    How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download?
    _____
    Slack

    Slack, Apr 20, 2006

  2. Slack wrote:

    > I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
    > provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25% complete.

    I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
    fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.

    > How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download? _____
    > Slack

    FTP it to some webspace. Of it's also too big for your freebie space at
    SBC (which is probably the case), upload it to some real webspace if you
    have it; if you don't, look for a free webspace joint and set yourself up
    there. Or burn it to a CD and mail it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006

  3. Slack

    Slack Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:05:11 -0700, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
    >> provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25%
    >> complete.

    > I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
    > fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.
    >
    >> How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download? _____
    >> Slack

    > FTP it to some webspace. Of it's also too big for your freebie space at
    > SBC (which is probably the case), upload it to some real webspace if you
    > have it; if you don't, look for a free webspace joint and set yourself up
    > there. Or burn it to a CD and mail it.

    Cool... thanks for the ideas.

    Slack, Apr 20, 2006
  4. Slack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p,
    Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
    >> provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25%
    >> complete.

    > I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
    > fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.

    For sure! Most ISPs that I've used won't allow anything over 10MB. I have
    the advantage at work of having set myself up with no limits, but we own the
    server ;o)

    >> How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download?
    >> _____ Slack

    > FTP it to some webspace. Of it's also too big for your freebie space
    > at SBC (which is probably the case), upload it to some real webspace
    > if you have it; if you don't, look for a free webspace joint and set
    > yourself up there. Or burn it to a CD and mail it.

    Another option is file splitting software: break it into chunks and email it
    a piece at a time. It is likely to overload the recipients storage quota
    though, so the recipient would probably need to get them saved locally and
    off the ISP's server before you send the next piece. Of course, the
    recipient would also need the correct software to put it back together
    again.

    That's how I used to get my MP3s to work before I had other options. Now,
    with CD/DVD burners, no-limit email, USB drives, etc., I don't bother with
    file splitting.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 20, 2006
  5. Slack

    Plato Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
    > fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.

    Many fine ISPs only give you 10 or 20 meg of space for your email
    accounts.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 20, 2006
  6. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > For sure! Most ISPs that I've used won't allow anything over 10MB. I have
    > the advantage at work of having set myself up with no limits, but we own the
    > server ;o)

    Same here. I've sent the ISOs for Fedora to someone else on the network
    by email. Then when I have to deal with sending a big file to people on
    other servers it's frequently a 2MB limit per email.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 20, 2006
  7. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Another option is file splitting software: break it into chunks and
    > email it a piece at a time. It is likely to overload the recipients
    > storage quota though, so the recipient would probably need to get them
    > saved locally and off the ISP's server before you send the next piece.
    > Of course, the recipient would also need the correct software to put it
    > back together again.

    I just ran across a bit of kit last night (on a web site, not in the
    closet) that I'd forgot all about. It was from back when everyone was on
    a dialup. Do you remember "shotgun modems"? Diamond had a proprietary
    thing going where you could use one of their shotgun modems and
    *two* phone lines and get twice the bandwidth (112Kb/s). But your ISP had
    to have the complimentary setup at the other end. Netcom did, for a
    while, but I think the providers that did were pretty few and far between.
    And yes, the data *was* somehow split between the two lines and rejoined
    at the other end; it wasn't like having two separate lines and modems
    (which I have, now, still, between my four systems <g>).

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006
  8. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> For sure! Most ISPs that I've used won't allow anything over 10MB. I
    >> have the advantage at work of having set myself up with no limits, but
    >> we own the server ;o)

    > Same here. I've sent the ISOs for Fedora to someone else on the network by
    > email. Then when I have to deal with sending a big file to people on other
    > servers it's frequently a 2MB limit per email.

    I've heard of 1MB limits, as well. I think my ISP has one, in fact.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006
  9. Slack

    Slack Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:35:02 -0700, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
    >> fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.

    > Many fine ISPs only give you 10 or 20 meg of space for your email
    > accounts.

    Yeah, I just found out on my yahoo account it caps at 20MB. Sheesh, that
    aint squat these days with broadband... come-on, 100MB should be standard
    <g>
    _____
    Slack

    Slack, Apr 20, 2006
  10. Slack

    wrote:

    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
    >> provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25%
    >> complete.

