    Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long path
    to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 1, 2006

  2. PeeCee

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
    > store folders where they do.
    >
    > Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
    > Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
    >
    > Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long
    > path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.
    >
    > Paul.

    To keep nosey people out of them.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 2, 2006

  3. PeeCee

    -=rjh=- Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
    > store folders where they do.
    >
    > Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
    > Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?

    I don't think so. My Documents shouldn't be cluttered up with files that
    are only ever accessed or viewable through a particular application;
    almost certainly some users would think they weren't necessary and
    delete them.

    In the default location, Thunderbird mail gets backed up when you back
    up all of the Documents and Settings folder, which seems sensible to me.
    Why would you want to deal with mail separately - it all needs backing
    up, surely?

    And it is a hell of a lot better than the original braindead location
    that OE used to store its files.

    > Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long path
    > to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.

    Once it is set up and automated, surely it doesn't matter? The client
    will never have to deal with it.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 2, 2006
  4. PeeCee

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their
    > email store folders where they do.
    >
    > Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
    > Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
    >
    > Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the
    > long path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.

    I always change the path on installation to a folder that I regularly back
    up as I have saved messages that go back years which I like to keep.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 2, 2006
  5. In message <>, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > My Documents shouldn't be cluttered up with files that
    > are only ever accessed or viewable through a particular application...

    You mean, like Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2006
  6. In message <1159743379.406046@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >> Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long
    >> path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.

    > To keep nosey people out of them.

    Security through convolution??

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2006
  7. PeeCee

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> My Documents shouldn't be cluttered up with files that
    >> are only ever accessed or viewable through a particular application...

    > You mean, like Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents?

    No, I don't.

    Those documents (user-created data) are viewable by multiple
    applications as bare, standalone files, and often managed by the user
    directly using Windows Explorer. At the time documents are generated,
    the user is given the choice of where to save them, so they can use My
    Documents (which is the first-run default for some filetypes) if they wish.

    They are quite different to something like an email store (which is
    application data), which is set up for the application at installation,
    never seen by the user, and difficult to view or manage using any other
    application than the one that generated it. Likewise, there is no need
    for the user to ever be aware of the huge amount of clutter behind
    something like their Firefox profile, having this in My Documents would
    be confusing.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 6, 2006
  8. In article <1159743379.406046@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
    > > store folders where they do.
    > >
    > > Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
    > > Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
    > >
    > > Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long
    > > path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.
    > >
    > > Paul.

    > To keep nosey people out of them.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    The location for Mozilla is in the user's profile. On a networked
    computer this means the files will be uploaded back to the server if
    roaming profiles are enabled. The Application Data folder can also be
    redirected seamlessly to a network location. These measures ensure files
    are always backed up.

    NZ School Tech, Oct 12, 2006
  9. PeeCee

    TomC Guest

    NZ School Tech wrote:
    > In article <1159743379.406046@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >> "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
    >>> store folders where they do.
    >>>
    >>> Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
    >>> Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
    >>>
    >>> Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long
    >>> path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.
    >>>
    >>> Paul.

    >> To keep nosey people out of them.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > The location for Mozilla is in the user's profile. On a networked
    > computer this means the files will be uploaded back to the server if
    > roaming profiles are enabled. The Application Data folder can also be
    > redirected seamlessly to a network location. These measures ensure files
    > are always backed up.

    copy the store folder to where you want, then go
    to Account Settings > Server Settings &
    change all the Local Directories to the new location

    cheers Tom
    --
    * Thankfully this message was not scanned by AVG
    Free *

    TomC, Oct 12, 2006
  10. On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:58:55 +1300, PeeCee wrote:

    > Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
    > store folders where they do.
    >
    > Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
    > Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
    >
    > Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long path
    > to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.
    >
    > Paul.

    Hmmm, on OS X they do for Eudora and Entourage stroage folders in the
    Documents folder, and from time to time some users move them ... and end up
    with a nice clean and empty mail folder.

    wogers nemesis, Oct 12, 2006