    clarity)?
    Thanks!
    GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)
    GoFlatty, Oct 14, 2007

  2. GoFlatty

    H.S. Guest

    GoFlatty wrote:
    > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > clarity)?
    > Thanks!
    > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    If you are using Windows, try Irfan viewer:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    It can resize digital pics in a batch mode too (you don't have to resize
    each image one by one), i.e. if you want to convert a selected set of
    images to a smaller size (you can specify the size, in pixels or %),
    select the image files, set the size you want and let the operation
    proceed. All the images will be converted to the new size and saved in a
    directory of your choosing. You may even set the output quality.

    If you are using Linux, there are many method to do this in a batch
    mode. The easiest is the 'convert' command. Ask if you want details
    about this.

    Not sure about Mac OSX though.

    ->HS
    H.S., Oct 14, 2007

  3. GoFlatty

    Bob Williams Guest

    GoFlatty wrote:
    > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > clarity)?
    > Thanks!
    > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    If you are using Win Xp, you can RIGHT click on the image.
    A menu will appear.....Click on <Send To>
    Another menu will appear.....Select <Mail Recipient>
    Win Xp will ask you if you want to reduce the size of the image.
    Check the YES box.
    Your Mail Program will open with the image attached and resized.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Oct 14, 2007
  4. "GoFlatty" <> wrote in message
    > Is there an easy way for me to make the file smaller
    > (without reducing clarity)?

    Although not without losing something... I use this:
    http://www.djuga.net/retriever.html.
    Blueyonder News, Oct 14, 2007
  5. GoFlatty

    Pete Guest

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 05:26:32 -0000, GoFlatty wrote:

    > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > clarity)?
    > Thanks!
    > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    JpegSizer makes it really easy to do this. It has predefined settings for
    email attachments, and a built-in emailer. Free trial available here:

    http://www.tangotools.com/jpegsizer

    Hope this helps

    Pete
    Pete, Oct 14, 2007
  6. GoFlatty

    AnthonyL Guest

    wrote:

    >Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    >I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    >and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    >email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    >importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    >there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    >clarity)?

    Others have offered ways of making the file smaller (Irfanview is what
    I use) but if you ever want to send large files ( so that your friends
    can also print out in good quality) consider going to
    www.yousendit.com

    Email adds 30% to the size of attachments which is avoided with
    yousendit. Also your friends can choose when they wish to download
    instead of it coming automatically when they check their emails.

    --
    AnthonyL
    AnthonyL, Oct 14, 2007
  7. GoFlatty

    Pat Guest

    On Oct 14, 2:33 am, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    > GoFlatty wrote:
    > > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > > clarity)?
    > > Thanks!
    > > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    > If you are using Win Xp, you can RIGHT click on the image.
    > A menu will appear.....Click on <Send To>
    > Another menu will appear.....Select <Mail Recipient>
    > Win Xp will ask you if you want to reduce the size of the image.
    > Check the YES box.
    > Your Mail Program will open with the image attached and resized.
    > Bob Williams

    Oh come on Bob, that's WAY to simple (and practical) of an answer. It
    doesn't require additional software to debate, there are no settings,
    and you don't need raw files to do it. Totally disappointing.

    BTW, Firefox does the same thing for all photo attachments.
    Pat, Oct 14, 2007
  8. GoFlatty

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 05:26:32 +0000, GoFlatty wrote:

    > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > clarity)?
    > Thanks!
    > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    Essentially - no. Anything you do to decrease size (assuming you're
    starting with something like a 'fine' detail jpeg) will degrade it. But -
    you can generally resave at a much higher compression without noticing any
    real difference.
    ray, Oct 14, 2007
  9. GoFlatty

    Bob S Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > GoFlatty wrote:
    >> Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    >> I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    >> and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    >> email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    >> importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    >> there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    >> clarity)?
    >> Thanks!
    >> GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)
    >>

    > If you are using Win Xp, you can RIGHT click on the image.
    > A menu will appear.....Click on <Send To>
    > Another menu will appear.....Select <Mail Recipient>
    > Win Xp will ask you if you want to reduce the size of the image.
    > Check the YES box.
    > Your Mail Program will open with the image attached and resized.
    > Bob Williams

    How did microsoft miss that? Sounds like something they would sell for
    $89.95
    Bob S, Oct 14, 2007
  10. GoFlatty

