    compressed?

    TIA

    Mike

    Mike, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Mike

    Moz Champion Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > What is the default location for the data files of Thunderbird and are they
    > compressed?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Mike

    On Windows 2000/XP, the path is usually
    %AppData%\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\, where xxxxxxxx is
    a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and
    Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ and the rest
    should be obvious.

    On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application
    Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\.

    On Linux, the path is usually ~/.thunderbird/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.

    On MacOS X, the path is usually
    ~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.

    Mail is kept within the Mail folder of course
    each file has its own name, its own index (name.msf), and (if there are
    sub folders) its own filedirectory (name.sbd)

    the files you are interested in are the name ones only

    No, files are not normally compressed

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for that. You are spot on. Sadly they are compressed. Why in these
    days of multigigabyte drives? But at least I can back them up.
    Change accounts with Microsoft's thing and lose the lot.

    Mike

    Mike, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Mea culpa. I should have read your signal all the way through.
    In fact mine seem to be compressed. Is there a switch there?

    Mike

    Mike, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Mike wrote:
    > Mea culpa. I should have read your signal all the way through.
    > In fact mine seem to be compressed. Is there a switch there?
    >
    > Mike
    >
    >>the files you are interested in are the name ones only
    >>
    >>No, files are not normally compressed
    >>
    >>--

    You are talking about the mail files themselves, such as Inbox? They
    are plain text files, not compressed in any way. What exactly do you
    mean by "compressed"?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 30, 2004
  6. Mike

    .brian. Guest

    (On 9/30/2004 6:23 AM) Mike wrote:
    > Thanks for that. You are spot on. Sadly they are compressed. Why in these
    > days of multigigabyte drives? But at least I can back them up.
    > Change accounts with Microsoft's thing and lose the lot.

    They're not compressed. Mail is stored in MSF format.

    If you are interested in backing up your information, then you might
    want to look at MozBackup. I've never encountered a problem with it
    backing up my information.

    MozBackup: [http://backup.jasnapaka.com]

    --
    Brian