    > I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
    > fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.
    >
    >> How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download? _____
    >> Slack

    > FTP it to some webspace. Of it's also too big for your freebie space at
    > SBC (which is probably the case), upload it to some real webspace if you
    > have it; if you don't, look for a free webspace joint and set yourself up
    > there. Or burn it to a CD and mail it.

    I just a test at yousendit.com and it worked :) Look like a free account
    can send up to 50MB. Hopefully, I don't get a bunch of homo-erotica spam
    for signing up. I guess it doesn't matter since I'll have a new ISP in a
    few weeks, anyway.

    Thanks [everyone] for the suggestions.
    _____
    Slack

    Slack, Apr 20, 2006
  11. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I just ran across a bit of kit last night (on a web site, not in the
    > closet) that I'd forgot all about. It was from back when everyone was on
    > a dialup. Do you remember "shotgun modems"? Diamond had a proprietary
    > thing going where you could use one of their shotgun modems and
    > *two* phone lines and get twice the bandwidth (112Kb/s). But your ISP had
    > to have the complimentary setup at the other end. Netcom did, for a
    > while, but I think the providers that did were pretty few and far between.
    > And yes, the data *was* somehow split between the two lines and rejoined
    > at the other end; it wasn't like having two separate lines and modems
    > (which I have, now, still, between my four systems <g>).

    I remember shotgun modems. But the idea was doomed due to the expense of
    having two internet accounts, two phone lines and still you could only
    double the data rate of a single modem. Frequently the users are in
    areas that haven't a chance of getting a connection faster than about 24
    or 28k. At least, out here in the boonies that's the case. And
    multiplexing two or more connections is still done all the time at
    places that require high bandwidth. You can get multiple T1 lines all
    stitched together to act as a single high speed line.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 20, 2006

    Take a look at http://www.dropload.com/

    GreenieLeBrun, Apr 20, 2006
  13. Slack wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:05:11 -0700, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Slack wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
    >>> provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25%
    >>> complete.

    >> I'm just guessing, here, but I'm thinking that a good many perfectly
    >> fine ISPs won't allow 50MB attachments.
    >>
    >>> How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download?
    >>> _____ Slack

    >> FTP it to some webspace. Of it's also too big for your freebie space at
    >> SBC (which is probably the case), upload it to some real webspace if you
    >> have it; if you don't, look for a free webspace joint and set yourself
    >> up there. Or burn it to a CD and mail it.
    >>

    > I just a test at yousendit.com and it worked :) Look like a free account
    > can send up to 50MB.

    Fits like a glove.

    > Hopefully, I don't get a bunch of homo-erotica spam for signing up.

    Isn't that what you were uploading? ;)

    > Thanks [everyone] for the suggestions.

    You're welcome.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006
  14. Slack

    Slack Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:02:05 -0700, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >> Hopefully, I don't get a bunch of homo-erotica spam for signing up.

    > Isn't that what you were uploading? ;)

    Shhhhh.... don't spoil the surprise :p

    Slack, Apr 20, 2006
  15. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> I just ran across a bit of kit last night (on a web site, not in the
    >> closet) that I'd forgot all about. It was from back when everyone was
    >> on a dialup. Do you remember "shotgun modems"? Diamond had a
    >> proprietary thing going where you could use one of their shotgun modems
    >> and *two* phone lines and get twice the bandwidth (112Kb/s). But your
    >> ISP had to have the complimentary setup at the other end. Netcom did,
    >> for a while, but I think the providers that did were pretty few and far
    >> between. And yes, the data *was* somehow split between the two lines and
    >> rejoined at the other end; it wasn't like having two separate lines and
    >> modems (which I have, now, still, between my four systems <g>).

    > I remember shotgun modems. But the idea was doomed due to the expense of
    > having two internet accounts, two phone lines and still you could only
    > double the data rate of a single modem. Frequently the users are in areas

    Ayup. As for ISP costs, the thing I read last night spoke of something
    like a "higher speed plan payment". I suspect that didn't amount to the
    cost of two accounts, but it was certainly more than the normal plan.

