Email to text broadcast

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BTMO, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. BTMO

    BTMO Guest

    Folks,

    I need some great ideas. I have a need to send bulk text messages (NOT
    spam - it is all work related!) about once per week to a group of up to a
    couple of hundred people - perhaps more. Unsure at this stage.

    I want to send the messages from a PC, with a *very* simple interface (I
    won't be entering most of the messages, and I certainly won't be maintaining
    the list of users), and I it to have the ability to manage the user list -
    so different messages can be sent to different sub-user groups.

    I want to be able to send texts to people on both the vodafone and telecom
    networks seamlessly.

    I want to pay for the tool, and I want to pay for each text sent (it is
    after all a business use) - though obviously at the lowest price possible.

    I think that is all I want at this stage...

    Does anyone know of a commerical tool (or a bloody good free one) that will
    do what I want?

    If I think of anything else I need, I'll let you know.

    Feel free to email me (my btmo address is live) if you are uncomfortable
    about touting your wares in a newsgroup...

    I contacted Telecom and Vodafone - so far Telecom wants to sell me something
    that would cost more than the operating budget for my department, and
    vodafone haven't bothered responding... so I am looking forward to hearing
    what is out there!

    Cheers,

    Brenton
    BTMO, Sep 16, 2005

  2. BTMO

    Harry Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > I need some great ideas. I have a need to send bulk text messages (NOT
    > spam - it is all work related!) about once per week to a group of up to a
    > couple of hundred people - perhaps more. Unsure at this stage.
    >
    > I want to send the messages from a PC, with a *very* simple interface (I
    > won't be entering most of the messages, and I certainly won't be
    > maintaining the list of users), and I it to have the ability to manage the
    > user list - so different messages can be sent to different sub-user
    > groups.
    >
    > I want to be able to send texts to people on both the vodafone and telecom
    > networks seamlessly.
    >
    > I want to pay for the tool, and I want to pay for each text sent (it is
    > after all a business use) - though obviously at the lowest price possible.
    >
    > I think that is all I want at this stage...
    >
    > Does anyone know of a commerical tool (or a bloody good free one) that
    > will do what I want?
    >
    > If I think of anything else I need, I'll let you know.
    >
    > Feel free to email me (my btmo address is live) if you are uncomfortable
    > about touting your wares in a newsgroup...
    >
    > I contacted Telecom and Vodafone - so far Telecom wants to sell me
    > something that would cost more than the operating budget for my
    > department, and vodafone haven't bothered responding... so I am looking
    > forward to hearing what is out there!

    It is so simple.
    Get a Linux box, install gnokii (and others) as email/sms gateways,
    and send your stuff.

    BTW you need a mobile phone too (LOL)!

    Next question.
    Harry, Sep 16, 2005

  3. BTMO

    SNOman Guest

    http://www.message-media.co.nz/email.html
    SNOman, Sep 19, 2005
  4. BTMO

    BTMO Guest

    "SNOman" <> wrote

    >> I need some great ideas. I have a need to send bulk text messages (NOT
    >> spam - it is all work related!) about once per week to a group of up to a
    >> couple of hundred people - perhaps more. Unsure at this stage.
    >>
    >> I want to send the messages from a PC, with a *very* simple interface (I
    >> won't be entering most of the messages, and I certainly won't be
    >> maintaining the list of users), and I it to have the ability to manage
    >> the user list - so different messages can be sent to different sub-user
    >> groups.
    >>
    >> I want to be able to send texts to people on both the vodafone and
    >> telecom networks seamlessly.
    >>
    >> I want to pay for the tool, and I want to pay for each text sent (it is
    >> after all a business use) - though obviously at the lowest price
    >> possible.

    > http://www.message-media.co.nz/email.html

    Yeah, I saw that one when I was doing my homework before posting. Thanks
    though!!

    Do you have any first hand experience with them, esp. price?

    I *will* be emailing them for details, but was hoping to get more a few more
    options...

    Cheers,

    Brenton
    BTMO, Sep 19, 2005