everything up.
    I'll have to ask him how to get in to it.
    geopelia, Jan 15, 2014
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 15/01/14 15:54, geopelia wrote:
    >> I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    >> Pictures".
    >> I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know
    >> how
    >> they got there.
    >> Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't
    >> in
    >> any "topic" instructions there.
    >> With my old computer I could do that, as they just appeared in My Birds,
    >> which was in My Pictures.
    >> Do I need to put them into something else first?
    >> Can I get them back into "My Pictures"?
    >>

    > Geo, it is likely that they are still in the original folder and that what
    > you see in "windows picture and fax viewer" is merely a link in the
    > "windows picture and fax viewer" application.
    >

    >> Everything seems different on this new computer. They have gone from My
    >> Pictures and I have to hunt about in Favourites.
    >> Is there somewhere else they might be?
    >>
    >> Is this a job for the computer man, or could I manage to do it? I don't
    >> want
    >> to make a mistake and lose them.
    > >

    > If you have the computer man over, you could ask him, certainly. It is
    > unlikely that you will totally lose the pictures since you would have to
    > confirm any delete. However as you have found, you might not easily find
    > them. But they will be there. Nevertheless you are right to be careful.
    > >
    >> It might be best to copy them from where they are, so copies are also in
    >> another place.
    >>
    >> XP, Outlook Express, Favourites. Dell computer.
    >>

    > If you right-click the picture it may give you a menu, with an option to
    > email. If you have only a few pictures to email you could send them in
    > separate emails.
    >
    > Alternatively, you could locate the pictures, hold down Ctrl and click the
    > pictures that you want to send and then release the Ctrl and right click
    > any one of them. If the drop down menu allows you to email them they will
    > all be attached to your email.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thank you, I'll try that. If it works I'll email them to myself and file
    them where I want them.
    Geopelia
    geopelia, Jan 15, 2014
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know
    >> how they got there.

    > Can you view the "properties" of the file when you have it open in the
    > viewer. That might give you the "path" to the file.
    > It is pretty easy to accidently click and push a folder into another
    > folder
    > so the "My Birds" folder could have gone up or down a level?
    >
    > You could also search for the filename of one of the bird pictures and it
    > should show you the "path" that way too.
    >
    > I hope that helps a little.

    Thank you. I don't understand paths, but if something comes up I might be
    able to work it out.
    geopelia, Jan 15, 2014
  8. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <lb4t8d$7st$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    > Pictures".
    > I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know how
    > they got there.
    > Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't in
    > any "topic" instructions there.
    > With my old computer I could do that, as they just appeared in My Birds,
    > which was in My Pictures.
    > Do I need to put them into something else first?
    > Can I get them back into "My Pictures"?
    >
    > Everything seems different on this new computer. They have gone from My
    > Pictures and I have to hunt about in Favourites.
    > Is there somewhere else they might be?
    >
    > Is this a job for the computer man, or could I manage to do it? I don't want
    > to make a mistake and lose them.
    > It might be best to copy them from where they are, so copies are also in
    > another place.
    >
    > XP, Outlook Express, Favourites. Dell computer.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    On top of the other suggestions, I'd add that you might like to give
    Google's Picasa a go. It does a great job of searching your PC for all
    the pictures and videos - keeps them in an easy to see order, and has
    easy to use functionality to send out via e-mail.

    http://picasa.google.com

    Should you download and install, be careful of the installation wizard -
    ensure that the checkboxes (to install Google Chrome and make it default
    browser, etc), are the options you want. Otherwise, untick them. In
    short, just read each screen carefully as you "next", "next", "next"
    your way through the intstaller wizard to ensure you get the install you
    want (and not what Google wants! :) ).

    Picasa is a great wee free 'pictures and video' indexer/viewer and more.
    It's built in editing functions are simple and easy to use (colour and
    contrast adjustments), straightening (leveling) a picture is a cinch,
    cropping, red-eye removal, etc.

    For 'finding' a photo - ie opening it's location in a 'My Computer'
    window, you can simple right-click a picture in Picasa and choose the
    "Locate on Disk" function and it'll open up a 'My Computer' window at
    that location, with the file selected/highlighted.

