    nothing. Should I just delete these files or ?
    Regards,
    Solar^

    Solar^, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Solar^

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Solar^ spewed forth:
    > Greetings Group,
    > There's a spoofing email virus on the loose in someones address book
    > that contains my address. I received about a half dozen returned
    > emails which I did not send from some AOL server, reason being
    > unrepairable virus. The returned emails all have an attachment with a
    > .dat extension. Ran Norton over it and Housecall and both turned up
    > nothing. Should I just delete these files or ?
    > Regards,
    > Solar^

    Dump 'em.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Solar^

    Mike Easter Guest

    Solar^ wrote:

    > There's a spoofing email virus on the loose in someones address book
    > that contains my address.

    Not necessarily. Virus propagations derive from 'everywhere' on the
    infected system, not just addressbooks.

    > I received about a half dozen returned
    > emails which I did not send from some AOL server, reason being
    > unrepairable virus.

    That is a misdirected bounce.

    If those are really from an AOL server which is 'returning' ie sending
    a newmail addressed to the bogus From of a viral propagation, that is an
    abusive and reportable server misbehavior.

    From the SpamCop FAQ for server administrators who have been reported
    for abusive behavior:

    Why are auto responders bad? Misdirected bounces
    http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html

    > The returned emails all have an attachment with a
    > .dat extension. Ran Norton over it and Housecall and both turned up
    > nothing.

    The structure of the mail you receive would have the headers from the
    server to you, and an attachment might be informational. You can
    examine the structure of the item and figure out what is going on
    without doing anything dangerous. How to do that would depend on the
    mailuser agent.

    > Should I just delete these files or ?

    It depends on what you like to report. Some people would be reporting
    servers which are acting abusively with misdirected bounces to get them
    to stop doing that. A server's admin doesn't like to have hir server
    listed on the SC blocklist.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Solar^

    Mike Easter Guest

    Solar^ wrote:

    > I received about a half dozen returned
    > emails which I did not send from some AOL server, reason being
    > unrepairable virus. The returned emails all have an attachment with a
    > .dat extension.

    The other thing which can mislead is a bogus returned mail. Some
    propagations [or even spams] are designed to look like returned mails.
    Some of those propagations are 'b0rken' and fail to carry the
    propagation payload.

    > Ran Norton over it and Housecall and both turned up
    > nothing. Should I just delete these files or ?

    If it is a b0rken propagation or spam, the only thing reportable is the
    propagator or source to hir provider, if you are so inclined.

    It is an unsolicited mail. The business of whether or not you feel like
    'messing with' a process by which various remedies are achievable vs
    those activities which are mostly or entirely a waste of time and not
    worth bothering with depends on what it is you are receiving.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Solar^

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Solar^
    <> wrote:

    > Greetings Group,
    > There's a spoofing email virus on the loose in someones address book
    > that contains my address. I received about a half dozen returned
    > emails which I did not send from some AOL server, reason being
    > unrepairable virus. The returned emails all have an attachment with a
    > .dat extension. Ran Norton over it and Housecall and both turned up
    > nothing. Should I just delete these files or ?

    Returned notices and message failed notices are simply information,
    often that someone else used your address.
    There is nothing to do. Delete them.

    If your ISP ever complains about activity you know is not yours,
    getting them to double-check would be enough. It is a lot for them to
    research each incident, and viruses cause a LOT of incidents.

    Mitch, Nov 17, 2005