Email while traveling

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SuperVHS, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. SuperVHS

    SuperVHS Guest

    Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
    missing something, etc)
    I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
    memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
    online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
    v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
    anticipate it to be a problem.)

    My idea is to run an xxcopy bat file right before I leave to transfer
    the most recent image to the stick. Use the image on the stick while
    away. Run another xxcopy bat file when I get back to transfer the image
    back to my computer.
    In limited reading of the switches (boy there's a lot of them) it seems
    that /clone going both ways would be what to use. Or perhaps /bu?
    Which is best in this case?

    Does that seem feasible to do? I'm not all that familiar with them, so
    are memory sticks, properly protected, adequate to this task? (I'm aware
    of the common pitfalls: they can get lost, fall in water, etc. and if
    they do I will have lost all email from the time I left up til the last
    time it was retrieved before it was broken.)

    Thanks for the help!

    SuperVHS, Nov 2, 2007

  2. SuperVHS

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <>
    wrote:

    >Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
    >missing something, etc)
    >I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
    >memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
    >online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
    >v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
    >anticipate it to be a problem.)
    >
    >My idea is to run an xxcopy bat file right before I leave to transfer
    >the most recent image to the stick. Use the image on the stick while
    >away. Run another xxcopy bat file when I get back to transfer the image
    >back to my computer.
    >In limited reading of the switches (boy there's a lot of them) it seems
    >that /clone going both ways would be what to use. Or perhaps /bu?
    >Which is best in this case?
    >
    >Does that seem feasible to do? I'm not all that familiar with them, so
    >are memory sticks, properly protected, adequate to this task? (I'm aware
    >of the common pitfalls: they can get lost, fall in water, etc. and if
    >they do I will have lost all email from the time I left up til the last
    >time it was retrieved before it was broken.)

    I use agent 1.93. on home pc and laptop
    Just drag and drop the whole agent folder onto the stick then drag and
    drop it back when you come home.

    Alfred, Nov 2, 2007

  3. On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <> wrote:

    > Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
    > missing something, etc)
    > I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
    > memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
    > online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
    > v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
    > anticipate it to be a problem.)
    >
    > My idea is to run an xxcopy bat file right before I leave to transfer
    > the most recent image to the stick. Use the image on the stick while
    > away. Run another xxcopy bat file when I get back to transfer the image
    > back to my computer.
    > In limited reading of the switches (boy there's a lot of them) it seems
    > that /clone going both ways would be what to use. Or perhaps /bu?
    > Which is best in this case?
    >
    > Does that seem feasible to do? I'm not all that familiar with them, so
    > are memory sticks, properly protected, adequate to this task? (I'm aware
    > of the common pitfalls: they can get lost, fall in water, etc. and if
    > they do I will have lost all email from the time I left up til the last
    > time it was retrieved before it was broken.)
    >
    > Thanks for the help!

    For the record, Mobility E-mail is designed to do this precisely. It's an
    adaptation of Thunderbird, quite stable, and fully portable. Sorry, don't
    have the link.

    Jeffrey Needle

    Jeffrey Needle, Nov 3, 2007
  4. SuperVHS

    Guest

    Alfred <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
    >>missing something, etc)
    >>I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
    >>memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
    >>online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
    >>v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
    >>anticipate it to be a problem.)

    >I use agent 1.93. on home pc and laptop
    >Just drag and drop the whole agent folder onto the stick then drag and
    >drop it back when you come home.

    This can be done with any version of Agent - but if you do this you
    need to edit the agent.ini

    Every thing under:
    [Directories]
    Home="D:\Agent Data base\Agent\Data"

    Juggling Bowling Balls
    http://www.loanmeyoursister.com/?p=36

    , Nov 3, 2007
  5. SuperVHS

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    http://www.mobilityemail.net/

    --
    Bear Bottoms
    Freeware website http://bearbottoms1.com

    Bear Bottoms, Nov 3, 2007
  6. On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:06:34 -0500, Bear Bottoms <>
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:31:51 -0500, Jeffrey Needle
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> For the record, Mobility E-mail is designed to do this precisely. It's
    >> an adaptation of Thunderbird, quite stable, and fully portable. Sorry,
    >> don't have the link.
    >>

    > http://www.mobilityemail.net/

    Thanks, Bear.

    Jeffrey Needle

    Jeffrey Needle, Nov 3, 2007
  7. SuperVHS

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:44:49 -0500, Jeffrey Needle <>
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:06:34 -0500, Bear Bottoms <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:31:51 -0500, Jeffrey Needle
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> For the record, Mobility E-mail is designed to do this precisely.
    >>> It's an adaptation of Thunderbird, quite stable, and fully portable.
    >>> Sorry, don't have the link.
    >>>

    >> http://www.mobilityemail.net/
    >>

    > Thanks, Bear.

    Hey, I just helped a bit. You brought attention to the program. It looks
    promising...thank you.

    Bear Bottoms, Nov 3, 2007
  8. SuperVHS

    Plato Guest

    SuperVHS wrote:

    > Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
    > missing something, etc)
    > I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a

    Often I use:

    http://www.mail2web.com/

    When out of town to get my POP email.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 4, 2007
  9. SuperVHS

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:30:58 -0700, wrote:

    > Alfred <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
    >>>missing something, etc)
    >>>I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
    >>>memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
    >>>online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
    >>>v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
    >>>anticipate it to be a problem.)

