    sure text messages will always be 'safe' but wondered about html messages.

    TIA,
    Crash.

    Crash, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Crash

    Enkidu Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > Is it possible to activate a virus merely by opening a message? I have
    > fairly sure text messages will always be 'safe' but wondered about html
    > messages.

    Javascript in HTML may do nasty things, so yes, it is possible to
    activate *something* by opening an HTML message.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 23, 2006

  3. Crash

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <g4%Af.19594$>,
    lid says...
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > Is it possible to activate a virus merely by opening a message? I have fairly
    > sure text messages will always be 'safe' but wondered about html messages.

    Good email clients block html content that "points back to the web" - ie
    isn't local. (eg. an html image that is not imbedded, but rather got
    from a server).

    It would help if you mentioned what email client are you using?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Crash

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:09:28 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > Crash wrote:
    >> Greetings all,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to activate a virus merely by opening a message? I have
    >> fairly sure text messages will always be 'safe' but wondered about html
    >> messages.
    >>

    > Javascript in HTML may do nasty things, so yes, it is possible to activate
    > *something* by opening an HTML message.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    add something like that recent wmf vulnerability, and something *claiming*
    to be a .jpeg could execute code on a computer, just by opening the mail

    --
    What makes the universe so hard to comprehend is that there's nothing
    to compare it with.

    Shane, Jan 24, 2006