    > that haven't a chance of getting a connection faster than about 24 or
    > 28k. At least, out here in the boonies that's the case. And multiplexing
    > two or more connections is still done all the time at places that
    > require high bandwidth. You can get multiple T1 lines all stitched
    > together to act as a single high speed line.

    Incidentally, I discovered that while I was looking for details on
    something I saw at Fry's (western US huge electronic toy store with a
    computer/electronics (need some raw PC boards and etch and oscilloscopes?
    <g>) the other day, which I'd not seen before -- also (at least partially)
    a dialup device. It's basically an analog-to-ethernet router with
    firewall. Never saw such an animal. For novelty's sake, here is the very
    unit I saw at Fry's:

    http://www.actiontec.com/support/modems/dualpcmodem.html

    I'll probably be joining everyone else <g> with broadband this year, but
    in the past, with from two to four computers here and a love of
    honest-to-God hardware serial modems with blinky (ahem!) lights, one of
    these wouldv'e been the cat's nuts -- hardware firewall, and avoidance of
    the ICS hassles of using a gateway PC. You can even use one of the two
    ethernet outs for a wireless base station. Again, it's not broadband, but
    it could've made for some pretty nifty narrowbanding. :) Oh, and it was
    only $70 or $80 US, so it wasn't much more than the couple of normal
    serial modems they had.

    I just replaced a serial modem that went south on me -- that's the first
    one I ever had go bad. And it wasn't completely dead, but was having a
    monstrous time logging in and holding a connection; if it made it for a
    minute or two, it was okay; weird. It didn't owe me anything -- I think I
    bought it in 1997. :) The replacement was free -- a manufacturer's rebate
    matched the selling price at Office Depot (the kind of place I do not shop
    for computer kit, but saw a newspaper ad for it).

    The one that was dying after ten years was from, of all houses, *Creative
    Labs". Bet not many people even knew/know that they were shoveling modems
    out the side door of that Sound Blaster factory. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006
  16. Slack wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:02:05 -0700, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Slack wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hopefully, I don't get a bunch of homo-erotica spam for signing up.

    >> Isn't that what you were uploading? ;)

    > Shhhhh.... don't spoil the surprise :p

    Hope your Mom's heart is okay. :)

    JUST KIDDING -- I tried, but I couldn't let that opportunity get away. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006
  17. Slack

    Slack Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:23:36 -0700, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:02:05 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    >> <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Isn't that what you were uploading? ;)

    >> Shhhhh.... don't spoil the surprise :p

    > Hope your Mom's heart is okay. :)
    >
    > JUST KIDDING -- I tried, but I couldn't let that opportunity get away. :)

    hehehe :-D

    And both of my moms are just fine :p

    Slack, Apr 20, 2006
  18. Slack

    Mitch Guest

    In article <op.s8ajavsiumctv2@slacker>, Slack <ack@eat_this.org> wrote:

    > Yeah, I just found out on my yahoo account it caps at 20MB. Sheesh, that
    > aint squat these days with broadband... come-on, 100MB should be standard

    Boy, is that the wrong attitude.
    Improved speed doesn't mean you need to send larger files, and improved
    speed should never be taken as acknowledgement of approving piracy and
    file-sharing.

    In other words, be happy that stuff happens so quickly.
    Don't look for ways to abuse the opportunity.

    Mitch, Apr 20, 2006
  19. A great way to email large files

    Slack skrev:
    > I have a 50mb file I'm trying to eamil a classmate, but my lame DSL
    > provider, SBC, keeps timing-out the email before it is even 25% complete.
    >
    > How do I get this file emailed or at least available for download?
    > _____
    > Slack

    Use this free service:

    http://www.yousendit.com/

    Roger Jansson, Apr 20, 2006
  20. Slack

    Rick Guest

    Re: A great way to email large files

    Not wise to email a 50mb file, even if SBC was nice enough to let
    you send it, then his email service would have to be nice enough to
    allow him to receive a file that size. Best to burn it to CD and mail
    it, that way the postal service will get their chance to see if they can
    break
    another CD coming through the mail.

    Rick, Apr 20, 2006