    GoFlatty Guest

    On Oct 14, 3:42 pm, "H.S." <> wrote:
    > GoFlatty wrote:
    > > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > > clarity)?
    > > Thanks!
    > > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    > If you are using Windows, try Irfan viewer:http://www.irfanview.com/
    >
    > It can resize digital pics in a batch mode too (you don't have to resize
    > each image one by one), i.e. if you want to convert a selected set of
    > images to a smaller size (you can specify the size, in pixels or %),
    > select the image files, set the size you want and let the operation
    > proceed. All the images will be converted to the new size and saved in a
    > directory of your choosing. You may even set the output quality.
    >
    > If you are using Linux, there are many method to do this in a batch
    > mode. The easiest is the 'convert' command. Ask if you want details
    > about this.
    >
    > Not sure about Mac OSX though.
    >
    > ->HS

    Thanks, HS!
    I've down-loaded Irfanview and will give it a go.
    Cheers!
    GoFlatty
    GoFlatty, Oct 15, 2007
  11. GoFlatty

    GoFlatty Guest

    On Oct 14, 4:33 pm, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    > GoFlatty wrote:
    > > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > > clarity)?
    > > Thanks!
    > > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    > If you are using Win Xp, you can RIGHT click on the image.
    > A menu will appear.....Click on <Send To>
    > Another menu will appear.....Select <Mail Recipient>
    > Win Xp will ask you if you want to reduce the size of the image.
    > Check the YES box.
    > Your Mail Program will open with the image attached and resized.
    > Bob Williams

    Hi, Bob!
    Hey! It's so simple - and it works...
    Great, mate!
    GoFlatty
    GoFlatty, Oct 15, 2007
  12. GoFlatty

    GoFlatty Guest

    On Oct 14, 9:08 pm, Pete <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 05:26:32 -0000, GoFlatty wrote:
    > > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > > clarity)?
    > > Thanks!
    > > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    > JpegSizer makes it really easy to do this. It has predefined settings for
    > emailattachments, and a built-in emailer. Free trial available here:
    >
    > http://www.tangotools.com/jpegsizer
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Pete

    Thanks, Pete!
    I appreciate your advice.
    Will check out the website.
    Cheers!
    GoFlatty
    GoFlatty, Oct 15, 2007
  13. GoFlatty

    GoFlatty Guest

    On Oct 14, 10:20 pm, (AnthonyL) wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 05:26:32 -0000, GoFlatty <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > >I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > >and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > >email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > >importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > >there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > >clarity)?

    > Others have offered ways of making the file smaller (Irfanview is what
    > I use) but if you ever want to send large files ( so that your friends
    > can also print out in good quality) consider going towww.yousendit.com
    >
    > Email adds 30% to the size ofattachmentswhich is avoided with
    > yousendit. Also your friends can choose when they wish to download
    > instead of it coming automatically when they check their emails.
    >
    > --
    > AnthonyL

    Thanks, AnthonyL.
    Obviously Irfanview is the way to go for regular stuff. But, will also
    check-out yousendit.
    Cheers!
    GoFlatty
    GoFlatty, Oct 15, 2007
  14. GoFlatty

    GoFlatty Guest

    On Oct 15, 12:20 am, Pat <> wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 2:33 am, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    >

    > > GoFlatty wrote:
    > > > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > > > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > > > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > > > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > > > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > > > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > > > clarity)?
    > > > Thanks!
    > > > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    > > If you are using Win Xp, you can RIGHT click on the image.
    > > A menu will appear.....Click on <Send To>
    > > Another menu will appear.....Select <Mail Recipient>
    > > Win Xp will ask you if you want to reduce the size of the image.
    > > Check the YES box.
    > > Your Mail Program will open with the image attached and resized.
    > > Bob Williams

    > Oh come on Bob, that's WAY to simple (and practical) of an answer. It
    > doesn't require additional software to debate, there are no settings,
    > and you don't need raw files to do it. Totally disappointing.
    >
    > BTW, Firefox does the same thing for all photoattachments.- Hide quoted text -

    Yes, Pat, Bob's solution is just so-o-o-o simple and uncomplicated.
    Hey! I wish all my problems were so easily solved...
    Cheers!
    GoFlatty
    GoFlatty, Oct 15, 2007
  15. GoFlatty

    GoFlatty Guest

    On Oct 15, 12:59 am, ray <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 05:26:32 +0000, GoFlatty wrote:
    > > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > > clarity)?
    > > Thanks!
    > > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    > Essentially - no. Anything you do to decrease size (assuming you're
    > starting with something like a 'fine' detail jpeg) will degrade it. But -
    > you can generally resave at a much higher compression without noticing any
    > real difference.

