    I use Thunderbird 0.8 as my email client. With each email message is
    displayed a date/time. Are these the time of creation of the email or
    the time the email message was received?

    joseph white, Dec 28, 2004

  2. joseph white

    Moz Champion Guest

    joseph white wrote:
    > I use Thunderbird 0.8 as my email client. With each email message is
    > displayed a date/time. Are these the time of creation of the email or
    > the time the email message was received?

    Time of creation.
    Each message is time-date stamped by the originating program with
    Universal time plus an offset (+ or -) to account for the location of
    the sender.

    For example:
    If I sent a message at 13 Dec 2004 20:19 (8:19 PM) from the Eastern time
    zone
    It would be time date stamped as 14 Dec 2004 01:19 (1:19 AM) with an
    offset of -5

    Thunderbird takes the Universal time, and applies YOUR offset to it, to
    display the time date stamp in your local time. For the above message if
    you were in Eastern, it would display 13 Dec 20:19, but if you were in
    say Pacific time zone it would display 13 Dec 17:19 (5:19 PM) because
    thats what time it was to you when written.

    This assumes of course that your clock is set correctly, and that your
    current location is also correct (so the proper offset can be applied)

    TB only displays time for messages received today, it displays time and
    date for older messages.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org