    Oh, and over time it will use it's face recognition technology to build
    up groups of faces it sees as the same, which you can, if you want,
    name.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 15, 2014
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <lb4t8d$7st$>, , geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    >> Pictures".
    >> I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know
    >> how
    >> they got there.
    >> Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't
    >> in
    >> any "topic" instructions there.
    >> With my old computer I could do that, as they just appeared in My Birds,
    >> which was in My Pictures.
    >> Do I need to put them into something else first?
    >> Can I get them back into "My Pictures"?
    >>
    >> Everything seems different on this new computer. They have gone from My
    >> Pictures and I have to hunt about in Favourites.
    >> Is there somewhere else they might be?
    >>
    >> Is this a job for the computer man, or could I manage to do it? I don't
    >> want
    >> to make a mistake and lose them.
    >> It might be best to copy them from where they are, so copies are also in
    >> another place.
    >>
    >> XP, Outlook Express, Favourites. Dell computer.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > On top of the other suggestions, I'd add that you might like to give
    > Google's Picasa a go. It does a great job of searching your PC for all
    > the pictures and videos - keeps them in an easy to see order, and has
    > easy to use functionality to send out via e-mail.
    >
    > http://picasa.google.com
    >
    > Should you download and install, be careful of the installation wizard -
    > ensure that the checkboxes (to install Google Chrome and make it default
    > browser, etc), are the options you want. Otherwise, untick them. In
    > short, just read each screen carefully as you "next", "next", "next"
    > your way through the intstaller wizard to ensure you get the install you
    > want (and not what Google wants! :) ).
    >
    > Picasa is a great wee free 'pictures and video' indexer/viewer and more.
    > It's built in editing functions are simple and easy to use (colour and
    > contrast adjustments), straightening (leveling) a picture is a cinch,
    > cropping, red-eye removal, etc.
    >
    > For 'finding' a photo - ie opening it's location in a 'My Computer'
    > window, you can simple right-click a picture in Picasa and choose the
    > "Locate on Disk" function and it'll open up a 'My Computer' window at
    > that location, with the file selected/highlighted.
    >
    > Oh, and over time it will use it's face recognition technology to build
    > up groups of faces it sees as the same, which you can, if you want,
    > name.

    Thank you, but that is much too advanced for me to try.
    I could ask the computer man to do it. I'll save your instructions.
    Your help is appreciated.
    geopelia, Jan 15, 2014
  10. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > On 15/01/2014 3:54 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    >> I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    >> Pictures".
    >> I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know
    >> how
    >> they got there.

    > No. They are still where the were. Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is the
    > program associated with the filetype to view them.In Win 7 Windows
    >

    >> Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't
    >> in
    >> any "topic" instructions there.

    > In Win7 Windows Photo Viewer EMAIL is an option on the toolsbar at the
    > top. Alternatively File|Send To ...
    >
    > Or manually drag/drop them from the folder onto the email. Nothing there
    > has changed.
    >
    > geoff

    I've still got XP. I changed to a new computer and everything was supposed
    to go from one to the other, but my Favourites are all mixed up on this new
    one.
    My Birds used to be a folder in My Pictures, but it has gone from there.
    Any idea where it might be and what it would be called now?
    geopelia, Jan 15, 2014
  11. geopelia

    nospam Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 08:17:40 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >On top of the other suggestions, I'd add that you might like to give
    >Google's Picasa a go. It does a great job of searching your PC for all
    >the pictures and videos - keeps them in an easy to see order, and has
    >easy to use functionality to send out via e-mail.
    >
    >http://picasa.google.com

    What's the difference between Picassa and google+ photos ??????????

    http://googlesystem.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/picasa-web-albums-redirects-to-google.html
    nospam, Jan 15, 2014
  12. geopelia

    nospam Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:37:22 +1300, "geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >Thank you, but that is much too advanced for me to try.
    >I could ask the computer man to do it. I'll save your instructions.
    >Your help is appreciated.

    Install TeamViewer and skype and get someone you trust to help you
    with it remotely instead of paying $100 an hour to a computer man.
    nospam, Jan 15, 2014
  13. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <lb6vc1$59q$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > > On 15/01/2014 3:54 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    > >> I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    > >> Pictures".
    > >> I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know
    > >> how
    > >> they got there.

    > > No. They are still where the were. Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is the
    > > program associated with the filetype to view them.In Win 7 Windows
    > >

    > >> Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't
    > >> in
    > >> any "topic" instructions there.

    > > In Win7 Windows Photo Viewer EMAIL is an option on the toolsbar at the
    > > top. Alternatively File|Send To ...
    > >
    > > Or manually drag/drop them from the folder onto the email. Nothing there
    > > has changed.
    > >
    > > geoff

    > I've still got XP. I changed to a new computer and everything was supposed
    > to go from one to the other, but my Favourites are all mixed up on this new
    > one.
    > My Birds used to be a folder in My Pictures, but it has gone from there.
    > Any idea where it might be and what it would be called now?

    With all due respect, no-one here, AFAIK, can mind-read. :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 16, 2014
  14. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , nospam says...

    > On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:37:22 +1300, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Thank you, but that is much too advanced for me to try.
    > >I could ask the computer man to do it. I'll save your instructions.
    > >Your help is appreciated.
    > >

    > Install TeamViewer and skype and get someone you trust to help you
    > with it remotely instead of paying $100 an hour to a computer man.