    Thanks, Ray!
    My concern was really for the bogging-down of my friends' email.
    I really have had some excellent feedback...
    Cheers!
    GoFlatty
    GoFlatty, Oct 15, 2007
  16. GoFlatty

    GoFlatty Guest

    On Oct 15, 3:13 am, Bob S <> wrote:
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    > > GoFlatty wrote:
    > >> Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > >> I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > >> and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > >> email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > >> importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > >> there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > >> clarity)?
    > >> Thanks!
    > >> GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    > > If you are using Win Xp, you can RIGHT click on the image.
    > > A menu will appear.....Click on <Send To>
    > > Another menu will appear.....Select <Mail Recipient>
    > > Win Xp will ask you if you want to reduce the size of the image.
    > > Check the YES box.
    > > Your Mail Program will open with the image attached and resized.
    > > Bob Williams

    > How did microsoft miss that? Sounds like something they would sell for

    Hey! Who said they missed it... Keep looking... It may turn up...
    Cheers!
    GoFlatty
    GoFlatty, Oct 15, 2007
  17. GoFlatty

    John Ortt Guest

    "GoFlatty" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks, Ray!
    > My concern was really for the bogging-down of my friends' email.
    > I really have had some excellent feedback...
    > Cheers!
    > GoFlatty

    Its great to hear someone who is happy with the responses from this
    newsgroup.

    Most of the time threads get hijacked by quarels such as the Canon vs Nikon
    or the P&S vs dSLR debate. Its nice to see someone who'd happy :)
    John Ortt, Oct 17, 2007
  18. GoFlatty

    John Turco Guest

    GoFlatty wrote:

    > On Oct 14, 10:20 pm, (AnthonyL) wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > > Others have offered ways of making the file smaller (Irfanview is what
    > > I use) but if you ever want to send large files ( so that your friends
    > > can also print out in good quality) consider going towww.yousendit.com
    > >
    > > Email adds 30% to the size ofattachmentswhich is avoided with
    > > yousendit. Also your friends can choose when they wish to download
    > > instead of it coming automatically when they check their emails.
    > >
    > > --
    > > AnthonyL

    > Thanks, AnthonyL.
    > Obviously Irfanview is the way to go for regular stuff. But, will also
    > check-out yousendit.
    > Cheers!
    > GoFlatty

    Hello, GoFlatty:

    "SendPhotos" (by Novatix <http://www.novatix.com>) is another
    such handy application.

    I rarely use it, though. That's because I normally "resize" my
    images, manually, in Paint Shop Pro 7, before attaching them.

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Oct 21, 2007
  19. GoFlatty

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    GoFlatty <> wrote:

    > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > clarity)?
    > Thanks!
    > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    You didn't say which OS and email software you use, so its hard to offer
    specific suggestions. I use the Mail program that comes with Mac OS X
    and it has a feature to shrink the size of photo images, built right
    into it. Check the documentation for your email software to see if it
    offers that kind of feature.
    Shawn Hirn, Oct 21, 2007
  20. GoFlatty

    GoFlatty Guest

    On Oct 21, 9:43 pm, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > GoFlatty <> wrote:
    > > Sorry to all the computer buffs...
    > > I have my digital camera set at maximum size (so I can print clearly
    > > and occasionally get large -size prints). Unfortunately, if I wish to
    > > email a photo to a friend, it takes so long to upload and more
    > > importantly - it must take ages for the recipient to download. Is
    > > there an easy way for me to make the file smaller (without reducing
    > > clarity)?
    > > Thanks!
    > > GoFlatty (Geelong, Australia)

    > You didn't say which OS and email software you use, so its hard to offer
    > specific suggestions. I use the Mail program that comes with Mac OS X
    > and it has a feature to shrink the size of photo images, built right
    > into it. Check the documentation for your email software to see if it
    > offers that kind of feature.

    Thanks, Shawn!
    Will do...
    Cheers!