Email Virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by =The Anti-n00b=, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. I am all the sudden getting a flood of emails that appear to come from
    Microsoft, with exe files attached. I've gotten like 20 of these so far in
    the last hour, and for obvious reasons I am not opening the attachments. Is
    this something new thats going around? I'm using WinXP Pro SP1 with all the
    updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Here's the body of the
    email I'm getting:

    Microsoft User

    this is the latest version of security update, the "January 2004,
    Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities
    affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as
    three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping your
    computer secure from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could
    allow an attacker to run code on your computer. This update includes the
    functionality of all previously released patches.

    System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
    This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
    MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
    MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
    Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest
    opportunity.
    How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box.
    How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

    Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can be
    found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related
    information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security
    Advisor web site, or Contact Us.

    Thank you for using Microsoft products.

    Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored
    e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

    The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are
    the trademarks of their respective owners.

    Contact Us | Legal | TRUSTe
    ©2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |
    Privacy Statement | Accessibility

    =The Anti-n00b=, Jan 3, 2004

  2. =The Anti-n00b=

    LeAnn Guest

    It's been around for a while. Microsoft never sends out attachments in
    their emails.

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Bah ... just installed Norton.

    They all have W32.Swen.A@mm

    Wow ... this thing is nasty ...
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    =The Anti-n00b=, Jan 3, 2004
  4. =The Anti-n00b=

    Jerry G. Guest

    This type of email has been going around for about a year now. Microsoft,
    and all the professional companies never send attachments in their emails.
    Infact, these companies will never email someone unless that person has done
    an enquiry directly to them. If they require the person to download a driver
    or upgrade, they will indicate or show a link to their official site. On
    their site there will be a way to contact them, or to simply verify the
    integrity of their information.

    To check for upgrades for any kind of reputable software, the user should
    log on to the manufacture site, and do an enquiry directly, or search their
    site for the required files, and information.

    If you look closely at the headers in the HTML code of these unsolicited
    emails, you will be able to see that they are coming from various return
    addresses that have nothing to do with the manufacture of the files that
    they are suggesting.

    Never open any attachments that come in your emails, unless you know that
    the source can be trusted. If the source is trusted, first scan the files
    with an updated virus scanner for safety. The sender may have a problem and
    not even know it!

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 4, 2004
  5. =The Anti-n00b=

    Ted Nowicki Guest

    If you look at the Microsoft in the top corner.(You know how it said
    'Microsoft") and look close at that text you will be that in the word
    Microsoft, the s is not connected to the o. Pro comanys never send out
    attachments in there emails.

    Ted Nowicki, Apr 8, 2004
  6. =The Anti-n00b=

    HF Guest

    It has been going around for a long time now but Microsoft NEVER sends
    messages to individuals so it just means delete as a routine.

    ---

    HF, Apr 8, 2004