    >>I use agent 1.93. on home pc and laptop
    >>Just drag and drop the whole agent folder onto the stick then drag and
    >>drop it back when you come home.

    >This can be done with any version of Agent - but if you do this you
    >need to edit the agent.ini
    >
    >Every thing under:
    >[Directories]
    >Home="D:\Agent Data base\Agent\Data"

    I just copy it all to the c drive on the other pc. Works okay for me

    Alfred, Nov 4, 2007
  10. SuperVHS

    Guest

    Alfred <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:30:58 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> Alfred <> wrote:

    >>>I use agent 1.93. on home pc and laptop
    >>>Just drag and drop the whole agent folder onto the stick then drag and
    >>>drop it back when you come home.

    >>This can be done with any version of Agent - but if you do this you
    >>need to edit the agent.ini

    >>Every thing under:
    >>[Directories]
    >>Home="D:\Agent Data base\Agent\Data"

    >I just copy it all to the c drive on the other pc. Works okay for me

    Ya to the same place no problem (and no special folders for certain
    groups), but s/he was talking of putting it on a Pen drive.

    --

    Romanian Host Beats Up Guests
    http://www.break.com/index/how_to_get_point_across.html

    , Nov 4, 2007
  11. wrote in
    <> on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:30:58
    -0700:

    >This can be done with any version of Agent - but if you do this you
    >need to edit the agent.ini
    >
    >Every thing under:
    >[Directories]
    >Home="D:\Agent Data base\Agent\Data"

    If you have configured Agent correctly there is no need to edit agent.ini
    when moving Agent. Eg., the value for Home= should be blank.
    --
    Carroll Robbins

    Carroll Robbins, Nov 4, 2007
  12. SuperVHS

    Guest

    Carroll Robbins <> wrote:

    > wrote in
    ><> on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:30:58
    >-0700:
    >
    >>This can be done with any version of Agent - but if you do this you
    >>need to edit the agent.ini
    >>
    >>Every thing under:
    >>[Directories]
    >>Home="D:\Agent Data base\Agent\Data"

    >If you have configured Agent correctly there is no need to edit agent.ini
    >when moving Agent. Eg., the value for Home= should be blank.

    Woops, used Agent for so long that Home has always had a path for me,
    forgot that default is blank. I have a special directory that
    everything agent sits - I do copy the directory over with each new
    machine I use (always on D drive- habit)

    Mine's config'd correctly for me.
    --

    Bubble Wrap
    http://public.aregner.com/bubblewrap.swf

    , Nov 5, 2007
  13. wrote in
    <> on Sun, 04 Nov 2007 17:53:45
    -0800:

    > Carroll Robbins <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in
    >><> on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:30:58
    >>-0700:
    >>
    >>>This can be done with any version of Agent - but if you do this you
    >>>need to edit the agent.ini
    >>>
    >>>Every thing under:
    >>>[Directories]
    >>>Home="D:\Agent Data base\Agent\Data"

    >>If you have configured Agent correctly there is no need to edit agent.ini
    >>when moving Agent. Eg., the value for Home= should be blank.

    >Woops, used Agent for so long that Home has always had a path for me,
    >forgot that default is blank. I have a special directory that
    >everything agent sits - I do copy the directory over with each new
    >machine I use (always on D drive- habit)
    >
    >Mine's config'd correctly for me.

    The point is that specifying a directory for Home= is not necessary and is
    an accident waiting to happen. If you do and don't edit it when you move or
    copy the data directory you will get a very nasty surprise.
    --
    Carroll Robbins

    Carroll Robbins, Nov 5, 2007
  14. SuperVHS

    Martin Jay Guest

    <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <> wrote:
    >> Does that seem feasible to do? I'm not all that familiar with them, so
    >> are memory sticks, properly protected, adequate to this task? (I'm aware
    >> of the common pitfalls: they can get lost, fall in water, etc. and if
    >> they do I will have lost all email from the time I left up til the last
    >> time it was retrieved before it was broken.)

    >For the record, Mobility E-mail is designed to do this precisely. It's an
    >adaptation of Thunderbird, quite stable, and fully portable. Sorry, don't
    >have the link.

    Thunderbird also comes as part of the Portable Apps package, see
    <http://portableapps.com/>.

    It also includes Firefox and Pidgin. Very useful. :)
    --
    Martin Jay

    Martin Jay, Nov 6, 2007
  15. On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <>
    wrote:

    > Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
    > missing something, etc)
    > I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
    > memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
    > online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
    > v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
    > anticipate it to be a problem.) <snip>

    As already answered, yes, just copying Agent's configuration and data
    files to some portable media at the start, and back at the end, should
    be fine. Assuming of course you can get suitable (and trustworthy)
    machine(s) to run on during the trip. Running directly off the stick
    might be slow; if that's a problem, copy to the temporary machine,
    run, and copy back; repeat until done.

    > Does that seem feasible to do? I'm not all that familiar with them, so
    > are memory sticks, properly protected, adequate to this task? (I'm aware
    > of the common pitfalls: they can get lost, fall in water, etc. and if
    > they do I will have lost all email from the time I left up til the last
    > time it was retrieved before it was broken.)

    If in "Servers and Accounts" under Inbound you tick "Leave messages on
    server" then (this instance of) Agent will fetch without deleting,
    until you turn it off. If you don't exceed any limits your provider
    may set on how much traffic they will keep in your mailbox or for how
    long, you can if needed revert to your old Agent database and it will
    then re-fetch everything from the "lost" interval.

    David Thompson, Nov 12, 2007