    I think the 'computer man' does that - info spotted in a way earlier
    post.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 16, 2014
  15. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <lb6v2c$3ff$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <lb4t8d$7st$>, , geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> I can see my pictures that used to be in "My Birds" which was in "My
    > >> Pictures".
    > >> I've found them now on "windows picture and fax viewer". I don't know
    > >> how
    > >> they got there.
    > >> Where are the instructions for putting them into email please? It isn't
    > >> in
    > >> any "topic" instructions there.
    > >> With my old computer I could do that, as they just appeared in My Birds,
    > >> which was in My Pictures.
    > >> Do I need to put them into something else first?
    > >> Can I get them back into "My Pictures"?
    > >>
    > >> Everything seems different on this new computer. They have gone from My
    > >> Pictures and I have to hunt about in Favourites.
    > >> Is there somewhere else they might be?
    > >>
    > >> Is this a job for the computer man, or could I manage to do it? I don't
    > >> want
    > >> to make a mistake and lose them.
    > >> It might be best to copy them from where they are, so copies are also in
    > >> another place.
    > >>
    > >> XP, Outlook Express, Favourites. Dell computer.
    > >>
    > >> Thank you
    > >> Geopelia

    > > On top of the other suggestions, I'd add that you might like to give
    > > Google's Picasa a go. It does a great job of searching your PC for all
    > > the pictures and videos - keeps them in an easy to see order, and has
    > > easy to use functionality to send out via e-mail.
    > >
    > > http://picasa.google.com
    > >
    > > Should you download and install, be careful of the installation wizard -
    > > ensure that the checkboxes (to install Google Chrome and make it default
    > > browser, etc), are the options you want. Otherwise, untick them. In
    > > short, just read each screen carefully as you "next", "next", "next"
    > > your way through the intstaller wizard to ensure you get the install you
    > > want (and not what Google wants! :) ).
    > >
    > > Picasa is a great wee free 'pictures and video' indexer/viewer and more.
    > > It's built in editing functions are simple and easy to use (colour and
    > > contrast adjustments), straightening (leveling) a picture is a cinch,
    > > cropping, red-eye removal, etc.
    > >
    > > For 'finding' a photo - ie opening it's location in a 'My Computer'
    > > window, you can simple right-click a picture in Picasa and choose the
    > > "Locate on Disk" function and it'll open up a 'My Computer' window at
    > > that location, with the file selected/highlighted.
    > >
    > > Oh, and over time it will use it's face recognition technology to build
    > > up groups of faces it sees as the same, which you can, if you want,
    > > name.
    > >

    > Thank you, but that is much too advanced for me to try.
    > I could ask the computer man to do it. I'll save your instructions.
    > Your help is appreciated.

    It's not too advanced at all. It's a very easy to drive program
    specialising in pictures and video. Give it a go - download it, and
    install it. You can always remove it (uninstall it) if you don't like
    it.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 16, 2014
  16. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , nospam says...

    > On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 08:17:40 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >

    > >On top of the other suggestions, I'd add that you might like to give
    > >Google's Picasa a go. It does a great job of searching your PC for all
    > >the pictures and videos - keeps them in an easy to see order, and has
    > >easy to use functionality to send out via e-mail.
    > >
    > >http://picasa.google.com
    > >

    > What's the difference between Picassa and google+ photos ??????????
    >
    > http://googlesystem.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/picasa-web-albums-redirects-to-google.html

    Dunno, I haven't logged onto that within Picasa for quite some time now
    - six months or so. Probably good for Geo though, but maybe a bit
    advanced. I just like the abilitiy to share out a web album, or even
    just one picture, and only enail a link. Being in IT support, I
    actively discourage users to use e-mail as a fuckin' file transfer
    system! :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 16, 2014
  17. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:37:22 +1300, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Thank you, but that is much too advanced for me to try.
    >>I could ask the computer man to do it. I'll save your instructions.
    >>Your help is appreciated.
    >>

    > Install TeamViewer and skype and get someone you trust to help you
    > with it remotely instead of paying $100 an hour to a computer man.

    The computer man can do it remotely.
    geopelia, Jan 16, 2014
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > On 16/01/2014 10:42 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> I've still got XP. I changed to a new computer and everything was
    >> supposed
    >> to go from one to the other, but my Favourites are all mixed up on this
    >> new
    >> one.
    >> My Birds used to be a folder in My Pictures, but it has gone from
    >> there.
    >> Any idea where it might be and what it would be called now?
    >>

    > If not where it originally was you'll need to ask the computer man where
    > he put them !
    >
    > geoff

    I think he just transferred the whole thing. It all seems to be mixed up.
    It might have been a different technician who did it.
    geopelia, Jan 16, 2014
  19. geopelia

    victor Guest

    On 16/01/2014 6:09 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    > "nospam" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:37:22 +1300, "geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Thank you, but that is much too advanced for me to try.
    >>> I could ask the computer man to do it. I'll save your instructions.
    >>> Your help is appreciated.
    >>>

    >> Install TeamViewer and skype and get someone you trust to help you
    >> with it remotely instead of paying $100 an hour to a computer man.

    > The computer man can do it remotely.

    Ask him to make a desktop shortcut to your My Birds folder.
    victor, Jan 16, 2014
  20. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "victor" <> wrote in message
    > On 16/01/2014 6:09 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    >> "nospam" <> wrote in message

    >>> Install TeamViewer and skype and get someone you trust to help you
    >>> with it remotely instead of paying $100 an hour to a computer man.

    >> The computer man can do it remotely.
    >>

    > Ask him to make a desktop shortcut to your My Birds folder.

    Yes, that should find it, wherever it has gone. It's supposed to be in My
    Pictures.
    geopelia, Jan 16, 2014